Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM

208 posts, read 257,889 times

Advertisements

I am tentatively visiting Colorado in late October and am looking for a suggestion regarding where to go. I love to hike and I love hot springs so I would like to combine these two activities. I know the weather is uncertain in many of the best hiking areas in October and other posts suggested going to Utah instead but I've already seen a great deal of Utah and late October is the only time I can travel. I would like to be within 1-1-1/2 hour of an airport since I will only have about 4-1/2 days on the ground and don't want to waste it driving long distances. Any ideas? I've already been to Durango 2 or 3 times and to Pagosa. I've been reading about Glenwood hot springs area--how is the hiking there? What about the area south of Colorado Springs near Salida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Daisy; we've a number of threads on here about that, find them by using the Advanced Search tool, it's easy.

- Click on Search
- Click on Advanced Search
- Enter HOT SPRINGS in the search box.
- Select SEARCH TITLES ONLY
- Select SHOW THREADS
- Select COLORADO from the list of forums
- Hit return

You'll get about eight threads, none too long, with info about Hot Springs around the state.

If you're flying into Denver, you can't really go wrong driving up to Glenwood Springs, once of the largest and best known. It's also a gorgeous drive through the Rockies, and it can be snowy at times in late October but CDOT does a great job plowing it quickly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
There is a little bit of hiking in the immediate Glenwood area, but not a lot. There is more closer to Aspen, but the weather is definitely tilting towards winter that time of year, so you will need to be prepared for winter conditions especially once you trek above 7000 ft.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I've been reading about Glenwood hot springs area--how is the hiking there?
I don't know about the immediate Glenwood area, but there's some great hiking in a 20 mile radius of it. There are several wonderful wilderness areas. I like the hot springs there too.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Go to college

For shame I have not been there, but the Mt. Princeton hot springs near Buena Vista (Nathrop, most closely) might be ideal.

While lots to recommend Glenwood Springs in general, the springs there, and the surrounding area, the springs still take the form of a large, seemingly Olympic-size, pool located adjacent to I-70. Interstates and hot springs are not good companions in my opinion. Moreover do not expect much privacy or serenity in such a large and public pool. But of course the drive from Denver on I-70 is beautiful.

If no interstate, the drive from Denver to Buena Vista would be about the same time-wise. As said, I've never been to these springs, but they are undeniably in a beautiful region, with surely some fine hiking nearby, and said to have more of a natural ambience.

A couple references:
Colorado Hot Springs - Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort (Nathrop, CO) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
The best Hot Springs in Colorado is ....Strawberry Park,..Steamboat Springs!!! Great hiking, etc.!!! Google it, you'll see!!!
Of course, the closest airport (small) is Eagle/Vail!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
Joyful Journey is south of Salida over Poncha Pass. Very nice hotsprings / spa. RP

Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Don't know if you're into skiing, but A-Basin and Loveland should be open by then if you want to get some very early skiing in

Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
[quote=SheridanL;20988565]The best Hot Springs in Colorado is ....Strawberry Park,..Steamboat Springs!!! Great hiking, etc.!!! Google it, you'll see!!!
Of course, the closest airport (small) is Eagle/Vail!!![/QUOTE]

Really? Isn't the Hayden airport only about 20 miles West of Steamboat Springs?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
While lots to recommend Glenwood Springs in general, the springs there, and the surrounding area, the springs still take the form of a large, seemingly Olympic-size, pool located adjacent to I-70. Interstates and hot springs are not good companions in my opinion. Moreover do not expect much privacy or serenity in such a large and public pool.
There are other pools in addition to the large ones, and there are also underground/cave pools for soaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado