Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:22 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,995 times

Advertisements

Vail is the largest ski resort in the US - not the world.
Whistler is the largest ski resort in North America.
The largest ski resort in the world is Les 3 Vallées in France with the major villages Val Thorens, Les Menuires, Meribel and Courchevel. Les 3 Vallées has 600 km of piste which no other linked ski area is close to.

@neuro, I noticed that you are posting your website quite a bit so decided to take a look. You should do some proofreading - there are a lot of errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Let's not get wrapped around weasel worded website claims about who's biggest, etc, like the claim on one website that Vail Mountain is the largest single ski mountain in North America and similar claims for which one needs to parse the words very carefully, for what is said, what is not said, and definition of resort vs mountain, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Let's not get wrapped around weasel worded website claims about who's biggest, etc, like the claim on one website that Vail Mountain is the largest single ski mountain in North America and similar claims for which one needs to parse the words very carefully, for what is said, what is not said, and definition of resort vs mountain, etc.
I noticed the weasel words and even then the claim isn't valid. Vail spans more than one mountain/hill (Blue Sky Basin), just like WB.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Unless you pay for parking, it's a lot quicker to get up the mountain at Keystone. Breck is a hassle with the remote parking lot, shuttle bus, then town gondola.
Breck isn't that bad. I park in the lot at breck station, walk over and hop on the gondola.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Has anybody here skiied Wolf Creek this year? I was thinking about going up for Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM

232 posts, read 805,381 times
So, looking at the CDOT website, it says that Loveland pass is closed. Does that mean A-Basin resort is not accessible?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
So, looking at the CDOT website, it says that Loveland pass is closed. Does that mean A-Basin resort is not accessible?
It's still open, you just have to go the back way to get there: you go west through the Eisenhower Tunnel, get off at Dillon/Silverthorne, take the road that goes to Keystone past Keystone a few miles until you get to A-basin.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM

232 posts, read 805,381 times
Oh, at that rate I might as well just go to keystone. Forecast shows keystone a lot windyer than a-basin though, tomorrow. Do u have a recommendation?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
Oh, at that rate I might as well just go to keystone. Forecast shows keystone a lot windyer than a-basin though, tomorrow. Do u have a recommendation?
IMHO, A-basin is a great place to go 1) when the weather is great and clear (and not too windy) and you can ski the lifts at the top (and the Montezuma bowl if it's open), 2) early season or late season when nothing else is open, 3) if you're an advanced/expert skiier and plan on sticking to the Pali lift all day. If you're a beginner/intermediate skiier, I think you'll have more fun at Keystone. I've skiied at both many times before-- and I would say that from my experience A-basin is hands down windier than Keystone, no matter what day. The whole upper half of the mountain is above timberline and wide open, often with hurricane force, ferocious winds. Keystone is a kinder, gentler ski area, it's 100% below timberline, although due to its lower elevation it doesn't get as much snow or same quality of snow as A-basin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado