Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times

Advertisements

$43K would be very tight, but doable. Find a cheap place to rent (hopefully it will be in a safe area), clip coupons, take your lunch and coffee to work instead of buying, keep the luxuries to a miniumum, and you can do it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
TeryTee provides some good advice. I'd suggest a costco or Sam's club membership which usually offers better deals than coupons--though it does cost 40/year for Sam's club (I'm not sure how much Costco is).

When shopping for clothes, using "goodwill" and "the arc" is a great way to lower bills. I think it's been 3 or 4 dollars since I bought clothes (not shoes) at another store. In the last 5 years I've probably spent less than 50 bucks on clothes. We have an abundance of those stores here, which is great for someone on a budget. The arc has better condition stuff, but it is "more expensive". Case in point, I couldn't find jeans I wanted at goodwill. We hit the arc and I found two pairs that fit perfectly. I paid about 8 bucks per pair and they were brand new.

Shoes. We have payless shoe stores. I average 20$/pair and use 2 pair per year.

You can certainly make it for 2 people on 43k. Be intelligent in buying cars. (Nothing newer than about an 03, that'll save you on price and taxes--if things are tight looking for around 93-97) Have the car entirely paid off. Do not carry credit card debt, ever. My wife and I made do in Iowa on about 20k/year while she was going to school. Now that was tight, it was not fun, but I found several areas that I could do without and not really miss it. The city we lived in (necessary for her education) had a higher cost of living than Colorado Springs.

After we moved here our cost of living went up because our standard of living went up. We went from a small apartment to a bigger apartment while house hunting. Then we bought a big house. Less than we could qualify for, but significantly more than the "2x your income" general rule. Our costs now average around 2800/month. (430 goes to an increase in monthly payments on house over the iowa apartment and 200 goes to student loan repayment) The rest goes to things like gas (longer drive to work), better food, and of course inflation in the price of those items with meals out going from 2-3 per month to 4-5, though the average bill for a meal out is still under 10 bucks. (Subway, split a footlong. Panda express with a coupon for a free third entree. Etc)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
$43K will do it, that's around where I am. I have an addiction to Harley parts and guns though......

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM

49 posts, read 64,146 times
a Texan would never tell someone that he is from Oklahoma.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoat29 View Post
a Texan would never tell someone that he is from Oklahoma.
OK. Wear a "Don't Mess With Texas" T-Shirt. You'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs