Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Well, there aren't many different cultures here. The Springs is about 75% white and up on the north end of town it's even more I am sure. Denver, for example is probably more like 50% white and there is a stronger presence of different races. Typical of big cities. We don't really have that.

The culture comment I made earlier has its advantages and disadvantages. It means that the crime is low, but it also means that the restaurants are somewhat poor. (compared to say Denver, Abq., or Phoenix) But then again, I'm a fan of cool restaurants. It's mainly Chili's, Olive Garden, and other chains here. Pretty generic for the most part.
When you say 'culture', it sounds like you mean racial, or ethnic, diversity. Denver and Springs both have very rich cultures, with both regions having played very important roles in the shaping of Western US history. There are several fascinating American Indian cultures with ancient roots here as well.

However, I agree that both areas are somewhat lacking in ethnic diversity compared to the larger urban areas of the eastern and western US seaboards. Denver is larger, more metropolitan, and therefore more cosmopolitan than the Springs. That is one of the few true drawbacks to this area; it's lack of diversity, but I'll still take the good with the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 AM

16 posts, read 147,660 times
I am from the east coast and when we were ready to leave, we narrowed it down to either Boise or Colorado Springs. We decided on the Springs because it had more potential opportunities for work. We visited Boise twice and I really liked the city. Here are a couple of things we noticed when comparing the two cities.

During the winter months, Boise can have an inversion which is like a fog (not air pollution) that hangs over the city. Boise has three ski areas within driving distance (although Tamarack might be closing). A few hours north-east of Boise is the Frank Church wilderness area which is the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 states. Colorado Springs has more people, more traffic, and more crime.

You should visit both cities. Looking at photos and reading information on the internet is helpful but not the same as visiting to determine your own gut feeling.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:32 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,854 times
Actually, there is lots of cultural diversity here - just the cultural diversity tends to run along European (German, French Canadian, Russian), Latin American, Asian, and American Indian lines. Not as much African American racial population (typically US background without African or inner-city cultural links) here compared to many places.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM

52 posts, read 167,022 times
We live on Mountain Home AFB in Idaho and travel to Boise ( 45 min drive) quite frequently. Boise has beautiful mountains, though I'm sure it doesn't compare to Colorado Springs mountain views! It also has lots of walking/biking paths, parks, farmers market, museums, concerts, mall, good variety of restaurants. It is a very environmentally friendly city. It can get quite hot in the summer with 102 temps for quite a few days in a row. So, I would bet it's hotter than Colorado Springs. When Boise gets snow it causes lots of accidents on the highway. People don't seem to know how to drive in it here. I'm sure Colorado Springs gets more snow. The snow doesn't usually hang around more than a few days till it melts though. The wind is horrible in Mountain home, not sure if it's as bad in Boise. If you are in the technical industry they are taking a hit in Boise with Micron downsizing seems every other month. There is a meth problem, but the police seem to be handling it aggressively. The crime rate is pretty low. There is a VA hospital in Boise and a clinic/ small hospital on Mountain Home AFB. I agree with other posts that you really need to visit each city and get your own feel for it. We love Boise, but job wise are looking into Colorado Springs.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,679 times
I'm living in Colorado Springs, and I'm from Boise. Both are fairly conservative towns... but, right now Colorado Springs is bouncing back from the recession faster than Boise. My family still lives in Boise, and is having a bit of trouble. The best school district in Colorado Springs is District 20, apart from the quality charter schools located throughout. Even though Colorado Springs is conservative, it has it's liberal side... take Manitou Springs! Manitou is a small town nestled at the foot of Pikes Peak, just this side of Ute Pass. Ute Pass is the entrance to a myriad of outdoor recreational things to do. Denver is located an hour North of the Springs, which has everything a big city can give. The view is spectacular, particularly because of Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. There is so much more to this town... I miss Boise, but Colorado Springs leaves Boise in the dust (which there is much of... it's too dry there!). Colorado Springs is my recommendation.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 PM

67 posts, read 151,505 times
have to agree with ya on that one doctor. move of my family lives in the boise area, well Kuna to be true, but they are having a hard time right now. my grandparents were going to sell thier horse ranch for a nice sume til the housing market started slowing and the builder backed out. most of em work out at the sugerbeet factory in nampa and they are seeing more and more people having trouble out there. Idaho has always been more of a rural/faming kind of state and takes a bit to bounce back. Micron used to be the number one employer out there in the tech field and they have downsized a ton. Simplot is another big employer that is having to downsize as well. don't expect to find the highest paying job right away if you go there, but there are alot of fun outdoorsie type things to do and alot of indoor activities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs