Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 PM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,172,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I don't disagree with your overall premise, but I did want to comment on this statement. It's not like the US just appeared out of nowhere with a population of 300 million. The culture of this country is an aggregation of many "old world" cultures and some changes based on location and history. When this type of comment is used in an insulting manner (not that I'm saying it is here), I often find that the person speaking is from a culture or country that may have had humans there for longer than we have in the US, but their culture is long stagnant, dead, or in regression. They simply feel the need to insult others to make themselves feel better.

Are you using these examples as "mortal enemies"? As if to say enjoying an alcoholic beverage negates any spiritual beliefs? Are you Southern Baptist? =)

Agreed here. When you first move somewhere you are (for lack of a better term) desperate for relationships. So you try to force anything to work. Just be patient. Friends aren't made over one meal. And I do think CS is more transient due to the large military makeup of this town. My career field (IT, broadly) is also very transient (nomadic?). I don't live in my hometown because there are no adequate jobs within my skillset or interests there.
I just don't see why you took anything I stated as an "insult" when none was intended? No, I'm not Southern Baptist :-) Which door did you exit out of this morning, a church door or a liquor store? =)

Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
I just don't see why you took anything I stated as an "insult" when none was intended? No, I'm not Southern Baptist :-) Which door did you exit out of this morning, a church door or a liquor store? =)
I specifically said I didn't take yours as an insult. I didn't read it in that connotation. It just reminded me of other times I have.

The Southern Baptist thing was a joke. Guess that's a southern thing. Drinking is the devil to Southern Baptists. I exited neither this morning. I did, however, exit a hotel, a few restaurants, and a federal courthouse.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,172,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I specifically said I didn't take yours as an insult. I didn't read it in that connotation. It just reminded me of other times I have.

The Southern Baptist thing was a joke. Guess that's a southern thing. Drinking is the devil to Southern Baptists. I exited neither this morning. I did, however, exit a hotel, a few restaurants, and a federal courthouse.
All's good.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

92 posts, read 216,118 times
as others have noted...most people in CO and the west in general are not natives...and migrated here from somewhere else...populations in the west are transitory...unlike the northeast in which there are neighborhoods where generations of families have lived with long and deep ties...in the south as well....the west has long been home of people who want to be left alone and are very individualistic..it is very difficult to make deep friendships here unless it is through church or some common hobby or interest which means joining a group..i have lived in CO for 16 years..and in AZ and WA...coloradoans seem to be the most aloof of the three...but worse in NV

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

33 posts, read 103,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1946 View Post
as others have noted...most people in CO and the west in general are not natives...and migrated here from somewhere else...populations in the west are transitory...unlike the northeast in which there are neighborhoods where generations of families have lived with long and deep ties...in the south as well....the west has long been home of people who want to be left alone and are very individualistic..it is very difficult to make deep friendships here unless it is through church or some common hobby or interest which means joining a group..i have lived in CO for 16 years..and in AZ and WA...coloradoans seem to be the most aloof of the three...but worse in NV
Thanks duke1946 -- I never knew any of this before - I guess that really makes sense - just difficult when you are on the side where you would like to know people and form lasting friendships. Glad to know this though, makes it easier to handle.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Still, there is no excuse for making an agreement which will cost the other person time and effort to keep, and then casually blowing it off. Total lack of class. Not rugged individualism; just poor character.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post
PS: I have stopped shopping at that Walmart you mentioned. Instead I take I25 to Monument and shop at the Walmart there (Exit Baptist, go north on Jackson Creek Pkwy). It is quite new, big, clean and the employees and customers look "friendlier" than the ones on Razorback. There is also a nice Walmart on Powers and Woodmen. But as one of he others mentioned, never leave any valuables in the car or in sight. ... wherever you go.

WELCOME to Colorado Springs!
I prefer the Wal*Mart on Woodmen west of Powers.

But yeah, never leave valuables in any place in any town in any state where people can see them; especially in this economy.

As for the people, you just got into town. Wait until your settled and find your "peeps" be that through your more permanent neighborhood, work, your kids' friend's parents, church, YMCA, dog park, whatever. That kind of situation is not unique to Colorado Springs and I will say that when the weather turns to Spring, people tend to come out of their shells a bit more. :-)

Well, that is the way it is for a lot of people I know.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I wonder how much of that has to do with the high military population here? I was in the Air Force for 20 years and with the transitory nature of the business, making close long lasting friendships is hard. About the time you make them, someone is leaving. Since I retired and have settled here, I found that I do have those long lasting friendships...and it's with other civilians.

Just a thought.
Which is something I have commented on in many posts around here. This has been the case for as long as I have been alive and in this city...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
I think maybe it's just those certain people.
Once you get settled, it will be easier.
Are the people you refer to, living in the Hotel also? I suppose that could be a bit of a unique situation.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,873,178 times
I just moved to the West (Utah) from Oklahoma in September. I have similar issues here. People are nice, but they don't really seem interested in forming real friendships. Back home, I could make friends in a single night and they are still great friends years later. One of my best friends lives in Nevada, and she would tell you about similar experiences she's had. It's just a "West" thing I think. Not that it cannot happen anywhere else, but the kind of "friendly" out here just isn't the same as what I grew up with. A lot of people just seem to keep to themselves or within close knit groups of people. Just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one experiencing it and it doesn't just happen in Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs