Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chile Madness!
Hatch Chiles 7 46.67%
Pueblo Chiles 6 40.00%
Anaheim Chiles 1 6.67%
Fresno Chiles 0 0%
Cayenne Chiles 0 0%
Jalapeno 0 0%
Hungarian Hot 0 0%
Thai Hot 0 0%
Habanero 1 6.67%
Serrano 0 0%
Ancho 0 0%
Sante Fe Grands 0 0%
Chipotle (smoked Jalapeno) I roll my own, dontcha know. 0 0%
Green / Red / Orange / Yellow Bell Peppers 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

This weekend is the Chile and Frijoles Festival in Pueblo. This is a huge fall event and I will be there and will post my pictures.

This is from the Denver Daily News.com :

Hot dang, Pueblo has it going on this weekend. The Pueblo Chile and Frijoles Festival transforms downtown Pueblo into a Mecca of music, fun, activities and delicious food. The festival serves as fun Fall event that promotes the area’s agriculture, especially its home-grown chilies and pinto beans.

The link: Denver Daily - Hot times in Pueblo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This weekend is the Chile and Frijoles Festival in Pueblo. This is a huge fall event and I will be there and will post my pictures.

This is from the Denver Daily News.com :

Hot dang, Pueblo has it going on this weekend. The Pueblo Chile and Frijoles Festival transforms downtown Pueblo into a Mecca of music, fun, activities and delicious food. The festival serves as fun Fall event that promotes the area’s agriculture, especially its home-grown chilies and pinto beans.

The link: Denver Daily - Hot times in Pueblo
What kind of chile is grown in the area?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What kind of chile is grown in the area?
Pueblo chili's of course.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Are they going to have some good green chile dishes down there? I can't stand the slop that passes for Mexican food up here in Northern Colorado! I'll come down if there are going to be some good Southern Colorado style Mexican food booths!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Are they going to have some good green chile dishes down there? I can't stand the slop that passes for Mexican food up here in Northern Colorado! I'll come down if there are going to be some good Southern Colorado style Mexican food booths!
Yes. In fact they have a contest. This is from the Pueblo Chamber web site:

Chili & Salsa Showdown set Saturday and Sunday

The Annual Chile & Frijoles Festival heats things up with the Chile & Salsa Showdown. The food competition is held at the Pueblo Convention Center and includes a commercial compeition. Both commercial and non-commercial have three categories that will be judged including the best red chili, green chili and salsa.

The commercial competition is planned Saturday and the non-commercial competition is set for Sunday.

Here is the web site for more information: Chile Frijoles Fest | Pueblo Chamber (http://www.pueblochamber.org/content/chile-frijoles-fest - broken link)

While you are in Pueblo you might want to try a slopper! This is from the Travel Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h49_G5JWejc

The Sunset won but Gray's Coors Tavern has a great slopper too.

This event with our Pueblo chili pepper and chili along with our Slopper is one of the key reasons Pueblo was picked as a top 10 best food city in the United States. I am very proud of that fact given Pueblo is not as large as Denver or Colorado Springs and not known as a tourist town like Aspen or Summit County.

This is from KOAA:

Out of 200 of the smaller cities and towns on it's list of most livable cities, Pueblo was chosen as the 10th best for food and culture.

The link: http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/puebl...-on-food-list/

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-23-2010 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I've found that the best way to get what you want just the way you want it is to learn to make it yourself.
At least that way you don't have to wait for the Chile festival every year.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Pueblo chili's of course.

I thought maybe that there were some specific "land races" (cultivars adapted to certain areas) grown there, as there are here in NM.

So I guess some variety of NM chile is grown there--probably the old standard NM 6-4 or the newer Joe Parkers.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I thought maybe that there were some specific "land races" (cultivars adapted to certain areas) grown there, as there are here in NM.

So I guess some variety of NM chile is grown there--probably the old standard NM 6-4 or the newer Joe Parkers.
Its more complicated then that but since I am not a farmer I can't get into detail. That being said I do know that Pueblo is the only place the Pueblo Pepper is grown.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I've found that the best way to get what you want just the way you want it is to learn to make it yourself.
At least that way you don't have to wait for the Chile festival every year.
Or just come to one of our fine restaurants anytime of of the year. Hell I was at the bowling alley in downtown last night and had some of their chili and it was amazing. I asked about it and was told that the person who makes it has been making it for over 30 years. So our great chili can be found in most local eating establishments in Pueblo and why we are among the best food cities in the United States.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Or just come to one of our fine restaurants anytime of of the year. Hell I was at the bowling alley in downtown last night and had some of their chili and it was amazing. I asked about it and was told that the person who makes it has been making it for over 30 years. So our great chili can be found in most local eating establishments in Pueblo and why we are among the best food cities in the United States.
So, was it chili or chile? There is a big difference. Tex-Mex Anglo slop or New Mexico-style chile?

And if you want something really good that is fairly unique to Pueblo (though a couple of the places there that I knew that served it are gone), try to find someplace that serves a "Half-Breed Sandwich." That is an Italian sausage sandwich smothered in green chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado