Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM

45 posts, read 142,674 times

Advertisements

Soon I will visit Colorado from Texas and will try and visit some colleges. I plan on visiting Colorado@Boulder and Fort Lewis. Any other recommendations for schools with nice campuses and good academics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
It all depends on what type of experience you want, what you want to study, and how much you can pay.

Academically many schools are very good or better including: CU Boulder, CU Denver, CU Colorado Springs, Colorado School of Mines, Colorado State University, U of Denver (private), and Colorado College (private).

Many schools are attractive for specific programs that they offer like U of Northern Colorado - Teaching, Nursing and Music (Jazz), CU Boulder - Aerospace engineering and Architecture, CSU - Veterinary Sciences and Journalism, or CC - Liberal Arts, among others.

Some schools' attraction comes from their location: Ft. Lewis in Durango and Western State in Gunnison.

Many schools are small and offer a more intimate experience: Ft. Lewis, Western State, Adams State, Mesa State, Regis, CC and DU (last 3 are private).

If you articulate what you are looking for, it would be easy to narrow down.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Just expect to pay through the nose for out-of-state tuition. Colorado higher education is in severe financial distress, and out-of-state tuition hikes are considered a perfectly valid and desirable way to help make up the shortfall.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 AM

90 posts, read 285,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Just expect to pay through the nose for out-of-state tuition. Colorado higher education is in severe financial distress, and out-of-state tuition hikes are considered a perfectly valid and desirable way to help make up the shortfall.
As usual, jazzlover cuts to the chase. This guy knows Colorado.

BTW, the definition of "pay through the nose" is $28K just for tuition and fees at CU this year for out of state students, $8.5K for in state students.

The state universities in Colorado have become BMW schools: Bring Money With.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylorbear134 View Post
Soon I will visit Colorado from Texas and will try and visit some colleges. I plan on visiting Colorado@Boulder and Fort Lewis. Any other recommendations for schools with nice campuses and good academics?
Privately owned Colorado College in COLO SPGS is worth of your attention. It's in a good walkable area of town, simply beautiful, and academically strong. Some students pay in the ballpark of $40k/year for tuition/boarding.

Depending on what you want to study, the Colo School of Mines, in beautiful Golden, CO, is a highly respected college, not an MIT or Stanford, but certainly worthy of consideration.

Lastly, CSU in Fort Collins is a highly respected institution with a ton of offerings. The town is quite nice and has a walkable downtown area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Why do you want to go to college? If I were you, I'd first do a cost benefit analysis. There are way too many new college grads $100K+ into debt with no job.

Be advised that educational debt is not discharged in bankruptcy.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Privately owned Colorado College in COLO SPGS is worth of your attention. It's in a good walkable area of town, simply beautiful, and academically strong. Some students pay in the ballpark of $40k/year for tuition/boarding.

Depending on what you want to study, the Colo School of Mines, in beautiful Golden, CO, is a highly respected college, not an MIT or Stanford, but certainly worthy of consideration.

Lastly, CSU in Fort Collins is a highly respected institution with a ton of offerings. The town is quite nice and has a walkable downtown area.

Last I checked, the Colorado School of Mines was #1 in a couple disciplines...like mining engineering. It has been awhile since I checked but I'll say this. Engineers are always impressed with a CSM degree...it opens plenty of doors. MIT is a big money school that not everyone can relate to.

Isn't Standford known for other things than engineering? I honestly don't know.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM

45 posts, read 142,674 times
Money is not too much of a concern for my case. I have good grades and hopefully would be eligible for some scholarship money. I'm currently exploring journalism, political science and pre-law.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'll look into the CU system, CC, and CSU. You guys live in an incredible state and are very lucky.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Money is not too much of a concern for my case. I have good grades and hopefully would be eligible for some scholarship money. I'm currently exploring journalism, political science and pre-law.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'll look into the CU system, CC, and CSU. You guys live in an incredible state and are very lucky.
CU is dropping its journalism major. CSU has a very good journalism program. I don't know what CC has.

If you want to get a JD, it doesn't really matter what your major is, though many people get degrees in history and poli sci.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:

It seems to me that you are picking the State first and the school second. If you were concerned with the academics, you would already know the differences between the institutions. That is a wrong approach to getting a higher education. You have let your exaggeration and imagination run wild with "incredible" thoughts of living in Colorado.

"...Gee, Golly, I want to live in that AWESOME State..." I see this all the time on this forum..."I want to snowboard and ski..."

Now is the time to think about the best quality education that you can get, at the minimal expense--regardless of location and then, in the future, you worry about finding a place to live thats fits you desires. However, more than likely, you go where the jobs are located!

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado