Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM

235 posts, read 356,185 times

Advertisements

I don't know why anybody buys new anywhere. Just seems like most of what's being put up is garbage that will struggle to last 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Because half the city is from somewhere else and have no clue...it has commanding views of the rest of the city, prices are reasonable, it has easy access to westside mountains and their recreation. In short, aside from the ground issues, its the perfect place to live.
That can be pretty significant (as we see). unstable soil structure can great a ghost town (happened in a nearby WA development).

I would be concerned about chemicals (natural / MM) leaching into air and water and soils.
Worse fears is an underground spring turns to a river (happens).

In our neck of the woods, the county planners become future lobbyists / land use consultants and attorneys for developers. None of those people actually LIVE in the place they propagate. (They dwell in the 'cream-of-the-community' locations, That is why they make (zone) them. (for personal gain). $500k tax free every 24 months is an additional incentive. One friend (ex county (planner) did it 9x. Repeat as necessary.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,399,482 times
I agree its significant and I would not buy there myself, but the fact remains that our population growth over the last 30 years means you have people who don't know the history who are buying from people who don't know the history, promoted by people who think they have buried the past.

The cycle of planners developers you describe is SOP in El Paso County, and has been all my lifetime, and I'd add they they also profit from density, which is why .5-1 acre lots are such a rarity in Cos.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,116,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
And why do people continue to buy there? It's absolutely insane.
Because people want new, new, new, it's close to the mountains & a good amount of our population is from somewhere else & are not aware of the history. And don't even get me going on the susceptibility to propaganda.

So many older, established neighborhoods here with great people & sturdy houses compared to those deathtraps.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:30 PM

830 posts, read 745,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Because people want new, new, new, it's close to the mountains & a good amount of our population is from somewhere else & are not aware of the history. And don't even get me going on the susceptibility to propaganda.

So many older, established neighborhoods here with great people & sturdy houses compared to those deathtraps.
I wonder if they signed any disclosures about the land when purchasing....perhaps acknowledging the soil condition or history at first sale.

But yeah, I get it I guess, although I would never make that choice. It's hard to detach from the dream and the new everything.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
I wonder if they signed any disclosures about the land when purchasing....perhaps acknowledging the soil condition or history at first sale.

But yeah, I get it I guess, although I would never make that choice. It's hard to detach from the dream and the new everything.
According to some of the articles in the Gazette; no, it was not disclosed but there was talk about it back in 2008.

Quote:
"Welcome To Arsenic Acres!

And then the California-based John Laing Homes started building homes under the actual banner of "More Thought Per Square Foot," a motto that narrowly beat out several other fine suggestions including, "Wow! Look at the Size of Our Kids' Heads!"
"
https://www.csindy.com/coloradosprin...nt?oid=1142315

LOL! Okay; that's obviously satire but for good reason & the Independent IS a widely read publication.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:28 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,339,263 times
Default Gold Hill Mesa residents describe cracks

https://gazette.com/premium/gold-hil...2045a8b63.html

"Many residents of Gold Hill Mesa reacted with disbelief and anger earlier this year when the Colorado Geological Survey recommended that the soil under their neighborhood be tested further for its settlement potential.

They say they’ve seen no signs of ground movement, cracking foundations or damage to their homes.

But several residents interviewed by The Gazette outlined cracks, flooding and other problems they’ve had with their homes or saw in others. At least three residents have commissioned inspections of their homes or now seek experts to examine their property. Several residents there have kept track of homes throughout the development where they’ve seen flooding, heard of cracking or other problems.

All those who reached out to The Gazette or who were contacted by The Gazette about problems or concerns wanted anonymity because they are worried that voicing such concerns could bring them legal troubles and scorn in the neighborhood.

The developer and fellow residents “would absolutely crucify anybody who goes against the community,” said one woman who lives there. “They literally will destroy the sale of your home.”

“I want out of the neighborhood, but I don’t think that it’ll be very easy,” she added.

The woman said she walks the neighborhood and can see water draining from one house into a nearby alley, even when the weather is dry.

“I would call it a creek that flows out of their yard,” she said. “(Other residents) are having true issues and it’s costing them money. The flooding. Nobody can tell them where any of this water is coming from” and why some of the doors in their homes can’t shut."

You “can’t tell me the ground isn’t moving,” she said.

Another woman, who formerly lived on Eclipse Drive in Gold Hill Mesa, said, “The whole thing was a nightmare and we were only there a year. I just got out of there before my house went down the hill. I could not wait to get out of there.”

The Gazette is not listing addresses of homes to protect the identities of residents who shared their stories anonymously.

The former resident spoke of cracks in her porch, sinking and cracking concrete and water damage to her home’s foundation, all corroborated by Walter Clemens, lead inspector for Encompass Home Warranty Inspections.

Clemens’ inspection of the home found sinking concrete pads, cracked pillars, door and window problems and water damage. He later told The Gazette that damage was substantial and showed evidence of previous repairs that is symptomatic of sinking and heaving soils.

The former owner of the Eclipse Drive home also said she saw and spoke with neighbors about similar cracks and flooding in other parts of the development.

Concrete in the garage of another home and the alley behind the property were also cracked, she said. And the basement there was left discolored after water flooded in, she said.

“You would not believe the basement floor,” she said. “You can see it’s corroded.”

The current owner of that home declined to comment, also citing a fear of retribution.

The two women and other homeowners track varied lists of homes throughout the development where they’ve seen flooding, heard of cracking or other problems. Confirming the nature of those issues or their causes has proven difficult, in part, because of residents’ unwillingness to discuss problems or concerns that might diminish the value of their homes. Several residents have provided pictures showing water damage, cracks in homes and gaps beneath walls, but don't want those photos published because they could be used to identify specific homes.

Reports of corrosion and flooding throughout the development gave rise to concerns that toxic chemicals in the century-old mine tailings pile beneath the neighborhood might bubble to the surface, the former Eclipse Drive resident said.

“We started seeing stuff happening in the streets,” she said. “You could see water bubbling and then they’d get it fixed and another place would start bubbling. It’s constant fixing or not fixing streets and watching plants die.”

City and Colorado Springs Utilities staff confirmed reports of water surfacing on Millstream Terrace, in Gold Hill Mesa, last year. Work orders for Utilities crews also confirm the reports.

“When I arrived, I found standing water in the curbline in front of address,” one work order for February 2018 states. “The entire area has signs of groundwater, alkalinity staining is present in the street. … This has been determined to be a groundwater issue.”

Old 10-06-2019, 10:41 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,535,255 times
Sounds like the opening scenes of one those crime dramas - this one a plot where someone gets murdered over revealing the faults of Gold Hill Mesa while everyone else tries to keep it secret to protect their home values until they themselves can get out.....

Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,339,263 times
https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-c...ons-about-soil

"Leaders of the Gold Hill Mesa development say they expect to address every concern laid out by state geologists when it comes to the soil the community sits on west of downtown Colorado Springs. The developer is urging homeowners to come forward if they believe they have serious problems with their homes, including if they believe their home is sinking. In the meantime, work has started to test the soil beneath the community that has been the focus of recent scrutiny from state geologists.

More than a decade ago the first homes were built in the Gold Hill Mesa community as a part of an urban renewal project. The neighborhood sits on top of tailings from a former gold processing mill. It was capped to prevent contamination from minerals and chemicals. Because of this, the neighborhood and homes in it have been the subject of scrutiny for years. Most people raising questions about the stability of the soil.

"To your knowledge are any of the homes sinking in Gold Hill Mesa?" News5 Reporter Patrick Nelson asked.

"No. not to our knowledge. We know of nothing systemic, or above the norm of any settlement," said Executive VP of Gold Hill Mesa Stephanie Edwards. "We've certainly heard of a few issues regarding perimeter drains, but we are open and welcoming any questions, concerns and we would like awareness if that is indeed happening from anybody."

Edwards went on to talk about the oversight from the beginning connected to this development.

"As an urban renewal sight and with the unique history here of Gold Hill Mesa we've taken every effort to bring in top experts and geo-techs for over a decade now and of course this project is under layers of scrutiny and peer reviewed licensed experts at the state and local level and we are under continual review," said Edwards.

Hayden Fisher is leading a team who will be testing the soil of the community to make sure it meets the demands of state geologists.

"It's a combination of geo-technical and geo-physical testing we are going to absolutely be able to answer all of those questions and in my mind we are going above the standard of care to answer those questions," said Fisher, Chief Technical Officer for Bryant Consultants.

Fisher says experts will test the make-up and stability of the soil before future homes are built on the property. He's confident the project will move forward it's just a question of what measures need to be taken to make sure it is safe to build.

"No soil is perfect and no soil is so bad off that there isn't something that can be done to remediate it or work with it and get it in a situation where something can be built on that," said Fisher.

Gold Hill Mesa leaders tell me they expect the soil test results to be in by the end of November.

If you are a resident in the area and would like to communicate concerns about your home you can always contact us at News5Investigates@koaa.com

Also, if you need contact information for Gold Hill Mesa leaders here is some of that information:

Gold Hill Neighborhood, LLC
Info@goldhillmesa.com
Alicia Petz
719-900-1461

Community Home Owners Association Manager (HOA)
MSI, LLC
cpilato@msihoa.com
Corey Pilato
(719) 260-4548

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPE)
Fonda.apostolopoulos@state.co.us
(303) 692-3090
Fonda Apostolopoulos

City Engineering Inspections
cmorris@springs-gov.com
Cyndi Morris
(719) 385-5977

Metro District at Gold Hill Mesa
Josh.miller@claconnect.com
Josh Miller
(719) 635-0330

David Weekley Homes
(719) 453-0164

Hi-Point Home Builders
(719) 495-0009

JM Weston Townhomes
(719) 571-9737

Vanguard Homes
(719) 487-8957"

Old 10-11-2019, 05:29 PM

OMG they just need to STOP & acknowledge the already extreme issues before building ANYTHING else.

"No soil is perfect ..." Seriously? Maybe not but THAT soil is a ticking time bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs