Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times

Advertisements

Beautiful pics! I would be scared of a bear attack or some other wild animal in that area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
Default palmer lake or palmer reservoir?

I guess I'm a little confused. There is a Palmer Reservoir off of Rampart Range Road and then there is Palmer Lake which is a town and a lake if I'm not mistaken. The pictures in this post seem like they are from Palmer Reservoir, but the directions seem to be for Palmer Lake. AAghh! So which is which?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Okay, let me try to straighten it out, as there are actually three different bodies of water in question:
1) Palmer Lake - lies within the town of the same name, just west of I25 on the northern border of El Paso County.
2) Lower Reservoir - a watershed for the county of El Paso (just west of the town of Palmer lake, publicly accessible only by non-vehicular means)
3) Upper Reservoir - a watershed for the county of El Paso (just west of Lower reservoir, publicly accessible only by non-vehicular means)

What you're seeing on your map is probably upper reservoir, which is not too far off of Rampart Range road on a closed fire road. My understanding is that this is not offically named for all mapping services, but it is locally recognized as the 'Upper Reservoir' near Palmer Lake, which could me misunderstood as Upper Palmer reservoir.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM

41 posts, read 194,335 times
Default Outdoor Pics

Thanks for posting those pics! I'm looking forward to hiking those trails when I move out there.....

Old 07-18-2008, 11:59 PM

60 posts, read 171,443 times
Default Beautiful

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing them. I have a couple of questions for you. For one, someone mentioned bears- I've heard on the forums that there are some in the area. I'm assuming black bears? Would it be wise to carry a sidearm while hiking?

My second question is about my dog. I have a giant, very friendly mixed breed dog who would absolutely love to go hiking with me. Is this allowed? (and yes I pick up after him).

Thanks again for the pictures.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Default Dogs and Bears

Dogs are usually allowed in around county parks (such as the Santa Fe trailhead at Palmer Lake) but must be on a leash. Once you are up in the National Forest land, the rules are a bit lax, but it's still kind to leash your dog if other people (and especially other dogs) are around, even if you think your dog is non-aggressive.

As for bears, you would be seeing a Black Bear if anything. Bear sightings are pretty rare in these parts, mountain lions even moreso. Carrying a sidearm is most definitely NOT a good idea, because:
a) If you do see a bear, you should NEVER, EVER try to shoot it. Just act respectful and keep a safe distance. If you want specific info about what to do in a bear encounter, please ask your local Mountain Park Ranger.
b) If you did shoot a bear (or a wild cat for that matter) it is highly unlikely that you would bring it down, or even deter it, in one shot. Even if you're a good shot, in the excitement in of a bear encounter it is unlikely that you would actually hit the bear, and much more likely that you would hit something, or someone, else.
c) Even as a means of self defense against other humans, a gun is a poor choice. Better to take a self-defense class, which will teach you how to avoid and escape from a dangerous (human) predator as opposed to just shooting at it.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,448 times
Default How to get to Palmer Lake Reservoirs

This is pasted from a 2003 Gazette Article, with my improvements to make it a little clearer. I just hiked it today and this should work. This is to the two Palmer Lake Reservoirs, not to Palmer Reservoir.

TO GET THERE: Take I-25 north from Colorado Springs to exit 161 and turn west toward the mountains on state highway 105. Drive about four miles to the town of Palmer Lake and turn left onto Lower Glenway St. Go a couple of blocks and turn left on High Street. High Street deadends into South Valley Rd., take a slight jog left onto Old Carriage Road which runs the same direction as High Street - road is now one way - and continue to a parking lot on a hairpin turn.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 13,918 times
The Crags Trail just past the Crags F.S. Campground.

360 degree view of the back of Pikes Peak and reservoirs at the summit of the trail. Pass through Aspen groves (great wildflower or fall follage hike), some optional rock scrambling along the leftside of the trail.

Hwy 24 to Divide - Turn left at the light.
Just past Mueller State Park (on your right), look for a small bridge. Turn left on dirt road just past the bridge. Continue on 4WD road past the Mininite Camp and drive past the Crags C.G. to the trailhead.

This trail also branches off to the right just past the trailhead as an alternative to the summit of Pikes Peak.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 13,918 times
We have fished late at night at Palmer Lake and a couple of black bears were near us digging through the garbage at the p[SIZE=3]avilion. [/SIZE]They can be easily scared off once they know you are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs