Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM

15 posts, read 77,798 times

Advertisements

I am an experienced IT Professional with an active Top Secret security clearance and currently working for a Department of Defense contracting company. I've been applying for "security clearance required" positions in Colorado Springs with Northrop Grumman, Lockheed, Boeing, General Dynamics, etc. for several months and haven't gotten anywhere. I thought that with my level of clearance and the number of military/government facilities in the area that it wouldn't be so hard to find a job, but maybe I'm not as marketable as I think

I was hoping to find a job first and then move to Colorado Springs, but now I'm considering moving first and then finding a job. But before I take that step I'd like to reassure myself that there is a job market there for DoD contractors. If you look at the websites for the companies I mentioned above there are a lot of positions available in Colorado Springs with these companies. So I'd like to think that the reason I haven't heard back from any of them is mainly because I'm not locally available and not because contractors with Top Secret clearances are a dime a dozen there

Any advice or comments are welcome!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 33,168 times
Join the club! I am a professional that moved to Co. from Ca. 2-1/2 yrs ago, an experienced, qualified professional. I still have not found a job that pays me for what I am worth. As I understand, people take big pay cuts to live in Co., I don't see a great job market here. I would definitely get the job before you move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlypSyde View Post
I am an experienced IT Professional with an active Top Secret security clearance and currently working for a Department of Defense contracting company. I've been applying for "security clearance required" positions in Colorado Springs with Northrop Grumman, Lockheed, Boeing, General Dynamics, etc. for several months and haven't gotten anywhere. I thought that with my level of clearance and the number of military/government facilities in the area that it wouldn't be so hard to find a job, but maybe I'm not as marketable as I think

I was hoping to find a job first and then move to Colorado Springs, but now I'm considering moving first and then finding a job. But before I take that step I'd like to reassure myself that there is a job market there for DoD contractors. If you look at the websites for the companies I mentioned above there are a lot of positions available in Colorado Springs with these companies. So I'd like to think that the reason I haven't heard back from any of them is mainly because I'm not locally available and not because contractors with Top Secret clearances are a dime a dozen there

Any advice or comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 28,843 times
http://www.titan.com/careers/list.html?select=2

Try the above link. If you see something you like, let me know!

Dave

Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM

641 posts, read 2,277,237 times
Flypside,

Many times, companies post openings, fill them with someone internally, and then don't remove them for a while. With all the military and government folks here, there's also a lot of competition.

What I did was post a resume on all the big job boards with a local Colorado address and phone number. If you have a relative in town, maybe you could use his/her address on your resume'? That's what I did.

Before I left the DC area, it took a few months before someone bit, but I eventually had a job lined up before moving. Oddly enough, soon after I got here, I got many phone contacts for local companies based on the same resume.

I did take a pay cut, but not a drastic one. Payscales are definitely NOT the same as in DC, but neither is the cost of living. I was more than happy to take a cut in pay and not deal with the stress, traffic, cost of living, weather, etc.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-07-2007 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Added NOT to above statement. Terrytee, if that's not what you MEANT, send me a PM.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM

@ scubagirl
I'm hoping that the job market for DoD contractors with security clearances is a different story from the overall job market in Colorado Springs. For the positions I'm targeting I wouldn't really be competing against every other IT Pro in the area, just every other IT Pro with a security clearance Granted, there are probably fewer such positions available but there are also fewer people qualified to fill them. I think my odds are better!

@ Terytee
Did you not have to interview for jobs in Colorado Springs While you were still living in DC? I have a buddy who's address I could use but I'm hesitant to do so because I don't know how a company would react to finding out that I'm not really living in the area yet

@davidf
Looks like slim pickings with L3 Communications Titan in Colorado Springs. The position I come closest to being qualified for is Requirements Analyst (Req. No. OSS-C06-350). My current job is also on a SETA support contract for the Air Force

Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 15,357 times
The job market in Colorado Springs can be difficult. However, with a TS and an IT background you shouldn't have trouble finding a contracting job either in the Springs or Denver. There are government contracting jobs that require both IT and a TS clearance here. As far as how much they pay.... I'm not sure, but at least the cost of living is much lower than in CA. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Thanks CS_Laura!

I'm not looking to make mega-bucks. My wife and I are really just looking for a change of pace from where we live and work now. With all the military/gov't facilities in the area, Colorado Springs just seemed like a good choice for someone with a security clearance to find a job.

I'm really only considering living and working in Colorado Springs, but what is the commute like from Colorado Springs to Denver?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM

648 posts, read 2,941,164 times
I have seen postings for DOD work on military.com. You may want to check that out. Have you looked into SAIC? My husband did DOD work for them, great company w/ good benefits. bashep

Old 02-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks bashep! I'll have to check out military.com more closely. I've been to their site before but I didn't realize they had a careers section. I've applied for several different jobs with SAIC and didn't hear back on any of them. I'm hoping it's because I'm applying out of state and not because they think I'm not qualified.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 PM

648 posts, read 2,941,164 times
I am guessing that it is because you are from outa state. If you were here and applied, you would have probably already been hired. The companies are now thinking that it cost too much money to fly people out for interviews and relocation fees. Have you posted your resume on the job search website? I have heard of some people getting P.O. Boxes in C/S and listing that for an address and then applying for jobs. bashep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs