Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times

Advertisements

Rent a motorhome and have a different spectaular view every night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM

30 posts, read 68,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Do you have an open ended budget? Because nice hotels with expansive views are going to be pricey. And also some that have views, you have to watch because not all will have the best view or much of a view at all on the lower priced rooms.

Also are you going soon or in the winter?
I do!! We have been saving for a few months just to SPLURGEE!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:56 AM

Thank ALL of you for your fantastic ideas.. I'm going to take a minute and research everything that you guys mentioned for me!

Since Idunn, Jim9251, and Dogmama50 all recommended Redstone.. I think I will definitely have to check that out!!! Thanks Idunn for recommending so much!

More idea welcome!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink via Independence Pass

One other thing I'll add to this little sojourn is the possibility of driving Independence Pass.

It may or not fit on the itinerary, but possibly could. If at all so it is a fantastic drive over one of the highest (elevation: 12,095 feet) and most beautiful passes in Colorado. Also of course a fair weather excursion as this pass closes every autumn until the next spring.

One consideration in nearby lodging I had was directly at the east side of this pass in the quaintly small town of Twin Lakes. There is a historically old lodge there which offered historically small and simple rooms, with bath down the hall, but what was something of a marvel of fine dining downstairs in a pleasantly rustic dining room. Unfortunately the last iteration of this business as The Inn of the Black Wolf has since closed, and the proprietors I had in mind long gone, in one way or another. There are a few other lodging options in Twin Lakes, but all things considered the better option might lie across the pass in Aspen.

There are several good reasons for that, with a good one simply in being able to say later you've visited. And probably enjoyed it. Aspen is a perfectly pleasant and lovely town within an attractive setting. The bigger complaint many will probably have with it is that it is too hauté couture for their tastes. But envy aside, more likely because too rich for their pocket book. For someone more concerned with a good place to visit for a day or two, it could be quite nice.

One of the better views from Aspen is arguably in looking west towards the ski mountain dropping to the edge of town. There will be a number of hotels offering such a view. Depending upon how one looks at such things, it is not a superlative view of the mountains, but certainly nice enough. I can and will not provide any specific recommendations on lodging, but would suggest that properties such as the Hotel Jerome or Hyatt Grand Aspen might prove suitable -- at a price. Just as well if one in the mood to splurge a little, because Aspen is custom suited to such an enterprise.

If nothing else, Independence Pass, should it seem feasible.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Awesome!! Luckily I'm a fan of both worlds; from simple and tucked away, to trendy and upscale.. so Aspen is appealing! We'll definitely have to check it out!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 PM

325 posts, read 371,875 times
I'm going to throw my hat in here and say Stanley Hotel. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. All of the other suggestions are also wonderful, but there is something about sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch of the Stanley Hotel with a hot cup of cocoa on a clear, crisp night, watching the moon rise over the mountains while you carry on conversations with people all over the world ... or maybe just with your SO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado