Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 PM

28 posts, read 79,416 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are spending our vacation in your great state this summer! I'm so excited but could use some help to finalize my plans. Which route is most scenic 24 or 91 heading to Leadville? Also is Mesa Verde handicap accessible? Husband can't walk far. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,496 times
Wink Leadville & Mesa Verde NP

Your route into Leadville may be dictated more by geography than scenery, as the approaches are so different.

I cannot speak to US 24 between Leadville and I-70, but depending on direction one route would make more sense than the other. CO 91 between I-70 and Leadville is perfectly scenic, and an easy if uphill drive in Summer. If thinking of US 24 from south of Leadville, as from Buena Vista, then an entirely different region, but scenic as well. If seeking something truly scenic, try CO 82 over Independence Pass between Twin Lakes and Aspen.

At least some of the facilities at Mesa Verde National Park should be handicap accessible. Not all the trails will be. But many points of interest can be viewed at a distance from a vehicle at certain overlooks. If the interest, it would be worth the visit. More detailed information can be gleaned directly from the national park service. The website of Mesa Verde NP provides a good deal of information, but a phone call directly to the Park may help as well.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM

28 posts, read 79,416 times
thank you I'm really excited about vacationing in Colorado.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,028 times
Between taking 24 or 91 into Leadville from the north? That is a close call. 24 winds through gorgeous mountain scenery well below treeline, and follows a nice canyon for much of the drive.

91 goes up and over a pass, the top of which is closer to treeline, and the views from that road are more of bare mountain peaks and big sky than of forested canyons.

If I were driving through and had to pick one, for an out-of-stater, probably 91. But they're both such great drives it's hard to choose!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,776 times
Bumping this up. We're considering this in the last week of March 2012. I know the weather can be very hit or miss, but is it suicidal then? 160 to Mesa Verde then on to the Grand Canyon.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:02 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Bumping this up. We're considering this in the last week of March 2012. I know the weather can be very hit or miss, but is it suicidal then? 160 to Mesa Verde then on to the Grand Canyon.
Only suicidal if you attempt it in a raging blizzard, or if it's iced over for some unknown reason. Just check the weather reports and check the CDOT site for road conditions.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
I've been on those roads several times in late March/early April from the Four Corners to Flagstaff. Keep in mind you're on reservation lands and probably the most reliable (and more traveled) road is U.S. 160 which goes all the way past Tuba City and dead ends at U.S. 89, about 60 miles north of Flagstaff. And the weather can get nasty fairly quick, especially while you're getting close to Flagtown as the elevation is near 7000 ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado