Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM

11 posts, read 31,514 times

Advertisements

A little background first, I am separating from the Navy in about 9 months and we are looking at possibly settling down in Colorado afterwards. I work in IT and have a fairly high security clearance from being a former crypto guy. I have read, on this forum, that Colorado Springs might best suit me as there are quite a few defense contractors there. We are going to be making a trip out there the last week of September and I had a couple of questions for the fine folks on here.

Where should we get a hotel, south of denver? West? I'd like to stay somewhat central so we can see CS as well as some of Denver, Boulder, etc. Any recommendations of a nice, decently priced hotel (nothing 5 star)?

What sites should we check out while visiting? Specifically what should we be looking for while we are in CS? We plan on buying a house after about a year there, this will be our first non-military assisted move so this will all be new to us.

What is the weather like that time of the year? Do we need pants jackets or will shorts still work?

Any assistance would be appreciated, and if anyone knows of any point of contacts in CS that work for a defense contractors and are in need of an IT System Administrator with a clearance within the next year your more than welcome to send me a Direct Message, I would be truly grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM

227 posts, read 1,044,435 times
The last week of September will be very nice, weather wise. All over Colorado, particularly in the mountains, you will see the trees starting to change colors. If you can spare some time to do a road trip up to the mountains, you will enjoy it. It will still be nice, maybe 65-70 during the days, but bring a light jacket for the evenings. We generally do not get our first snowfall until Halloween. Remember, even though the forecasted temp will be 60, that will feel like 70 because we're a mile up (or more!) in the sky, so we're closer to the sun. Here in CO, a lot of people wear shorts when it hits 60.

As for your stay, a good midpoint between Denver and CS is Castle Rock. There are a few hotels right by the freeway (I-25), probably in the 3-4 star range, all normal chain things. From Castle Rock it will be 30-45 mins south to get to CS (depends on the area of CS), and 15-40 mins north to Denver (depends on the area of Denver) and about 45-60 mins to Boulder (also north). You also need to factor in traffic - it will take longer to reach your destinations during morning and evening rush hour.

Lockheed Martin just hired my brother in law for a PC Desktop support job, which is totally beneath your qualifications, but try looking at their website. Maybe they're looking for someone just like you :-)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. We'll be sure to pack appropriately, doesn't sound like it should be too cold while we are there, I was hoping to get it right when it was really comfortable outside. Any sites that we should check out while we are there?

Anyone else have some insight?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
My son is a CTT in the Navy. He is stationed in Hawaii right now but, has often talked about Buckley (in Aurora) and, Norad (COS) .
Norad is moving most of their operations to Peterson AF base (?) .
I believe a Navy Admiral is head of Norad. Hope I'm getting all of this correct
Anyway, you should look into this. My son has a Top Secret Clearance and, has known others that got great jobs (civilian) after they separated!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM

SheridanL, thanks for the info. I was a CTM, i converted over to the IT field about three years ago, but spent my first 8 years as a CTM. Your son and I probably have the same clearance level. I'll take a look into Peterson AFB, I think i've already seen on federal jobs for positions at Peterson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs