Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times

Advertisements

I will be working out of my home in Pal,er lake, so my livelihood will depend on my computing powers. I have heard some horror stories about hard drives or even entire computer systems getting fried due to static electricity and/or thunderstorms. I'm planning on getting the best power strips I can find, and I do have backup drives, but I wonder if anyone else has any suggestions for me to protect my investments before it's too late. Any suggestions, even repetitions of the poitns above, will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Protect Your Electronic Systems from Spring & Summer Lightning Storms - ElectronCafé.com

Protecting Your Equipment

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Hi, I'm a retired IT engineer with the gov't, here is my advice:

Doesn't take much at all, to destroy a circuit board, however it doesn't take much to protect your entire system either. I am sure you have purchased computer parts before, and noticed they came in a tiny silver bag. These bags protect them from static charges until they are removed from the bag. By saving these bags and storing leftover/old parts in them, you are protecting them.
Actualy, when you type on your computer's keyboard, you have potential to damage your keyboard with static shock. Plugging in USB cords, speakers, monitors, and even DSL/CABLE ports can be shocked. However luckily for you there is a solution.
The most basic tool you can use is the ESD wrist strap. This is commonly used by computer technicians. This wrist strap goes on your wrist, and is connected to a metal part of your computer's case. The wristlet drains any static build up and keeps you and your computer at the same charge. This way it can't shock you, and you can't fry it. I've seen them at most computer / electronic stores throughout the nation...or check online stores as well....This will help you and any others working at home and/or work from frying your internal computer parts, from your video card to your hard drive....

vette-dude
May the Internet Live on...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Spend some money on a good UPS (APC is the best brand). This will keep you up if the power flickers. Our power sucks in Woodland Park. In fact, on Saturday night, it flickered off for less than a second, enough to the reset our alarm clocks.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 AM

454 posts, read 1,225,173 times
I was a COMSEC radio repair technican in the Army and we were told it was always good policy to wear a wrist strap to work on electronics. We never did it 6 years I was in the Army and we never had a issue. Heck if you go that far you might as well pull all the carpet out of your house so you don't build up static. Right now I am a IT Network Engineer and we also don't use the wrist straps. But we do use the static bags to store parts in. Like Eric said get a UPS and power strip and you will be good to go.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Just unplug everything to be safe, if there's a nasty storm coming in. I do that with my laptop during storms, so I can still be online without fear of getting zapped.

Worst case, my router/modem gets hit.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:54 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Thanks for the great suggestions. the wirst strap sound slike a good idea as long as it's not expensive or intrusive to wear all day. What does UPS stand for (Universal Ppwer Supply) and ASD? I'll definitely plan on getting the best one I can find. And, yes I work primarily on laptops too so I'll be glad to be able to just unplug when a storm rolls in. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM

268 posts, read 1,130,158 times
If you have a humidifier in your house it will cut down on the static electricity.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 AM

454 posts, read 1,225,173 times
forgot about the humidifier which will help alot.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I was a COMSEC radio repair technican in the Army and we were told it was always good policy to wear a wrist strap to work on electronics. We never did it 6 years I was in the Army and we never had a issue. Heck if you go that far you might as well pull all the carpet out of your house so you don't build up static. Right now I am a IT Network Engineer and we also don't use the wrist straps. But we do use the static bags to store parts in. Like Eric said get a UPS and power strip and you will be good to go.
Don't be so confident, one time is all it takes to fry a system, as you said; you should have worn in the Army and failed to do so..so you would have been responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs