Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Native View Post
From a Mojave Desert rat's perspective, please allow me to say my two cents worth:

There's a saying about Colorado weather I've heard many a time: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!"

There's some truth to that saying. The weather is unpredictable to the point you can't plan outdoor activities without having a "plan B" at the ready. I hate the black ice that can be sometimes encountered - unpredictably so - on paved surfaces (walking or driving) during Autumn, Winter, and Spring. I hate the pounding hail that pockmarks automobile bodies and roofs of houses and buildings in general. The automobile will still run, but look worse for the wear. The roofs need to be replaced. An additional expense for those who believe "'Tis a privilege to live in Colorado" as the Denver Post would say in days gone by. I personally don't count hail damage as a "privilege."

"It snows only a few times a year" is only partially true. Some years it snows more frequently. Some years you don't see road surfaces for weeks or months at at time. Snowpacked conditions do exist living in the Springs, though not all the time. Some years are lighter and easier weather years than others when it comes to snow. Others aren't. I oughta know. I experienced it firsthand.

OK, that's my two cents worth, FWIW. Thanks for letting me comment.

s/AV Native
while getting used to it, i can see why it might seem like "every 5 minutes", though the front range corridor's weather, for example, is pretty consistent, actually. usually approximately:

- summer:
-- warm/hot and sunny until mid-afternoon, then thunderstorms for as much as a couple hours (untill they shut themselves down, often times) that can often include hail SOMEwhere in/along the path of the storm - it's a thunderstorm, afterall. the sun heats the prairie, resulting in serious convection later in the day which lifts moist air up to cooler altitudes, making clouds, rain, and thunderstorms that cool things below, shutting themselves down. you can hike or picnic early, expecting rain near or on you later.

- winter:
-- cool/mild with a snowstorm per month or so, typically. snowstorm is usually several inches, rarely feet, and melts quickly since the sunshine is so intense at this high altitude. often 25F - 50F; even 25F can feel warm due to the intense sunshine (less air to filter it at mile high). if it's cold out, and cloudy with recent or imminent precipitation, there tends to be ice on the roads that, with some acclimation, is quite drivable for many people.

- spring and fall:
-- summer for a week, winter for a week, summer for a week, winter for a week, with a change of foliage that lasts a couple of weeks-ish

an el nino year can make for a wetter, cloudier, or snowier year. la nina, typically just the opposite. you can usually see a wave of something coming from days out. you can see this on weather web sites by looking at the weather maps/satellites/radar. the news usually talks about "el nino" years slightly before they're really ramped up. generally speaking, this is basically what you tend to get: not "wait 5 minutes", though it probably seems like that to some people.

Last edited by hello-world; 09-12-2007 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Summer nights cold? I wish they were a little colder in summer. In mid-summer the lows in the 60s. Seems pleasant to me, if a little stuffy inside. This time of year, in late summer, early fall, it's more like low 50s. That actually is even better.

I suppose if you have A/C that you can blast all night long, then summer nights in the 70s and 80s sounds tolerable. But if you don't have A/C, you'll suffocate every night in those temps.

Way true. We've been blasting our AC pretty much till night before last. Yesterday morning, we noticed an odd phenomena; 64 degree temp in the house! That's a good 8 degrees than what the ac is set to. If you don't set the AC to between 71 and 74, you'll wake up hot. I don't like running the ac all night long, but usually if I set it to about 72 before bed, it will run while I'm falling asleep and shut off and stay off the rest of the night.

I don't know if this was just the last cold front or if we've finally gone into fall mode. I like cold nights. If I wanted warm humidity, I'd go to a steam sauna. I just got back from central South Carolina. Ick! 93 out there is worse than 116 in Phoenix. I don't care what they say. People in dry heat just don't know what humidity is. 116+ is no picnic either. You have to put your tools into a bucket of water if you expect to handle them again. Door knobs are dangerous. It don't cool down at night. But there's just nothing like the Rocky Mountain High! Colorado.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
When we were vacationing in N. Carolina, it was possible to go into the ocean in the evening b/c it was so nice and warm. However, I would Hate to live there and have to work in that heat (even if I were inside in A/C most of the time).

Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM

26 posts, read 71,215 times
Hi,

I am also considering moving to Colorado Springs. I moved to Albuquerque, nm from Florida. I got hit with three hurricanes and had to rebuild my home. Everyone I talk to tells me that Colorado Springs and Colorado in general is a much better place than Albuquerque. I actually live in Edgewood and work in Albuquerque. I hate this state.IT is dirty and full of crime.. There is nothing to do and the entire place is an eyesore. Can someone tell me what colorado springs is like in comparison. I have several horses, dogs and cats and need to purchase a home in a rural area with several acres. What neighborhoods should i look at? How are the people, food, entertainment, costs of living?

Please help.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
Quote:
I have several horses, dogs and cats and need to purchase a home in a rural area with several acres. What neighborhoods should i look at? How are the people, food, entertainment, costs of living
?
There are many areas on the south, east, and north ends of Colorado Springs for horse acreage. Lots of them are pretty close to town. The areas I like are along Old Ranch Road east of Highway 83 and along Roller Coaster Road north of North Gate.
As far as the rest of your questions, you'll find a bunch of opinions in this forum. My take- Most people are great, the food choices are OK(COS is not a culinary destination), entertainment can be found(we just attended Disney's Broadway production of 'Little Mermaid' in Denver), and the COL is much less than where we moved from(San Diego). There are several colleges, including USAFA, here with full sport programs to attend. There is a minor league baseball team here. In 45 minutes you can be in Denver for a lot more choices. IMHO, it's a great place to live

Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell4655 View Post
Hi,

I am also considering moving to Colorado Springs. I moved to Albuquerque, nm from Florida. I got hit with three hurricanes and had to rebuild my home. Everyone I talk to tells me that Colorado Springs and Colorado in general is a much better place than Albuquerque. I actually live in Edgewood and work in Albuquerque. I hate this state.IT is dirty and full of crime.. There is nothing to do and the entire place is an eyesore. Can someone tell me what colorado springs is like in comparison. I have several horses, dogs and cats and need to purchase a home in a rural area with several acres. What neighborhoods should i look at? How are the people, food, entertainment, costs of living?

Please help.

"better" this depends on what you might consider "better". many people consider northern new mexico (anyhow) one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Co Springs tends to be rather military, rather evangelical Christian, rather politically conservative, and maybe even rather suburban feeling. i would poke around the threads here and get a feel from lots of perspectives (the rants, the gloats, etc will all have common themes and give some sense of the reality) to see for yourself what people that have lived in all those places for some time have come feel.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
"better" this depends on what you might consider "better". many people consider northern new mexico (anyhow) one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Co Springs tends to be rather military, rather evangelical Christian, rather politically conservative, and maybe even rather suburban feeling. i would poke around the threads here and get a feel from lots of perspectives (the rants, the gloats, etc will all have common themes and give some sense of the reality) to see for yourself what people that have lived in all those places for some time have come feel.
Yeah. I always thought that northern NM might be a little bit like southern Colorado. As far as the crime in Albuquerque goes compared to Colorado Springs, I don't know. I do know this though; The show "Cops" seems to have a lot more episodes in Albuquerque than in Colorado Springs. Plus, CS is easier to spell. The cities are probably similiar in size. If I lived in NM, I think I'd like to live in Santa Fe. Isn't NM known as the Land of Enchantment?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 52,660 times
Default You must have been lost in the only bad neighborhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutstone View Post
I live in New Jersey, and i am considering moving my family to Colorado. I had a job interview in Colorado Springs. The homes are alot cheaper than in N.J. When I arrived i was very disappointed ! The traffic was terrible, When i stopped for directions at a 7-11, I was worried about being mugged. Most of what i saw was ghetto like. We looked at alot of nice homes , but, the neighborhoods appeared to be very economically mixed. I guess this is because its a millitary town? Colorado springs is not the place for me ! Fort Collins was better , but still very crowded.
Unbelievable - I lived in Colorado Springs for 20 years, and I don't know of any neighborhood that is ghetto like. I also don't know any neighborhood where one would feel they were about to get mugged. There are some neighborhoods with more crime than others, but there is not one neighborhood in Colorado Springs where I wouldn't feel safe stopping by myself (single female) to ask directions. I noticed everyone who talks about Colorado Springs talks about the northside of town. Yeah, it's nice, but the neighborhoods so far north aren't really Colorado Springs - they are more like suburbs. I would say that Briargate is the last neighborhood I would consider COS when you go north on I-25. Also, central Colorado Springs is nice too and has some beautiful neighborhoods - look at University Park right across from Palmer Park. Vista Grande is beautiful - a neighborhood planned in the 70's that is still beautiful. Village Seven same thing. Housing prices are very reasonable, the weather is dry and sunny - lots and lots of sunny, blue sky days. The only downfall in my opinion are the huge conservative community - in the 80s Focus on the Family moved there and 300 Christian Groups are centered there. I am religious, but I feel a little oppressed when it is so in your face. You can get away from it by living on the Westside by Garden of the GOds and Manitou - beautiful part of the city with its own distinct charm. I can't tell you how much fun it is to live in a city that has access to so many trails for running, hiking, and mountain biking. In spite of a recent article about them being dog friendly - they are not (another negative).

Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 PM

26 posts, read 71,215 times
Is it really cold in colorado springs? what is the temperature really like. How would you compare NM to colorado to northern california?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:33 AM

6 posts, read 15,591 times
Default Colorado springs info

I have been looking into relocating to that area. I currently live in Michigan. I have lived herer all my life. I have been out to ski afew times and fell in love with the landscape. didn't get much chance to explore. A friend told me that colorado springs or boulder would be a great place . (we stayed in keystone when we were out.) While I do like to ski, I woudn't say thats why I would come out. contrary to your thoughts, I am interested in the more conservative side of things...church,schools etc......
The weather sounds absolutely wonderful. Here in Mi. We get buried for months. The snow comes in Dec. and doesn't leave til at least March!! (we are talking feet). you can really go stir crazy after awhile. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs