Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 22,766 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I are considering relocating to Colorado Springs as well as several other locations across the nation. One of my main concerns is that since we are from Phoenix, where the atmosphere is very casual, we don't want to be faced with stares and glares. My daughter is college age and has facial piercings and a couple tatoos (stars, butterfly, not creepy things) as well as occassional pink, blue or purple streaks in her hair. I pretty much wear only jeans no matter where I go, restaurants, movies, church, shopping of course. I'll dress up for the symphony or wedding but that's about it. Is this going to be acceptable here? I am very conservative, just casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Colorado is very casual. We have a contracted window washer at my big corporate work who is covered in piercings and bright magenta hair. I think ya'll wil be fine. It's a conservative, but friendly town.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM

121 posts, read 452,507 times
You'll be fine and welcome. Props to you for dressing up for weddings!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Very casual dress here. You can wear jeans pretty much anywhere.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,158 times
I don't think most people on the town will really care. The only problem I see would depend on what line of work you are in. But I don't think that's much different where ever you go.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
When you try to stand out and intentionally look weird, you're going to get stares. Doesn't mean you're not welcome. It just means you're intentionally seeking attention. No one dyes their hair purple and expects no one to notice. It's clearly an attempt to draw attention to one's self.

That said, I don't think many people care. I think we all had some odd stages while we grew up.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Heavens, I see people daily with purple, pink, blue hair, tatts everywhere. What an interesting question...everywhere I go in the US, I see dyed hair and tatts. Has anyone been somwhere where there isn't?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM

197 posts, read 797,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Heavens, I see people daily with purple, pink, blue hair, tatts everywhere. What an interesting question...everywhere I go in the US, I see dyed hair and tatts. Has anyone been somwhere where there isn't?
Maybe Utah?? j/k!

Manitou has some really interesting "people watching" opportunities...

If you want to see some really strange folks - go to Roswell, NM.

There really are aliens in that town.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 43,254 times
"intentionally look weird" - weird isn't exactly the term I'd use for those of us with ink and funky hair colors. I am a 34 year old mom with obnoxious red hair and plenty of tats. I don't do it to look "weird", though. Is it an attention mechanism? Sure. Do we want to stand out against the norm? Absolutely.
But above anything else it's about expressionism. I am a firm believer that life is too short NOT to live it colorfully.

That said, to the OP, I came from a smallish town before moving here and I stood out with my tats and hair big time. Here, I don't stand out at all. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many of us tattooed crazy-haired "weirdos" there are.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 43,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I think there are certainly locations, particularly outside of any metro area, where it's not as common. For instance, where my mom lives, you don't see crazy hair or tattoos on a daily basis out on the streets. The town has like 2,400 people.
Even where I used to live - a town of 88K- it wasn't all that common unless you were at particular bars at night. But in the every day scene of grocery shopping or errand running, you simply didn't see it much. I was always stared at and was the target of many rude comments..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs