Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times

Advertisements

Yes, Texas has a lot of jobs, but your quality of life will suffer. I lived in Houston for a month and couldn't leave fast enough. Hated it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 6,929 times
I appreciate all of the comments so far, but honestly I would rather live somewhere I enjoy after work than somewhere I hate. I have lived with little to no means, probably less than most people. But if there is an opportunity out there I have to seize it. I am not slouch, I like to work. Currently I am attending college full-time and work full-time. I am aware that it would be foolish of me to uproot my family for a "chance", I am also aware of the "we are full" mentality. I lived in Texas, remember. I feel like I have 2 options in my current life; Complacency of the current state of things like a minimum wage job and no chance of advancement. Or, busting my ass in school so that I may be one who "makes it". I am willing to take that risk. I grew up watching my Mom bust her ass to keep the lights on, she couldn't drive and would sell her blood for food coupons. I owe it to myself and my family to try just as hard, if not harder. I know I could go anywhere and "find a job", to me that is irrelevant. There is always a Wal-mart, a bathroom to be cleaned, and a fat-ass to feed fast-food to. I have worked all kinds of jobs. To simply give into the mindset that little can be achieved in "this economy" is an underachievers attitude. I am aware that things are bleak, but judging by the attitude of my generation I can run circles around my peers and do.

I know that I may not find a glamorous job right off the bat, I am not expecting to. To me there is no other option, stay here and be miserable. Or, take a chance and do something that I feel I should do. I would much rather regret moving to CO and it not work out and admit defeat, than succumb to "its as good as it's going to be, so bend over and smile." There are a lot of unmotivated people out there, I am not one of them. A missed opportunity is a regret in my book, and I don't like long books.

Every time I have visited Colorado, I always have a sense of belonging, peace, and cleanliness. Again, I am a minimalist, I don't need a whole lot to be happy. A 250,000 house, a car note, credit cards, debt, bank loans, and material possessions mean little to me. If I am gonna work like a dog for the rest of my life, I would rather be as comfortable as I can be in the process. While Texas could very well be an option again at some point, now is not that time. I have years to sit on my ass and get old, and be content. But I like working hard, I like knowing I have earned everything I have. I want nothing for free, I don't want any handouts, and I don't want any easy path set before me.

Thanks again for all replies, your advice is truly helpful.

Last edited by southern.traveler; 09-05-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If you don't have a job in hand before you relocate, you are likely in for a very miserable "Colorado experience." Every year, small Colorado towns disgorge a bunch of young people who can not find jobs in their home communities. They migrate to the Front Range cities (or out of state). The well educated ones with strong work ethic usually find jobs--but they aren't living the Colorado dream, they're stuck in the metro hell-holes, likely working a job with limited opportunities for betterment. Add to them the hordes of out-of-staters--many of them well-educated with strong resumés and lengthy work experience--who pine to live in Colorado. A lot of them are more than willing to take jobs for which they are grossly overqualified in order to 'live the dream"--which, of course, further limits the number of entry-level jobs available for young people. A lot of those "underemployed" transplants leave dissatisfied after a few years, but there are hordes more to replace them.
One half has the experience but don't know how to look for a job let alone present it appropriately when applying via different methods. The other half don't have the experience but send out thousands of resumes a month. There just happens to be more students being churned out without any relevant work experience. The ones who come to Colorado can make it in Colorado only if they're the best OF the best. That's because everyone, in this economy, only wants the best. It's no longer about settling for the mediocre. Someone has to pick up the slack and that is the work force, not the employers. There are jobs opening and closing every day because someone wants to move up or move down in the food chain. As you've stated numerous of times on this board, there are not enough jobs to supplement the amount of people moving into Colorado.

That's one huge reason for one to finish schooling where they are already located because being hired from out of state isn't as common as being hired in-state. As the out-of-state employees take up the jobs in-state people could be obtaining, in-state people adjust and move away to other cities. It might be nice to work where you were born and raised but that's not always the case. That's the truth the people moving into our state faced in their home state.

Not everything that is good gets reported as much as everything that is bad. People are more likely to complain than voice gratitude and appreciation. The ones who express their joy openly and advertise as such are most likely the enthusiasts who have been trending along since the start.

The good things that happen in the job market start out small which means word of such doesn't get out like companies already established. That's one reason why people think they might get lucky and find that new trend of jobs that's slowly growing in the industry. Human capital, in the long run, will improve the economy. It is better as a whole that we have more educated minds of different varieties. The U.S. Department of Justice likes to think so and wants it to be so. Even if people moving in lose their job, there's always someplace else that is hiring. And with the company losing such employees, it may be a chance for someone else who's better at that job to fill in that position sooner or later rather than someone who is qualified but wasn't exactly someone fit for the job in terms of personality or human characteristics.

It all comes together by itself with no intervention from any governing body because human instinct will direct them in whichever path they choose. They're most welcome to setup roots and truck through the storm instead of having no roots and running from the storm. Everyone will learn the hard way once in a while whether they want to or not. Regardless if it's a rude awakening call or an opportunistic one that opens new doors, not having enough is just as bad as having too much.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern.traveler View Post
I appreciate all of the comments so far, but honestly I would rather live somewhere I enjoy after work than somewhere I hate. I have lived with little to no means, probably less than most people. But if there is an opportunity out there I have to seize it. I am not slouch, I like to work. Currently I am attending college full-time and work full-time. I am aware that it would be foolish of me to uproot my family for a "chance", I am also aware of the "we are full" mentality. I lived in Texas, remember. I feel like I have 2 options in my current life; Complacency of the current state of things like a minimum wage job and no chance of advancement. Or, busting my ass in school so that I may be one who "makes it". I am willing to take that risk. I grew up watching my Mom bust her ass to keep the lights on, she couldn't drive and would sell her blood for food coupons. I owe it to myself and my family to try just as hard, if not harder. I know I could go anywhere and "find a job", to me that is irrelevant. There is always a Wal-mart, a bathroom to be cleaned, and a fat-ass to feed fast-food to. I have worked all kinds of jobs. To simply give into the mindset that little can be achieved in "this economy" is an underachievers attitude. I am aware that things are bleak, but judging by the attitude of my generation I can run circles around my peers and do.

I know that I may not find a glamorous job right off the bat, I am not expecting to. To me there is no other option, stay here and be miserable. Or, take a chance and do something that I feel I should do. I would much rather regret moving to CO and it not work out and admit defeat, than succumb to "its as good as it's going to be, so bend over and smile." There are a lot of unmotivated people out there, I am not one of them. A missed opportunity is a regret in my book, and I don't like long books.

Every time I have visited Colorado, I always have a sense of belonging, peace, and cleanliness. Again, I am a minimalist, I don't need a whole lot to be happy. A 250,000 house, a car note, credit cards, debt, bank loans, and material possessions mean little to me. If I am gonna work like a dog for the rest of my life, I would rather be as comfortable as I can be in the process. While Texas could very well be an option again at some point, now is not that time. I have years to sit on my ass and get old, and be content. But I like working hard, I like knowing I have earned everything I have. I want nothing for free, I don't want any handouts, and I don't want any easy path set before me.

Thanks again for all replies, you advice is truly helpful.
I am glad someone agrees with me about the job market. It got a hell of a lot harder to find a job as the years passed by but that's in term of effort. However, when an employer finds someone and actually hires them only to find out they're one of the best, everyone essentially is happy. And I'm glad to work with such people who understand no one gets by without taking a chance. Everyone takes a chance subconsciously just by breathing anyways but not everything is laid out for us neatly and in one place. Sometimes the X marks the spot but there was no treasure after spending so long to find and dig it up. A lot of people get that but assume it's going to get worse which affects their outlook and future worth ethic, an underachiever's attitude.

That is where we use our obtained human skills from growing up to find the puzzle pieces before finally being able to create our bigger picture. One of those human instincts is to migrate and find a new place to live that is thriving or has potential to thrive. Not many people stay in one place when they're lost. They keep looking for signs. Some die after not being able to find their way, and some create a new way for others to follow. That is the harsh truth, not that it's a "brutal economy." It's about deciding which road to build or which one to follow that has already been built.

I have to say I'm honestly glad there are people moving around trying different things. Building new relationships or something new that will advance our civilization into the future. That includes children learning the value of money or hard work, appreciating each level of management or of the workforce because we're all in it together; Executives realize they're nothing without the blue collars building their products and blue collars realize executives are trying to advance the company's well being and financial stability if not advancement. Sometimes people make mistakes and we are all affected but at least we share the burden so that we don't lose a country every century.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM

352 posts, read 797,619 times
You've got gumption, grit, and passion, southern.traveler! Follow your heart and everything else will show up, too.

There's more to life than economics. If a young family like yours was interested in the remote, rural life, my tiny town (pop. +/- 60) would welcome you with open arms. Our elders are dying off at a rapid rate, and we need resourceful self-starters who aren't afraid of creating their own lives from the ground up. Granted, it's not for everyone -- and you did specify an interest in larger metro areas -- but you can't blame me for trying...

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
You've got gumption, grit, and passion, southern.traveler! Follow your heart and everything else will show up, too.

There's more to life than economics. If a young family like yours was interested in the remote, rural life, my tiny town (pop. +/- 60) would welcome you with open arms. Our elders are dying off at a rapid rate, and we need resourceful self-starters who aren't afraid of creating their own lives from the ground up. Granted, it's not for everyone -- and you did specify an interest in larger metro areas -- but you can't blame me for trying...
He's going to be fine, and he's going to love Colorado when he does get here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
OP- It seems like you have drive and determination and you will do what ever it takes to create a better life for your family. A scouting trip will be very useful, you might try posting on the Ft. Collins forum for specifics on k-12 schools and cost of living. Rentals in Denver have been in high demand lately and have been driving up that market.

My best advice for moving is save every penny now, cut out every luxury with the goal of moving for a better life. If you get here and quickly find a job, a great place with low rent and find you have more money saved than you needed consider it a huge bonus. Best of Luck!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:45 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I've only lived here for two years, and don't need to work, but in talking to a lot of folks who do need to work, it's tough here. I would suggest visiting all areas of the state, Colorado is a big ol place. And go to the LOCAL cafe's, not the plastic chains, for breakfast and talk to locals.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Shockingly, I agree with jazzlover on the job situation. However, I do not feel it's hopeless. I would say relocate to Denver; you will find the most jobs there. Ft. Collins has a rep of having lots of low-paying jobs b/c so many people stay there after graduation. B/C it's a more rural area, there just aren't as many jobs as there are even in Boulder. Boulder might work if you'd be willing to live in Boulder County. There are even some rural-ish areas there if that's what you're looking for. As for child care, I believe it's fairly easy to get on at most day care centers. My daughter has worked at several; once she was hired on the spot. Do not worry about the schools.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I've only lived here for two years, and don't need to work, but in talking to a lot of folks who do need to work, it's tough here. I would suggest visiting all areas of the state, Colorado is a big ol place. And go to the LOCAL cafe's, not the plastic chains, for breakfast and talk to locals.

Good luck to you.
Agreed. Just in yesterday's Grand Junction's Daily Sentinel the front page headlines read "Employment Drought Lingers". This isn't some "oh boo hoo, woe is me, I just got laid off my job" story, this is a story of a qualified and very experienced office manager who isn't in her third month of unemployment but in her third year of unemployment.

Jim is right. It's the Starvin' Arvin's in Montrose, Butch's restaurant in Delta, South side Restaurant (now Randy's) in Orchard Mesa, that's where you get the straight scoop from the locals who have seen hard times aplenty. And these businesses aren't fail safe either. Randy's laid off a dishwasher and a cashier a year and a half ago. My chiropractor had to lay off a receptionist.

It's still pretty tough over here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado