Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM

46 posts, read 150,473 times

Advertisements

What are the best areas for schools, housing? Is the city really busy? What about the climate, I like the sun (hate rain), like the snow?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
District 20 has very good schools. Zip code is 80920, although we do have school choice. I live in District 49 but my kids go to Dristrict 20. The climate is really good. Low humidity, although those new to the area, especially from humid areas, have to get used to it and may suffer from itchy skin for a little bit. Lots of sun, although, you can count on very brief afternoon showers everyday in the summer. The winter snows are normally melted away either by the afternoon or the next day. Every now and then we will get heavy snows, but not very often.

As to how busy the city is, what excatly do you mean? Lots of night life, traffic, what?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM

thanks for the reply

Busy I mean all of the above, traffic, places to eat, diversified and the like.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 69,812 times
Hi Steve! I just moved here (a week ago) from Oregon. I don't know the area that well yet, but I think some differences from Portland to CS include... less rain, more snow, not as big, more conservative, sales tax, self service gas, about a mile in elevation, oh and fewer breweries!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickerind View Post
Hi Steve! I just moved here (a week ago) from Oregon. I don't know the area that well yet, but I think some differences from Portland to CS include... less rain, more snow, not as big, more conservative, sales tax, self service gas, about a mile in elevation, oh and fewer breweries!
Everything he said. Traffic is pretty relative, i suppose. I'm originally from Dallas and moved here from San Antonio, so traffic here isn't anything like back there. I will say that infrastructure hasn't kept up with growth, so there's more traffic on major arteries than there should be, but it still isn't all that bad compared to the big cities I've lived in. Dining is mainly made up of franchise restaurants, but there are some fine dining and sole proprietorship places around if you are after that. Personally, i'm not keen on the Mexican food here, but I'm from Texas so it's just not the same! Nightlife isn't...well, it just isn't to me....at least not for the married crowd. We used to get some good rock concerts a few years ago and had some decent live rock clubs, then *poof*...nothing. They do get country concerts though and we have a pretty good comedy club that the wife and I like to go to. Lots of movie theaters though. The Springs is definitely more family oriented when it comes to shows and things like that. Not much in the way of museums and whatnot. Denver is the place to go for all that, but it's only an hour away. We do have a really nice zoo though. I really like it a lot. The reason I like it here so much is because of the outdoors stuff. Lots of hiking and mountain bike trails right in the area. Of course, there's the ski areas, snowmobiling and ATVing within day trip distance.

Of course wouldn't you know that as I am typing this, it is raining pretty hard. ...for here anyway.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Thank you all for your imput,
The company I work for has offices in springs, grand junction and denver. I would like a change, I've been in Oregon my entire life (41 years) and it's time. I am drawn to the outdoor activities, the climate (nice summer, minimal rain, and some dry not wet snow in the winter). We can afford a 250K-300K home and would like to be in a really good school district, we have three kids (15, 6, 1 and the 1 year old is adopted african american - is that a problem in Co?) The office is located at 1755 Telstar Drive so is there housing and school close? I see district 20 is the one to be in and from what I gather you can send your kids to any school you want, is there a fee for that? How is the cost of goods compared to Portland, gas, housing, food, insurance and the like?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you...I've been out of town. 1755 Telstar Drive..that looks like its between Briargate Parkway and Research Dr...PLENTY of housing in the area. With the housing cruch that folks have been experienceing, you can get a really nice house for a good price. Well within the price range you stated. Your oldest would probably go to Liberty High School (default for that area), middle school would be Mountain Ridge, but I'm not sure which elementary schools that is for. My daughters both went to Mountain Ridge MS and Rampart HS. I've been pretty happy with both. School choice is free, but they have sign up deadlines so check with District 20s website to see what those are. The nice thing is that once you have school choice in place, you don't have to renew or anything. The cost of goods compared to Portland?...I have no idea.

Your one question about having an african american child...well, I am Native American (Comanche)...a real one, not one of these "Cherokees"....brown skin, long black hair, speak my language, the whole thing and am married to a white woman. Sometimes I get "looks", but it seems to come more from a curiosity standpoint ("Wow, an Indian!") than a racist ("What the heck is this Indian doing here") standpoint. It bugs a little as I don't like feeling like a novelty, but not to the point that I get angry or would want to leave. Now, that being said, every now and then I do get the disapproving look, especially when I am with my blond haired wife, but that's the extent of it. I've never felt threatened. The way I see it, idiots exist everywhere so the few of those types I ignore. With the high amount of military personnel in the area, there are lots of african-americans here as well as mixed couples, so it really shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Briagate has some nice homes but it seemd the lots are a bit small. We ain't rich but it would be nice to something with some space. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Do you know of any good agents?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 AM

Yeah the lots are a bit small. If you want larger lots you honestly need to look in the Falcon area out east of Colorado Springs. I know they offer 1/4 acre lots in some of their neighborhoods. As far a agents, I honestly don't know. When we bought our house, we bought new and did it ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs