Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM

55 posts, read 178,191 times

Advertisements

From my last thread posted, I got a lot of good input about interracial couples. I was a little confused about some of it, so would like to clear it up in this thread.

Almost everyone said it shouldn't be a problem for us or our daughter to live in Colorado Springs. From what I understand, the city is growing North and the military base is closer to the south end. I was recommended to stay farther from the south end because the crime is higher, but then recommended to search that area because it is more diverse.

So, which is it? People are relating minorities to crime and that's why I should stay away from the south side? Is crime a lot worse on the south end? What if I don't live on the south side; will we not blend in as well and be the talk of the block?

We would prefer something in the city, not in the suburbs. We are very much used to having conveniences and would like to keep this. Our goal is to find a place where we blend in. We have lived in predominantly white neighborhoods and we have lived in predominantly black neighborhoods. We are really just looking for something that can offer both because the more diversity is the more we feel at ease (including any culture or race, really) and think our daughter will feel at ease (we would like her to embrace both of her cultures).

Any type of experience you want to share relating to these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
What is your price range? The north side of town will cost a little more than the south side.
Have you ever been to Colorado Springs? The whole town has a very suburban feel. Efforts to revitalize downtown have improved that area, but long term plans have been put on hold due to economic hardships.
Colorado City may be a viable option for you. It's just west of downtown, has a lot of mom/pop places, a lot within walking distance, and so on.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 AM

We are looking for a place that is close to the city but has easy access to outdoor activities. Yes, I have been to Colorado Springs many times to visit. The last time was about two years ago. I lived in Durango, CO for awhile also. Right now I live in the Northeast and am ready to go back to Colorado. From what I understand, I may want to check out Old Colorado City, Broadmoor, and Manitou Springs area. How diverse are those areas in particular? Is there a lot of city stuff to do in those areas, along with easy access to outdoor activities? Also, we want our privacy, at the house, so we aren't looking to live on the main road (just close to a main road w/ a lot of stuff!). Another area we were going to try and check out is Fountain. What do you think?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
Almost every part of Colorado has easy access to outdoor activities. Colorado City and Manitou Springs are both nice areas, but a bit of a commute to Peterson in my opinion.

The southern parts of the springs seem to have a reputation for more crime...I suppose that's arguable.

My parents used to live in the southern part of town (Academy and Astrozon) and their old neighborhood is now very run down and their old house looks like a junkyard. I think there are more rental neighborhoods in that area now.

As for the diversity aspect, I really wouldn't "overthink" it. I think no matter where you decide to move, you'll be fine. There are military or retired military couples......everywhere!

I live about halfway up Powers Blvd, half south, half north...and my neighbors are inter-racial..so are their kids.......in fact, so am I.

It's really not something I thought about when I bought my house; I just bought a house I liked in a neighborhood I liked.

Live where you want....you'll be fine.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 AM

121 posts, read 452,403 times
I agree, you and your family will be just fine in Colorado Springs.

Yes, Fort Carson Army Post is at the southwest corner of town. Peterson AFB is at the southeast corner of town. Schriever AFB is about 10 miles east of there out in the middle of nowhere. And the Air Force Academy is toward the northwest corner of town. With the exception of the AFA all the military establishments are toward the south end of town.

Yes, most new development is toward the north and east - and a lot of people would probably consider the new areas "suburbs".

Colorado Springs is very spread out and conveniences are all over town. We don't have one central location where everyone goes to for amenities. However, Academy Blvd. has tons of commercial businesses all along it, and Powers Blvd. has lots of amenities between Platte and Union. Those aren’t by any means the only two high commercial areas, but probably the main two drags. What outdoor activities do you like? Do you plan to spend lots of time in the mountains?

Yes, the south and southeast parts of town have higher crime. If you look at the crime maps and look at the locations on the police blotter I don't think there is much argument to be had.

Yes, the south and southeast parts of town seem to have more racial and cultural diversity. But I don't think you'll be the "talk of the block" as you put it regardless of where you choose to live. I think that's what people were trying to say in the first post is pick the neighborhood because you like the neighborhood.

Fountain might be a nice option for what you’re asking for; it does have higher diversity due to the Army families, but the crime isn’t as bad as some other areas north of there. There aren’t a ton of amenities around there, but most of the main ones are nearby (e.g. grocery, gas, Lowe’s, bank, a few restaurants), and a world of amenities are within 10-15 minutes on both Academy and Powers.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Downtown CoS is nice and has many attractive neighborhoods.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
My parents used to live ...

As for the diversity aspect, I really wouldn't "overthink" it...

I think no matter where you decide to move, you'll be fine...

...and my neighbors are inter-racial..so are their kids.......in fact, so am I.

It's really not something I thought about when I bought my house...

I just bought a house I liked in a neighborhood I liked.

Live where you want....you'll be fine.
I'd really like to see the OP rep this poster here because they answered the OP to a "Tee" What more could be said about this situation? Experience, good neighborhood, close to work and services, outdoor stuff, "Live where you want" attitude and he's speaking from his own experience.

Excellent post. x4 rep from me.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Rep done.

Captn83, BTW, the correct name for a certain part of town here is "Old Colorado City" or OCC. There is a small town 75 miles south of here called "Colorado City" and it is NOT the part of town people here are referring to.

Old Colorado City is a nice place, full of old charming small homes of all shapes, sizes and colors, lots of eateries, funky vibe.

TerryTee's advice is good. Most of the city is fine. Lots to do. Amenities are all over, no long drives to anything. Parts of SE area, along Murray and S. Academy, etc, are higher in crime, but nothing near the horrors of big cities.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
I can see your confusion. The southern end of Colorado Springs is noted for higher crime, however when we talk about the southern end of COS, we aren't referring to Widefield/Security and Fountain. These seperate communities are south east of COS, suburbs if you will. But these communities aren't what we are referring to on the south eastern part of town. There are well known streets to stay clear form, Fountain, Chelton, Circle, on the south side, but this isn't the town of Fountain. Very confusing I know. Drennan marks the end of COS and the beginning of Widefield/Security. Please pull up the map to refer to what I am talking about.
The northern and eastern part of town has experienced the most growth. Newer is always nicer and pricer. The communities of Widefield and Fountain do have new home builders as well, very close to the base, and reasonably priced.
I am assuming many are sending you closer to Fort Carson= Widefield/Security, Fountain. Others are saying go to the north end of town, nice area too but a farther drive from Fort Carson. But just about everyone is saying stay clear of southern end of COS. CSUrbanist lives in a newer development in the southern end of town though, nice community too. Please DM him for more questions about it.
Does this help clear up your confusion?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info, it's been helpful! I wish it was easy to say we can just settle down on any block or any neighborhood but experience has told us that is not the case. I understand each city is different. I really want this to be our last and final move for a VERY long time, so doing the reasearch to make sure we don't have any major problems where we end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs