Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM

152 posts, read 457,758 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I’m just starting to plan a trip to the great state of Colorado for the first week in September, hoping you guys can help me out some.

the trip will be for 9 days in the first week of September
any advise on where i should go and what should I do
I’m planning on going to the Rocky Mountains nation park but i have nothing other then that at the moment.

What type of weather can i expect then? I don’t care for really hot (> 90)Should i push it back a couple of weeks?

Thanks in Advance for your Help

Zed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Drive up Pikes Peak

Old 06-28-2007, 06:34 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,347,092 times
There is a bit to do and see and in 9 days you will be able to do a lot.
Rocky Mountain NP is a great choice! As for weather, be ready for all of it. Really! It can change and fast. In Rocky Mountain NP, it will for sure. It can be 90's at its base, but as you go up in altitude, it may be in the 50's/60's with some snow remaining from the winter. Be ready for all of it.

Always bring a small umbrella with you wherever you go. Colorado is known for periodic afternoon showers.

You will be going to the RMNP via Estes Park (city right by RMNP). Stop by before or after it and walk around if you would like. I suggest using US 36 to go to RAMP, as it gets closer, it will be a very scenic drive.

As for other places, it really depends what do you like.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 AM

29 posts, read 125,677 times
We just spend 7 wonderful days in Colorado, as mentioned above we really need to know what you are doing and if you have kids and what you really want to do. Here is what we did:

Day 1, arrived in Denver late, stayed at Embassy Suites, swim and got a good night sleep.
Day 2, drove up to Ft Collins to look around, then head over to Estes Park and checked into our lodging for the next 2 days. Hit a nice Target on the way and picked up some dry goods (make sure you pick up a pack of waters, you can spend over 2.00 a bottle at some places), cereal, snacks and nuts, much cheaper to have some with you. We stayed at 2 Eagles Resort (I highly recommend) along the Thompson Canyon.
Day 3, drove into RMNP, this takes about half a day to drive up and see everything, I suggest start first thing in the morning before it gets too crowded. We also took the kids fishing and enjoyed the property of the place we were staying. I think this was the only down time I had to do any reading on the trip
Day 4, We left Estes and headed down I-70, and headed towards Grand Junction, I wish now we padded an extra day in there to sight see there, but we didnt, our destination for that day was Mesa Verde. We drove south down I-50/I550, going through picture book scenery. The trip from EP to the front door of mesa verde was 12 hours. But even with 3 kids, we were spellbound by the scenry the entire time.
Day 5, spent the morning going to the cliff dwellings and head back to the front range. Btw, here we stayed at the Far View Inn at Mesa Verde, the restaurant there, while slow and had waitstaff that really seemed like they were on their first day of work, had the most wonderful chef prepared food. It is expensive, so budget that one pricey dinner into your budget.

So day 5 we drove to Colorado springs, intending to spend the next 3 days there (I recommend our lodging there too, Town and Country cottages in Manitou Springs). We drive this time thru Durango, Pagosa Springs, Alamosa and headed up on I-25 to our lodging.

Day 6 and 7 we spent doing Garden of the Gods (a must), Pikes Peak Cog Railway (again, a must do, make sure you book a morning trip), Flying W Ranch, Santa's Workshop, throw in some shopping in old colorado city, 2 nights playing at the penny arcade in Manitou and the best restaurant on the trip we hit up twice Adams Mountain Cafe.

So we did a lot of driving in those 2 days, but we intended to let the scenery be our attraction for those two days and saw the best scenery we've seen jsut about anywhere. Now we have a better picture of where we want to visit on our next trip.

Also my kids got to see wild Big horn sheep, Elk, chipmunks and even wild horses roaming around in Mesa Verde.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,982,190 times
It's not very likely to be in the 90s in the mountains in September. If it does get that hot, it will be for a few hours only around midday. Even in mid-summer, temperatures regularly drop into the 40s or lower overnight in the mountains, so the chill is more likely to be an issue than heat.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,347,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
It's not very likely to be in the 90s in the mountains in September. If it does get that hot, it will be for a few hours only around midday. Even in mid-summer, temperatures regularly drop into the 40s or lower overnight in the mountains, so the chill is more likely to be an issue than heat.
When I was there, at the low base at the came site, it was near 90s (yes, only for a few hours). As you take the going to the sun road 2/3 of its way, it was 50/60s with snow on the ground. True, I visited it earlier then September, so by that time it may very be different. The campsite that was near 90s during the day, was in the 30's at night.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times
Rob_H

you wrote: Day 3, drove into RMNP, this takes about half a day to drive up and see everything,....

Playing the devils advocate , I'm wondering how did you hike all 359 miles of trails in RNMP in half a day or did you perhaps just see everything that you could see from the road?

Rocky Mountain National Park - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

regards...Franco

Old 06-29-2007, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 80,834 times
Need more info. Do you want to be in the car for the whole trip or do you want to hike? Shoot the rapids? Bar hop? Mountain bike? Shop? 'Tis a big state and takes a while to get around. If you will be driving in the mountains, please pull over to let the locals go by. RMNP is a great starting point. I could spend a week there myself.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM

29 posts, read 125,677 times
Laugh, No I guess I should have said we drove thru the park, stopping at many of the pull offs & visitors centers and taking many pictures, we did not hike, fish, camp or any of the many things you can do there. Certainly if you are wanting to do that allow several days depending on your itenerary. It was very cold near the Alpine Visitors Center in the middle of June so make sure to take proper clothing and water if you plan to do much walking of any sort!
Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
Rob_H

you wrote: Day 3, drove into RMNP, this takes about half a day to drive up and see everything,....

Playing the devils advocate , I'm wondering how did you hike all 359 miles of trails in RNMP in half a day or did you perhaps just see everything that you could see from the road?

Rocky Mountain National Park - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

regards...Franco

Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM

152 posts, read 457,758 times
Hay guys Thanks for your help it gave me plenty of things to look up.

The way it's shaping up is ill have 10 days but I will be driving from Maine so some where between 4-5 days driving there and back which gives me 5 or so days in Colorado.

The main thing looks like going to rocking mountains NP and I will be doing some hiking, would love to go white water rafting if anyone know a good place for that,
and really want to see wild life.

I was think about going from RMNP to arches NP in Utah then over to Mesa Verde and then back to Maine but that might be cutting it a little to tight. What do you think? Anyone know how long the drive is from RMNP to Arches?

Thanks again for all your help

zedd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado