Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times

Advertisements

This isn't about annual rainfall but lifestyle. Do people in Colorado Springs focus on recycling, organic foods and a healthy lifestyle? Are there bike paths inside the city, not just in the mountains? Is it a very car-dependant city? Other than Whole Foods, are there many options for organic foods? Local farmers markets? I know the west coast kind of sets the standard for green living but I've heard Colorado as a state is pretty health conscious. Is that true of the springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
This isn't about annual rainfall but lifestyle. Do people in Colorado Springs focus on recycling, organic foods and a healthy lifestyle? Are there bike paths inside the city, not just in the mountains? Is it a very car-dependant city? Other than Whole Foods, are there many options for organic foods? Local farmers markets? I know the west coast kind of sets the standard for green living but I've heard Colorado as a state is pretty health conscious. Is that true of the springs?
Recycling is not mandatory here, about 20% of my 'hood uses the service.

Some organic stuff here, use the search tool with organic to find the threads on eateries and groceries.

Lots of cycling, walking, hiking and running in the area. Fair number of bike paths in the city and some bike lanes too.

Farmer's markets here too, best one is east of downtown in Memorial Park, search to find the Farmer's Market thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:16 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
I wouldn't say Colorado Springs is overly health conscious or 'green' as a whole.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
i don't know of many recycling programs in the Springs.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 AM

37 posts, read 72,541 times
I think Boulder is a better bet as far as green goes.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I think every single trash service has a recycling program - but you may need to ask them about it in order for them to tell you about it.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:01 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
Not as "green" as it should be. I can't believe recycling is not mandatory here. It was is IL but not here. Plus we should be xeroscaping. Seems so stupid to have a lawn when we are surrounded by dry prarie. RP

Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Not as "green" as it should be. I can't believe recycling is not mandatory here. It was is IL but not here. Plus we should be xeroscaping. Seems so stupid to have a lawn when we are surrounded by dry prarie. RP
That's all this city needs is another "mandatory" program. I'm all for incentives and promoting recycling, but forcing people is a bit much.

Also have to disagree with you on lawns. What is the problem with having a lawn?

This is Colorado...not California.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think every single trash service has a recycling program - but you may need to ask them about it in order for them to tell you about it.
Definitely not every single one. We use tri-lakes disposal and they don't. Other than that, they're a great service> I talked to the owner about it once and there is just not enough people who would pay extra for it and it would be cost-prohibitive for them to provide recycling for free. For a while we were toting it all down to a local recycling center ourselves but when we realized it was just all piling up there and then blowing all over the neighborhood, we stopped.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Oh well, I guess Tri-Lakes is outside the city. Every trash company I called for service in town had a recycling program. I didn't call every single one, but I called quite a few, or looked at their websites, etc.
I'm glad it is not mandatory, but I wish more people did it. I do think more is recycled here than some people realize, though - in businesses, etc.
As for lawns/xeriscaping, that is also personal choice, and plenty of people are xeriscaping or letting their lawns go to pot, especially after the last round of water restrictions a few years back. We do need to be careful with out water - we do not have an infinite supply as some believe (because we're near the Continental Divide, some think we only need what falls in snow and we get it first before anyone else, etc.) Law requires a 300 year supply before new building is allowed, but that is not adequately enforced, and water is a real problem and will only get worse in the future, most likely, as we drain our aquifers, etc. So keeping a lawn is fine although no one should go crazy with water use - we should all be conservative and not wasteful. Having at least something growing helps prevent erosion and run-off of water coming from the sky - limiting hard surface and maximizing ground/dirt surface also helps in the long run. Why we can't have rain buckets I'm not entirely sure, unless it has to do with mosquitoes and West Nile or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs