Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,894 times

Advertisements

So i am planning to move to the Denver from Montana and just hoping to get some suggestions for a place in Colorado for my parents to move too. Just for your info my father hates rattlesnakes and is a old fashioned type person. He prefers a place where he can do alot of fishing/hunting. He's lived in a ski resort town most of his life that has been over ran with the rich snobby type with attitudes so ski resort towns are out of the question. Just looking for a good layed back medium sized small town with populations between 5-20 thousand people and with mountains/lakes/rivers. I've looked into Durango area not sure what to think. Any Suggestions, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Canon City, CO. The Arkansas River runs through it, not that far from Pueblo Reservoir, working class town with nice people. Big "industry" is the major prisons in the region providing steady pay for the locals. Milder in winter than most places; the area is called the Banana Belt for just that reason. Very near the mountains and even more fishing and hunting.

If that doesn't work, then Salida or Buena Vista should so it for him.

We have threads on all these places, just hit the search tool or see the index.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Durango would fall into the category of rich/snobby/ski resort town.

Your dad will want to look at the following towns which are not overrun with tourists and still have a lot of the old flair. These are small towns but most of them are within 30 minutes of larger towns so he should definitely look into them

Western Colorado
----------------------
Collbran
Cedaredge
Crawford

Central Colorado
-----------
Buena Vista

North/Central
-----------
Kremmling
Yampa
Toponas

Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,826 times
I would suggest looking into the western slope, Gunnison, Montrose, Olathe, Delta, and Grand Junction are all close to hunting and fishing and have a small town feel. I'm from the area and have to say it is great. You're an hour from the mountains but aren't overtaken by snobs or tourists. The climate is mild and the area is lovely.

sorry 80skeys but i'd have to say skip cedaredge and crawford, though pretty they don't have much to offer but bored high schoolers looking to wreak havoc.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM

after re reading your message a little bit, I think that montrose would be perfect for your dad, the black canyon is beautiful and offers a lot of fishing and hunting opportunities. It's right at the base of the mountains but isn't a ski town. It is also quite civilized with shops, retail and restaurants.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCrugbyGRL View Post
sorry 80skeys but i'd have to say skip cedaredge and crawford, though pretty they don't have much to offer but bored high schoolers looking to wreak havoc.
I wouldn't go so far as to paint it in this light. They're small towns, yes, but plenty of retired folks have found their way there, and the advantage is that they are right up against the mountains with beautiful scenery. These are agricultural type of towns, they don't have any of the pretentious people you find in the ski resorts. They have mostly retired people and local farmers.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM

That is true as well. They are mainly ag communities. And of course the western slope boasts amazing sweet corn, peaches, and made in the valley wine.

but i used to be one of those bored high schoolers lol

Old 06-18-2010, 08:27 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,462 times
Gunnison-Almont-Crested Butte is the perfect area. I have fished about 1/2 of the trout streams and all of the lakes - in 12 years. The bird hunting is excellent and gets better every year. And skiing can't be beat - it doesn't match Vail or Aspen for crowds.

And, I'm gonna miss it.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
If he doesn't like the "resort vibe," there are few mountain locales in Colorado left where one does not find that. Even pleasant communities mentioned like Gunnison and Montrose are catching it. There's getting to be plenty of "rich snobby type with attitudes" in even those towns. In Colorado, your best bet is down in the San Luis Valley, but the prevalent Hispanic culture there may be a real shock for someone used to very Anglo Montana. The other locale I might suggest, if your father can stand the brutal winters and very small town, is Walden (but way smaller than what he says he wants) in North Park.

Truth is, for what your father is looking for, I would suggest Wyoming. There are still some nice towns in Wyoming where he would feel right at home, and some of them are within relatively easy traveling distance of metro Denver. Laramie would be a good example--even with the college there, it's still pretty "Western" without all the fluff and BS of the resorts.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Gunnison-Almont-Crested Butte is the perfect area. I have fished about 1/2 of the trout streams and all of the lakes - in 12 years. The bird hunting is excellent and gets better every year. And skiing can't be beat - it doesn't match Vail or Aspen for crowds.

And, I'm gonna miss it.
How'd you do for macks in Taylor Rsvr?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado