Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 AM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlange3 View Post
How is the drive from from Schriever to Carson/Colorado Springs? I was told it would take about 20-30 minutes on Bradley.

Anybody familiar with the base? I heard there is no px or commissary yet...
Twenty minutes to downtown Colorado Springs or the Post. More like ten minutes to get to civilization (restaurants/stores/bars/whatever). There's one hill between the Springs and Schriever, which can get bad on a snowy morning, but this doesn't occur often.

No BX or Commissary at Schriever, but it's only about 10 minutes away from Peterson, which has a nice, new BX and an even nicer Commissary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 PM

9 posts, read 21,802 times
As a 13 year Vet, Ft. Carsons housing is lacking. Look to the areas around it for rentals.
Be picky in certain areas for the crime rate can be high, and the neighborhoods are somewhat 'rundown'. Avoid anything near B Street.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:16 AM

17 posts, read 34,294 times
I deliver on Fort Carson all the time, and if you need to know what areas are good or not, just ask. You can tell a lot from yard upkeep, the state of cars, the state of people's houses that sort of thing.

As for off-post renting, definately steer clear of B-street, but if you go west to Watch Hill, or north/west to Cobble Stone/Autumn Heights, or even just straight out of Gate 3 (Westmeadow area) it is an ok place (in order of best to just ok).

Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM

120 posts, read 371,679 times
Woodmen Hills in Falcon has a lot of rentals and many are on 1/2 acre lots. Nice rural feel with all the amenities you need -- Wal-mart, Walgreen's, fast food, slow food, beauty shops, Blockbuster, etc. Commute to Carson is 4 lane all the way. Move.com lists 23 rentals in Falcon (80831 zip code).

Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,020 times
Hi,new to this site.Hubby,me and 2 boys are moving to ft carson in february. Is it better to live on base or off base? Which areas are nice? Also wouldnt be a bad thing if a hospital was at least kinda close,due to give birth arund july and dont fancy having to drive for hours
Any information is apriciated
Silke

Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharms3 View Post
Hi,new to this site.Hubby,me and 2 boys are moving to ft carson in february. Is it better to live on base or off base? Which areas are nice? Also wouldnt be a bad thing if a hospital was at least kinda close,due to give birth arund july and dont fancy having to drive for hours
Any information is apriciated
Silke
I believe there's an Army Hospital on Fort Carson. The new Penrose St Francis Hospital is at Woodmen and Powers, on the northeast side of the city, and perhaps 20 minutes from the Fort Carson area. In the center city, at Boulder St and Union Blvd, is the main Memorial Hospital which also has a Children's Hospital at that site. There are other hospitals on the north side as well.

Many people stationed at Fort Carson and Peterson AFB choose to live in the town of Fountain, a very good and very affordable area. Many also head out east of town to the Falcon area, out Woodmen Road, which is convenient to the new Penrose Hospital.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 AM

38 posts, read 38,305 times
My DS and his family were stationed at Ft. Carson and lived in Fountain. They had a huge back yard and their neighbors were all military families. They enjoyed living in Fountain. The hospital on Ft. Carson is good too. My DIL had their second child there and she was happy with the experience. My DH and I have visited the area many times and we like the Fountain area also. Maybe we'll retire there. Just a thought!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 AM

47 posts, read 161,025 times
We just moved here and my husband is enlisted. The newer neighborhoods looked very nice and had great neighborhood playgrounds and they seemed to be well constructed well appointed homes. We just moved back from Japan where the homes were new but built using the lowest grade materials available. We ended up buying a home as we plan to make Colorado our home. We did consider on post housing for about a split second right up until they told us the wait list was approximately 12 months long. If you want any information on off post neighborhoods feel free to send me a private message. I have spent long hours looking over crime and sex offender maps and school ratings.

Best,
Shannon

Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,807 times
Hi everyone...Me and my soon to be husband are moving to Carson in June of 2010 and I was just wondering about job selection...I am currently working on Fort Knox at a good job with great pay and was just wanting to know where the best places to look are.Thx

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM

33 posts, read 120,567 times
Hi, I just moved here from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. So far I like Colorado Sp[rings very much! If you are communitng from such drastic sea levels, be prepared to feel the effects. The first couple of days, my son suffered nosebleeds. My DH was very dizzy and I had headaches, but my daughter.....nothin! So everyone is different. I hear it takes 2 weeks to 30 days to become acclimated. I have also heard that BAL will rise quickly with just one drink and remain high, so be prepared to have a designated driver.

I have opted to live on base, only because I can't get rid of my home in Florida (anybody looking to move! ) The homes are based on rank. From what I have heard, the newer homes have very long wating lists. I live in Sioux village. It's a 3/1.5 w/carport. The rooms are decent. If your DH is an NCO or above, the housing is located on the southern part of the base, near the hospital. The homes are nice, but I have heard the walls are paper thin. So far, I have had no issues and my neighbor seems to be pleasant. My neighborhood has no drama and is quiet. THe elementary school for my area is Abrams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs