Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:21 AM

689 posts, read 2,058,321 times

Advertisements

We lived most of our first 60 years in Oklahoma City, where we got a little snow and ice. Mostly it went away after a few days. We moved to western Washington because we loved vacationing in the Pacific Northwest. Even though the summers are glorious, we're already tired of the rain and the severe windstorms.

We won't go back to OKC because of the heat and humidity but we're looking at Santa Fe, Fort Collins or, mostly likely, Colorado Springs. I'd be interested to hear how you deal with the snow...I'd like to hear from someone who didn't grow up in snowy places, to see how you made the adjustment.

Because we're retired, we wouldn't have to be concerned with going to work every day, but there could be emergencies. I'm sure the cities are prepared to deal with snow, far more than central Oklahoma or western Washington.

How soon are the streets cleared?
What about power outages?
Are the power lines underground?
Does the snow ever melt away in the winter?
How long is "snow season"?
Do you have reliable forecasts of approaching storms?
Do you have ice storms?

I'll appreciate any thoughts...I imagine you learn to live with snow just like we lived with tornado warnings in Oklahoma. I just found this forum last week. Isn't it great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,216 times
I'm a native Coloradan, but I'll take a stab at your questions.

How soon are the streets cleared? -- Even before the snow starts falling plows may be out putting deicer on the roads

What about power outages? -- Occasionally, but not usually for long.

Are the power lines underground? -- In some areas, but not all.

Does the snow ever melt away in the winter? -- Most of the time when we get some snow, the sun then comes out and in a couple of days most of it is gone. CO has very low humidity, which helps in that respect.

How long is "snow season"? -- First snow is usually in October. Last snow can be in May.

Do you have reliable forecasts of approaching storms? -- CO weathermen have a challenging job as CO weather is not always predictable. This last storm they were predicting another blizzard, like we got prior to Christmas, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad.

Do you have ice storms? -- I can't ever recall one. We can get some sleet, but nothing like I've seen in photos from the midwest.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM

226 posts, read 1,369,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Do you have reliable forecasts of approaching storms? -- CO weathermen have a challenging job as CO weather is not always predictable. This last storm they were predicting another blizzard, like we got prior to Christmas, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad.
I grew up in northern California and moved to Washington DC after I got out of school. I LOVE the weather in Colorado. We don't get the ice storms of DC nor do we get the 106 degree temperatures with 90 percent humidity.

I have actually been very impressed with the accuracy of the weather forecasters here. In Washington DC they could never get the forecast right, but here I would say they are right better than 90 percent of the time.

I would agree with everything else that graceman said.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
How long is "snow season"? -- First snow is usually in October. Last snow can be in May.
One thing I'll add to this, is that even though we can get snows in October and May, we can also get some very beautiful and warm weather after that first snowfall and before the last one. As the saying goes in Colorado, "if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it will change".

As far as weather forecasting goes, compared to San Diego where weather is very predictable (weathermen don't have to work very hard), CO is more unpredictable and weathermen here actually have to work for their paycheck. 90% accuracy seems rather high to me, but I do think they are more often right than wrong.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We have lived in Colorado for the last 4 1/2 years (Englewood & now Parker). Here are "our" answers to your questions:

How soon are the streets cleared?
The main streets fairly quickly, but the side streets can (and do) take a day or two sometimes. Side streets meaning, streets in a lot of housing developments......like ours in Parker.
What about power outages?
Have had a few power outages in Parker since living there. It was during the day when we were at work.
Are the power lines underground?
Not sure.
Does the snow ever melt away in the winter?
Yes, but depending on where the snow is (shadows) and how much, it definitely can take some time.....definitely not within a day or two a lot of times.
How long is "snow season"?
I have photos/video of nice snowstorms in Oct and in May (Mothers Day Weekend). This last Oct, week before Halloween, it was blowing snow so much, I had to call into work and take a "snowday". It is true that we do get some very, very nice "summer like" days during the winter, but don't even think that those type of days stick around....the calendar says we are still in winter and WE ARE!!
Do you have reliable forecasts of approaching storms?
Sometimes the weather people have a fairly hard time forecasting an approaching storm, but all-in-all, they do pretty darn good. But, when the do forecast snow, we just "button down the hatches" and get the shovels/snowblower ready!! And, during the summer, we can get some pretty wicked lightning in the skys.
Do you have ice storms?
Never seen any here. But, we can (at times) get some pretty heavy snow that can break branches off of trees.
Good Luck if you decide to come here! Beautiful sunny days do exsist, but also can get snow and t-storms.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 31,070 times
Quote:
Wow! That is a Loooong snow season!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey View Post
Maybe overall, but as I wrote earlier, we have many stretches of good weather in the winter where temps can even get up into the 70's. It is not like we are in perma frost from Oct - May. Far from it! A lot of the time during the winter you can go around in a light jacket or no jacket at all (in the day time that is). While the sun is out, it usually feels quite warm, even if the temps are in the 40's. That is probably due to the very low humidity here.

I will clarify something that I wrote earlier. When we usually get snow, it is only a few inches (blizzards usually only come every few years), and most of it is gone off of the roads within a couple of days. Anything in the shade (like north facing drives and yards) will have snow/ice stick around for much longer. Fortunately, I have a south facing driveway, so snow/ice is gone quickly. The backyard is a different story, but we don't really use it in winter, except for the dog to do his business.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Yes, that can be a longggggggg snow season. And, just because we have some days that are sunny/beautiful with temps in the 60's during the winter, don't hook up the boat and head to a lake! The boat ramps will still be CLOSED. But, last winter was so mild (still had cold temps and snow though), we actually put our boat out on a lake on April 22. Water was cold (for sure) and had to wear a medium coat, but cruising the lake was lots of fun.
Interesting thing, I was raised on a farm in Northeastern Indiana and (from what I remember) we never had snow in Oct or May!!!! The weather was cool before/on Halloween, but no snow. I even remember going on hayrides during Oct. And, our May's in Indiana were very nice/warm. So, in Oct./May, who has the nicest weather, Colorado or Indiana (where I lived)??????

Old 01-03-2007, 04:04 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,974 times
Quote:
That only means it could snow. Doesn't mean it will. The weather varies so much from place to place. I live only 40 miles from Co.Springs but we do not get the snow they do. There is a bad weather belt just north of CS that makes one side completely different than the other N to S. Prairie type land E and mountains W. This makes for different weather patterns too. As to length of summer. We raise a garden and raise watermelons. They take a good growing season. All depends on the area.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
It is. And it can be frustrating for anyone with trees and gardens.
Nothing like waking up to a loud >snap< in late May, looking out, and seeing your backyard covered with snow, with branches breaking off trees everywhere, taking power lines with them. Or dressing your kids in snowsuits under their costumes for Halloween.
Having said that, I have harvested tomatoes in October and gotten sunburns in March. You just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs