Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 AM

15 posts, read 28,313 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forums, and have enjoyed the reading so far.

The reason I'm posting is that I moved to GMF from Pensacola, FL back in September. I have a 2WD pickup and live near the top of a mountain road. I'm sure you're starting to put two and two together here. My little Colorado does fine on the highways, and even does okay on the snowpack coming up Highway 24, but has zero chance of making it up the mountain at midnight when I get home from work after a decent dusting of snow. I'll be able to change shifts in a few weeks, and be able to get a beat-up Jeep for bad snow days a few weeks after that, but in the meantime, I'm stuck with what I have. I really don't mind the hike up the mountain to get home, and enjoy the exercise, even when it's chilly out.

My question is this: Does anyone know of a safe place to stick my truck in town, where it will not be in the way of the plows in the morning? I plan to go talk to the town Marshal in the morning to see if he can offer some advice as well, but any that you all can offer would be fantastic. Tonight I parked at The Market, since it's closed down, and I figured that would be okay for one night.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Berkeley Davis - The Tech Monkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM

454 posts, read 1,224,504 times
Yeah I was going to say to park it at the market or the Post Office.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
TechMonkey,

I had the same issues with my wife's TrailBlazer SS (RWD+400HP). I bought some Bridgestone Blizzaks (on some 17" steelies) and put 400lb of sand in the rear and she works great now.

Maybe worth investing in some true snow tires. You would be surprised how much they help.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 PM

oh if I was living there I would get another 96-99 Subaru AWD with snow tires and you will make it up any hill there. Also you would still get good gas mileage.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEricHarris View Post
TechMonkey,

I had the same issues with my wife's TrailBlazer SS (RWD+400HP). I bought some Bridgestone Blizzaks (on some 17" steelies) and put 400lb of sand in the rear and she works great now.

Maybe worth investing in some true snow tires. You would be surprised how much they help.
I'm certainly considering that, but with 18" wheels and a low profile needed for fender clearance, it's a pretty big investment in itself. I also looked into a 400 lb drainable/fillable water bag that straps to the cargo ties and is freezable. I guess my concern is that I might invest in the tires, studs, and bag (although sandbags are a cheaper way to go for a test run) and it still not be enough. I just started work a few weeks ago, so I'm still playing catch-up from my three month vacation. I'm really hoping the tires do the trick, because my truck is wonderful for everything else I use it for, and is an especially good daily driver for the run to and from the north side of the Springs for my daily work commute.

I appreciate the advice guys!

Berk

Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM

I found a set of Firestone Winterforce studdable tires on tirerack.com on clearance for dirt spankin cheap, and ordered them with studs. I'll keep ya'll posted and let you know if they do the trick.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 PM

The only thing about studded tires is they are frowned upon if you planning running them most of the winter. I also think they are worthless because some tire like Bliazzaks, Ice Guards do really well all by themself. But check and see but studded tires might be illegal too.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
The only thing about studded tires is they are frowned upon if you planning running them most of the winter. I also think they are worthless because some tire like Bliazzaks, Ice Guards do really well all by themself. But check and see but studded tires might be illegal too.
I checked with CSP, and studs are legal in Colorado. The road leading up to my house ranges from a 25-35 degree angle, and the last plow runs about 5 PM, so if it snows substantially in the evening, then I'm going to need a pretty serious tire to make it. The Blizzaks for my truck were $200 each, wholesale, and I got the Firestones (ranked just behind them) for a hair under $60 each, clearance. When there is that much disparity in the price, it's hard to ignore.

If it turns out that the tire alone is enough to cut it, then I'll have the studs pulled. I only plan to run the snow tires until late March and switch back to my street tires either way.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I have the Winterforce on my AWD Magnum, work great. Since I have AWD, I didn't stud them. Too bad you don't have them now, looks like we'll get snow every day this week!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 PM

I went to Craigslist and got all of my winter tires for a good price. Last year I bought 4 Ice Guards that were used for 2 weeks for 150 dollars and they were 17inch tires. And I bought some Blizzaks for my wifes car for 200 for all 4 and they were never used before. But good luck with the hill climbing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs