Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 AM

10 posts, read 46,280 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking at relocating to Colorado. We've been looking at places like Evergreen, Aurora, Boulder, Colorado Springs, etc. Here is what we are looking for.

We have two sons, age 14 and 11, one entering HS and one entering Middle School. We're looking for good schools as well as things going on for the kids.

We like the snow, but I don't want a boatload of it. I use to live in Wisconsin and the snow would fall and sit for weeks. Is it like that in Colorado, or does it melt quickly?

We would like access to the mountains, as well as recreational and outdoor activities to do. Also having good shopping and dining is another plus.

We don't want to be in a "cookie cutter" home, but we don't want to be isolated from the neighbors either.

Obviously, we would like to have nice and friendly people around us.

Our prince range is in the 500-550 area.

I know that is a lot of information and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML09 View Post
My family and I are looking at relocating to Colorado. We've been looking at places like Evergreen, Aurora, Boulder, Colorado Springs, etc. Here is what we are looking for.

We have two sons, age 14 and 11, one entering HS and one entering Middle School. We're looking for good schools as well as things going on for the kids.

We like the snow, but I don't want a boatload of it. I use to live in Wisconsin and the snow would fall and sit for weeks. Is it like that in Colorado, or does it melt quickly?

We would like access to the mountains, as well as recreational and outdoor activities to do. Also having good shopping and dining is another plus.

We don't want to be in a "cookie cutter" home, but we don't want to be isolated from the neighbors either.

Obviously, we would like to have nice and friendly people around us.

Our prince range is in the 500-550 area.

I know that is a lot of information and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Matt
Monument, CO: Many homes are custom on 1/2 to 5 acre lots. Forty Minutes from the Denver Tech Center, 25 minutes from central Colorado Springs. Prices range from $400K to $1.4M. Check out Fox Run, Higby Estates, Bent Tree, Kings Deer, Cathedral Pines, High Forest Ranch. Many of these homes are bounded by Douglas County on the north, I-25 on the west, Highway 83 on the east and Northgate on the south. Most if not all are D38 schools. They're building a new high school in the area too, opening September 2008.

Also Check out the Black Forest area.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM

309 posts, read 365,344 times
Default Another Good Choice....

Yes, the Monument area is nice but growing too rapidly for some as Colorado Springs continues its growth to the north and east.
Monument Hill.....along I-25 can get messy in the winter.....but as with much of the snow in the region....it generally melts quickly and is plowed often.

Another Good Choice......which you could seriously consider and with a budget in your range.....

WOODLAND PARK.......
About 20 miles northwest of Colorado Springs with magnificent views of Pikes Peak. Absolutely gorgeous.....but has been growing rapidly for over a decade as well. It is still small enough though and a great community overall. A bit more snow.....but not too much. Schools are pretty good from what I've heard. Lots of mountain biking and its not bad of a drive through open range country further up into the "high" country and a lot of ski resorts past Park County on into Summit County.
Just be aware of going over some high altitute passes to get to these ski areas.....except for the little one in Colo. Sprgs.....Ski Broadmoor (not enough snow though or might not even be in operation anymore)....not sure.
If I could afford to......I would give the Woodland Park area a real consideration myself.
It is quite a ways from the Denver-metro area but only about a half hour into the Springs.
I think you would like Woodland Park overall.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 46,280 times
What are your guys opinions on Evergreen?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 42,427 times
I think evergreen is kind of isolated. It really isn't a suburban town for a family. I lived there for a year and it really just wasn't a nice place for me. I would look at aurora. A place that sounds like something you're family wants is Cherry Hill, NJ. try that. Colorado though... I would try aurora.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamio View Post
I think evergreen is kind of isolated. It really isn't a suburban town for a family. I lived there for a year and it really just wasn't a nice place for me. I would look at aurora. A place that sounds like something you're family wants is Cherry Hill, NJ. try that. Colorado though... I would try aurora.
In re: Evergreen: there's no there there, as the saying goes. It is a beautiful area, and there are people on this board who say it's good for families. They do have a nice rec center, and the lake is great for outdoor ice skating in the winter.

I'm not crazy about Aurora, since I've always lived on the west side, even when I lived right in the city. I would suggest Louisville, especially since you want mtn access. You can get a nice house there in your price range. Schools are great (though I would say anywhere that has homes in that price range will have good schools). Lots of kids of all ages and activiites for them. You can take the RTD (city) bus to Eldora Ski area (change in Boulder or just go to the Boulder bus station). Superior, just to the south of Louisville, has the kids, good schools, activities, etc, but it is really cookie-cutterville. And there's no "there" there, either.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
The only thing I know about Evergreen is that they have great mountain biking, at Alderfer/Three Sisters and at Elk Meadow (up to Bergen Peak) Open Space Parks. Superb singletrack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado