Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 AM

14 posts, read 19,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Puerto Rico is part of the US.

With your situation you might also want to consider Northern Virginia as there are quite a few government IT services contractors operating there who employ network services folks. One I can think of off hand is Harris Corporation in Herndon. If you can get into cyber-security that's a hot area right now and into the foreseeable future. Many of these contractors will hire you, get you an interim clearance initially and then a final clearance which will open up a lot more career possibilities. Your wife would also have a relatively easy time finding work there in accounting.

Why are you worried about figuring out taxes? Your accountant wife can do that.

yeah.... i guess she can manage, being account and and all.... but she has never actually dealt with federal taxes. even though we're a commonwealth (property of.... not part of US) we can opt out the federal tax payment.
i for one, never have. neither has she.

hmm.... clearance? is that limited to government jobs or any kind?

to be completely honest, i was avoiding my own kin.
that's why i was totally uninterested in places like FL or NY, Chicago, Texas, ect..... There's no point in moving to the states if all I'm going to see are more latinos. It's not like I hate my own kind, don't get me wrong, but I've seen some sh*t now... not only based of the fragile economy we have to go through, but also society-collective-wise, as a community, we're messed up in ways I'm not even able to begin describing.

I do want our customs to be passed down to our sons and grandsons, but are certain aspects of it, i'm just trying to run away from. -_-

anyway, I've heard Virginia has quite the latin community, that's why I haven't researched that state. But I might today, I grow impatient while searching for jobs on the US. Hopefully, my opportunity lies there.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-07-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Is it just Puerto Ricans you're trying to avoid, or all Latinos?

If so, Colorado no es su lugar (not your place).

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Is it just Puerto Ricans you're trying to avoid, or all Latinos?

If so, Colorado no es su lugar (not your place).
well... i wouldn't mind avoiding them all, but if I had to pick then I would say Puertorricans. -_-

really?? much latinos there?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junZ View Post
indeed.

i should be about 60-70 degrees in here (with the A/C on high @ work) and i'm freezing my ass like.... i can't feel my fingers anymore.
If you are freezing in 60-70, I'd sugeestnyou reconsider moving to Colorado. -10+ degrees is common inn the winter, and even in the summer, the evenings are colder than 60-70.

The geographic chane will be drastic tonwhat you're used to also. Coming from a lush, green and wet place to the desert will be a shock.

Also, I'm not sure if you have family there, but traveling from CO to anywhere on the east coast,and certainly out of the country canbe a bit much.

Have you tried looking at areas in the south east of the US? North Florida is nice, and similar to climate you are used to.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 AM

....so much for trying to avoid this sh*thole and it's society. *sigh*

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

thank you for your replies, all...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
well... i wouldn't mind avoiding them all, but if I had to pick then I would say Puertorricans. -_-

really?? much latinos there?
~ 1,000,000 at last count, close to 20% of the population. Mostly Mexicans, and native-born "Hispanics" who choose not to identify with an ancestral nation other than the US.

There are very few Puerto Ricans here, in fact, I can't say I know any here.

Nowadays, you'll be hard-pressed to find large urban areas in the US that are lacking Latinos. Maybe places like St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Memphis, etc,. From personal experience, Spokane, WA/North Idaho, and the state of Montana has a noticeable lack of Latinos.

However, perhaps it's the class of people you're around?

Last edited by Count David; 04-07-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
~ 1,000,000 at last count, close to 20% of the population. Mostly Mexicans, and native-born "Hispanics" who choose not to identify with an ancestral nation other than the US.

There are very few Puerto Ricans here, in fact, I can't say I know any here.

Nowadays, you'll be hard-pressed to find large urban areas in the US that are lacking Latinos. Maybe places like St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Memphis, etc,. From personal experience, Spokane, WA/North Idaho, and the state of Montana has a noticeable lack of Latinos.

However, perhaps it's the class of people you're around
?
nope. not really the "class" but as a whole society. if any of you played AD&D, i would see my own race like Drizzt and the drow. Yeah, I'm a geek I know. I love RA Salvatore.

Anyway.... i see my own society as bad. the worse of the worse. that's why i'm like, totally running away from this place the first chance I get.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,013 times
You may try Ft. Collins, among the smaller cities in CO it probably has the best job opportunities (?) and a nice overall quality of life, good school system, things to do, etc.

As for Denver, I really don't think you should be afraid of the "big city" in Colorado - Denver has wonderful quiet neighborhoods with tree-lined streets, parks, etc., fairly nice people, slower pace of life compated to a "big city," and if you live and work in the city there's no reason to get on the highway during rush hour as you can drive on the city streets, take the bus/light rail, or bicycle. There are a few suburbs of Denver - like Engelwood or Littleton or, in a few years, Arvada - where you can get into town by train.

I'm sure Colorado Springs is nice as well, beautiful, access to mountains, smaller than Denver, certainly known as being more conservative.

Then there is Boulder County, a suburb of Denver. Boulder certainly has jobs in the technology sector, and some people love it here.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Anyway.... i see my own society as bad. the worse of the worse. that's why i'm like, totally running away from this place the first chance I get.
most of the lower 48 has a lot of all kinds of folks... Latinos included. In my opinion, if you retain the mindset that an entire society can be "bad", you will never be able to outrun it...no matter where you go or what sorts of people that you surround yourself with. Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado