Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 PM

74 posts, read 255,891 times

Advertisements

Anyone recommend Blizzak tires (instead of chains?!)

My husband just got them for his rear wheel drive sports car and I'm considering them for my front wheel drive Toyota. Are they really worth it (for my vehicle)???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
Anyone recommend Blizzak tires (instead of chains?!)

My husband just got them for his rear wheel drive sports car and I'm considering them for my front wheel drive Toyota. Are they really worth it (for my vehicle)???
Yes.

Snow tires(and Blizzaks are some of the best, the new WS70 is now out) are worth the money for what they do. They provide excellent levels of grip in snow and ice due to their tire compound and construction, tread pattern and siping.

Chains are for low speed driving in really bad conditions, not everyday driving in winter weather.

The only thing with snow tires is when it warms up in the spring you need to take them off and replace them with your regular all season or performance tires for the spring, summer and fall. The tire compounds used in snow tire construction are soft and wear quickly on dry, warm/hot pavement, especially if you drive the car hard.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yes.

Snow tires(and Blizzaks are some of the best, the new WS70 is now out) are worth the money for what they do. They provide excellent levels of grip in snow and ice due to their tire compound and construction, tread pattern and siping.

Chains are for low speed driving in really bad conditions, not everyday driving in winter weather.

The only thing with snow tires is when it warms up in the spring you need to take them off and replace them with your regular all season or performance tires for the spring, summer and fall. The tire compounds used in snow tire construction are soft and wear quickly on dry, warm/hot pavement, especially if you drive the car hard.
When would you swap tires in Denver where you could get snow (or long dry stretches) 3/4 of the year?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Mud, snow & between

I've toyed with the idea of using dedicated snow tires, and in fact even had them once on a Toyota Tercel 4x4, which proved an excellent combination in the snow. Problem being that was in northern New Mexico, and if snow at times, more usually dry roads.

Same thing for much of Colorado. There are times and places where dedicated winter tires would make a lot of sense, but it seems much of my driving ends up on only wet or dry roads. If memory serves, even my time in Summit County witnessed a fair amount of clear asphalt, if certainly lots of snow intermixed throughout the season.

So maybe it depends on whether one lives in Denver or the mountains, or more precisely just how much one will value that added traction when needed? The compromise I've thus far settled for are Nokian M+S tires, which are not stellar on ice, but otherwise quite good. If ever opting for dedicated winter tires again, the bargain that on often dry winter roads their soft compound will just wear faster than if I were in, say, northern Minnesota, or the Yukon.

As for chains, it is not a question of if/or, but rather used in need. Any vehicle on the road should have decent tires to begin with, chains or not, which means a good brand of mud and snow, or winter tires. The decision of whether to opt for dedicated winter tires is more of a personal decision, but any rear wheel drive sports car can use all the help possible if in snow. Chains as well, as sometime you might really want, and need, them.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
When would you swap tires in Denver where you could get snow (or long dry stretches) 3/4 of the year?
I'd run them from Nov 15 or so to early April and then change out. From my experience the snowfalls that happen outside that time are not going to last long at all on the road, nor rarely enough in huge quantities.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
I've toyed with the idea of using dedicated snow tires, and in fact even had them once on a Toyota Tercel 4x4, which proved an excellent combination in the snow. Problem being that was in northern New Mexico, and if snow at times, more usually dry roads.

Same thing for much of Colorado. There are times and places where dedicated winter tires would make a lot of sense, but it seems much of my driving ends up on only wet or dry roads. If memory serves, even my time in Summit County witnessed a fair amount of clear asphalt, if certainly lots of snow intermixed throughout the season.

So maybe it depends on whether one lives in Denver or the mountains, or more precisely just how much one will value that added traction when needed? The compromise I've thus far settled for are Nokian M+S tires, which are not stellar on ice, but otherwise quite good. If ever opting for dedicated winter tires again, the bargain that on often dry winter roads their soft compound will just wear faster than if I were in, say, northern Minnesota, or the Yukon.

As for chains, it is not a question of if/or, but rather used in need. Any vehicle on the road should have decent tires to begin with, chains or not, which means a good brand of mud and snow, or winter tires. The decision of whether to opt for dedicated winter tires is more of a personal decision, but any rear wheel drive sports car can use all the help possible if in snow. Chains as well, as sometime you might really want, and need, them.
As long as the temps stay cool and you don't drive it like a race car driver, there will be wear but your snow tires should last for a few seasons.

Manufacturers know that many of these tires are going to be run on the dry, so that is factored in. I've sat through some briefings on these tires from engineers at the manufacturers and a lot of the engineering and construction is rather impressive.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
"True" snow tires will still wear fairly rapidly on dry roads. Most of the best snow tires feature "siping"--basically cuts across the treads that dramatically improve the tires' grip on ice. Unfortunately, siping also lessens tire life on dry roads.

As to chains, in 40 years of driving Colorado roads in winter, I can count on my hands how many times I've had to chain up on the highway. Most of those times was in a 2WD truck hauling a heavy gooseneck trailer. My philosophy is pretty simple--if conditions are bad enough that the "chains only" requirement is in place, then it's time to get off of the road and hole up until conditions improve. And, most new cars, especially the "sports car" type, lack sufficient wheel-well clearance for chains to even fit. Then there is putting the damned things on. Nothing like on lying on your back on a wet, snowy, icy, mag chloride covered mess of a road struggling to get a set of chains on. It's a pain in the butt even for experienced drivers, much less some "virgin" winter driver who has never even seen a set of chains before.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Uh

I should have said: chains 'carried' as well.

Places such as California will require their use, unless one has a 4x4 equipped with winter tires. Fortunately Colorado is a different enchilada. But even here the occasion might arise when it would be nice to have the option. Besides which, I had to buy a set in Colorado anyway, for a trip to California . . . and was was required by the CHP to use them over Donner Pass.

Otherwise, I agree, they are a big pain best avoided if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado