Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
Great topic!!!

So many great places...

Cherry Cricket- best burgers and great atmosphere, a nice alternative in the trendy cherry creek area that is becoming more and more high end chains and high end everything...
Zolo Grill in Boulder- in a strip mall and fabulous
Pints Pub- an English Pub on 13th beside Art Musemn... close your eyes and you are in England...
rocky mountain diner- a denver institution
great suggestions, I did not know about Pints Pub--I am going to try it.

I remember when they put up the Rocky Mountain Diner. Rocky Mountain Diner They took an old building that was dismantled, years before, and reassembled it on the site. Just a beautiful building. I remember having a well done plate of Rocky Mountain Trout. Great Place for a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Many People do like them, especially when you are drinking. When I first came to Colorado, I was a Chef at large Hotel with big out of town banquet business. We would always get a call for these. I cannot eat them, knowing how they look and how you prepare them.

Every time I would serve them, there was always a guest who wanted to know, are they really want they are. When, I got the same question again from a especially obnoxious guest, who said these are not what I was serving; I selected a nice large juicy, veined, rubbery one and I put it on a silver platter and covered with napkin. I brought it out to the room to show him. Well, the look on his face was worth it as he ran to the men's room.

I got in trouble with the Hotel Manager, Eh, what can I say I was young.

Now, you can buy them, already prepared and ready for cooking--that is the way to go.
90% of the food most Americans eat would turn their stomach if they saw what it looked like before it was processed, or if they visited the plants where it is processed. Spend a couple of days in a meat packing plant and you'll think vegetables for awhile. Of course, fruit and vegetable canning plants are no picnic, either. Where do you suppose all of the wormy or cull fruit goes? Juice, of course. Same with vegetables. Tomato sauce, juice, soup? Mmmmm.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM

156 posts, read 947,064 times
I think raw whole Rocky Mountain Oysters were on Fear Factor once.
I wonder where they ever got their name

Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 PM

Rocky Mountain Diner -downtown - (havent been there for years)
Piper Inn for great burgers
Pappadeaux for some good pricey cajun
The Fort - for something very unique

Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk722 View Post
I think raw whole Rocky Mountain Oysters were on Fear Factor once.
I wonder where they ever got their name
They got their name from what they look like after you prepare them.
Traditionally they are sliced and dredged with flour and deep fried--they look exactly like fried oysters. Today you may see them also battered or breaded.

Some of the older member may remember Howard Johnson's Restaurants with the red roof. Their specialty was fried oysters and was a big hit in areas of the country where they never saw a real oyster.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Oh I sort of remember the red roofs but I was never a oyster fan of any kind... I would probably rather have a R. M. (again) than a regular one. lol

Old 08-23-2007, 08:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times
Great post idea, livecontent! Here are some good restaurants in Denver:

For great New Orleans style food... Bayou Bob's on the northwest corner of 16th and Glenarm downtown.

Lola's... new, chic Mexican restaurant that just opened in the Highlands on Boulder Street just off 15th and I-25.

Mongolian Grill... award winning Asian food. 7th and Quebec in Denver.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Writing about Italian accents on another thread, had me thinking about Gaetano's Restaurant on 38th and Tejon. Now this is the reputed Mafia restaurant in the area. Check out there Website, Gaetano's Italian ~ Italian to die for.. It surprises me that this place confesses to its' past. The inside has not changed for years and has a shrine to ole blue eyes--Frankie Sinatra.

I know it is a safe place to go--but I remember going there when some of these characters, described in the places history, were alive and sat at the bar and tables--nothing like a little stress with your pasta.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:06 AM

133 posts, read 750,676 times
Anyone remember BJ Strawberries? Is it still around?

Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 AM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
How about the Melting Pot in Littleton ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado