Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,707 times

Advertisements

[quote=VenusAllen;20864019][quote=Lugnuts;20861903]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post

"How the hell do you know??? Sorry but it is completely irresponsible to transfer your experience on to other people who are in a completely different set of circumstances."

Are you serious? Geez, Francis, lighten up. I am attempting to encourage them to follow their dreams, whatever they may be. I guess I could remind them of the big 'ol scary world that is ready to consume them but then, we have you for that.

It will be interesting to see what you think of it in ten years time...

Hope we can stick it out that long since the vast majority (your words) leave after a year .
If I was moving to Kentucky, I would seek out your input and give it the careful consideration that it deserves. Do you know why? BECAUSE YOU ARE FROM KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!! I started living in CO in 1987 (part time) and I became a full time resident in 1996. I try not to give people my opinon of Colorado but rather, the benefit of my experience. So it's a little tedious to listen to newbies post about how Colorado is nirvana or bliss or mecca,blah,blah, blah, etc. It is what it is. If you are in a position to benefit from what Colorado has to offer, then more power to you. But pumping sunshine up everyone's skirt is simply reckless and has NOTHING to do with the reality of making a living in rural Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Blowing smoke up everyone's skirt that it's sooooooo hard to make it HERE is irresponsible crap. Millions move around the country every year, and that includes moving to COLO. There is NOTHING so special about Colorado that it makes moving here any different than anywhere else.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Dayna, as a fellow teacher, your SpEd credential makes you very marketable. That is your ace-in-the-hole.

As a poor young social worker, I lived in Steamboat, Manitou, Ft Collins, Alamosa, La Veta, Trinidad & Aguilar and never starved on my measly salaries. Often, I supplemented with waitressing. In fact, my teacher's salaries seemed rich to me after those experiences LOL!

I found my best teaching position with the best salary, benefits, & retirement in Anchorage after attending a teacher's jobs fair. I splurged on the airfare, hotel room at the jobs fair location & a couple of sincere suits for interviews. It worked! And I was an Outsider. So google Colorado jobs fairs that occur early spring. Someone recommended that you get a Colorado state teaching certificate ahead of time. Very important advice. Go to jobs fairs with that in hand. Be sure to get your SpEd & Counselor endorsement too. Those make you much more marketable.

Good luck! I always found Colorado towns to be very welcoming.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
[quote=Lugnuts;20865013][quote=VenusAllen;20864019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post

If I was moving to Kentucky, I would seek out your input and give it the careful consideration that it deserves. Do you know why? BECAUSE YOU ARE FROM KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!! I started living in CO in 1987 (part time) and I became a full time resident in 1996. I try not to give people my opinon of Colorado but rather, the benefit of my experience. So it's a little tedious to listen to newbies post about how Colorado is nirvana or bliss or mecca,blah,blah, blah, etc. It is what it is. If you are in a position to benefit from what Colorado has to offer, then more power to you. But pumping sunshine up everyone's skirt is simply reckless and has NOTHING to do with the reality of making a living in rural Colorado.
Excellent points. Sunshine pumping doesn't do anyone any good and I think in most cases people on here present realistic viewpoints and all put forth many suggestions and helpful info worth considering.

Colorado has a lot to offer, but it is also a unique state that presents many challenges that many are unprepared for. Pointing a lot of that out may sound "negative" but it's being realistic.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Blowing smoke up everyone's skirt that it's sooooooo hard to make it HERE is irresponsible crap. Millions move around the country every year, and that includes moving to COLO. There is NOTHING so special about Colorado that it makes moving here any different than anywhere else.
Sure if you are like 90% of the people that end up living on the Front Range, yeah it's not too much harder than moving to any other urban area. There is good reason 90% of the population clusters on the I-25 corridor.

But living in mountain or rural Colorado is difficult. Harsh weather, lack of jobs, difficulties in transportation in winter, long distances from regular services and shopping.

I don't think it's doing anyone a disservice by pointing out some of the issues that are going to crop up. Especially when they have an idealized view of what they think Colorado is. Where the purdy pictures in Colorado come from, is from places in the state 99.5% of the population will never be able to live in, for a variety of reasons.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
it is also a unique state that presents many challenges that many are unprepared for.....
Quote:
There is NOTHING so special about Colorado that it makes moving here any different than anywhere else.
Hmmmmm

- Only state with high mountains? No.
- Only state with long, cold or snowy winters? No.
- Only state with a higher than average Cost of Living? No.
- Only state with scenery or other features that make it desirable? No.
- Only state with dirt roads and farm town? No.
- Only state that has a dry climate and water issues? No.
- Only state where jobs are difficult in this economy? No.
- Only state with no ocean front property? No.
- Only state with good-old-boy networks? No.

What is it then that's so different about COLO that several posters have to belabor the point over and over in every thread like some kind of broken record?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,707 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm

What is it then that's so different about COLO that several posters have to belabor the point over and over in every thread like some kind of broken record?
No offense Mike, but if you lived here you wouldn't have to ask....

Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
No offense Mike, but if you lived here you wouldn't have to ask....
I really don't see anything so unusual that it deserves all these posts. It's tough all over, the weather / climate can be quite rigorous but then again so can a howling nor'easter on Cape Cod, hiring is competitive.

The OPs have done their homework, they'll do fine; tons of people post here to help other people get it right and that's what we'll do.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM

169 posts, read 373,280 times
[quote=Lugnuts;20865013][quote=VenusAllen;20864019]
Quote:

"Pumping sunshine", are you high? I simply gave an honest assessment of what we're going through RIGHT NOW and offered encouragement. Actually, the fact that I moved from KY does indeed make me an expert on moving here, so thanks for pointing that out. You act as though that information should be tossed out, as though your experiences have greater weight than mine. Newsflash: they don't. My position, like yours, isn't an opinion, it's FACT. I have no agenda, I want the OP to know that there are others just like them who have done it. I didn't call you out, but for some reason you feel the need to discredit me, why? Do you have an agenda? Of course they should have as many of their I's dotted and T's crossed as possible but if you read the OP's posts you would know she's been working on the hubby to move for four years which doesn't sound like a knee-jerk decision to me.
Still stunned that sharing one's experience can be interpreted as "pumping sunshine".

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM

169 posts, read 373,280 times
[quote=wanneroo;20866003]

I don't think it's doing anyone a disservice by pointing out some of the issues that are going to crop up.

I'm not saying that you are referring to me wanneroo, but I don't recall anyone suggesting that they throw caution to the wind and not do their due diligence. But for some reason Lugnuts has twisted this so it seems that way. Just wanted to point that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado