Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:02 AM

10 posts, read 46,121 times

Advertisements

Hi,
While looking for "horse property" in CO it seems that Equestrian Neighborhoods are popular there. We are coming from NC and a "farm" so although these neighborhoods seem very different to me, they seem like a great idea.
Is there anyone on the board who lives in one of these or knows about them? I'm just wondering if some are better then others? We will be visiting in 2 weeks and I can't wait to see CO. It's my first visit and I'm excited about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
You didn't state what part of CO you were interested in. There are 3 distinct areas of the state:
- Eastern 1/3 is flat or gently rolling dry grassland prairie, home to lots of ranching and farming. Where this area butts up against the mountains is called the Front Range and/or the I-25 Corridor. Most populous part of the state is the Front Range (FR). Familiar FR city names are Fort Collins, Boulder, Lakewood, Superior, Golden, Greeley, Firestone, Littleton, Aurora, Parker, Castle Rock, Larkspur, Monument, Black Forest, Colorado Springs, Pueblo. Tons of horses in this part of the state and many huge county fairgrounds with major horse facilities.
- Central 1/3 of CO is high mountains with all of the famous winter ski areas that you see on the news back east (Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, Winter Park, Steamboat Springs, Telluride, etc). Long, wicked winters and some horses.
- Western 1/3 is the quite dry, almost desert-like, warm, milder winters, some farming, some horses. I'm not very familiar with the Western Slope, others will have to advise you.

East of the mountains, along the FR, is a great place for horses. Arguably the most horse lovers in the nation are here.

Further east, in the grassland prairie, are all of the 40+ acre ranchettes or farmettes you'd ever want. That aspect of CO living essentially runs the whole north-south length of the state. There are horse lovers just about all over the state and just about anywhere you can find organized groups and events for all sorts of riding. Up near Golden is where the Westernaires call home, at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.

Some horse links that quickly come to mind are:
- Fairgrounds - Jefferson County, CO
- Westernaires | Home Page
- The Colorado Horse Park
- Douglas County, Colorado | Fairgrounds and Events Center | 866.333.0882 toll free
- Woodland park Saddle Club, Woodland Park, Colorado (http://www.woodlandparksaddleclub.org/ - broken link)
- Welcome to National Western!
- The Ranch - Larimer County Fairgrounds and Events Complex
There are TONS more of these places all over the state.

Much of the Black Forest area is heavily wooded, with numerous horse properties & neighorhoods, mostly on 5-acre plots. BF is north & east of COL SPGS. Some folks find that spot well suited to working in COL SPGS or in south Denver.

Just about anywhere along the FR is going to be horse country, with horse properties all over the place. There are tons of places to ride here in the region, those actually in the horse life can tell you better than I. Search out a few free yahoo groups email lists and ask a few questions.

Best bet is to hook up with a realtor (I'm not one) asap before coming out here. That will assure you get the max benefit of your travel dollars. Some realtors will know the horsier side of life here.

s/Mike

Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Get a copy of "The Fence Post", published in Windsor, CO. This popular weekly regional publication targets the rural/agricultural/farm/ranch and equine marketplace. Many of the real estate agents who specialize in the type of property you are seeking advertise in this, and you can get an idea about the current asking prices/locations of equine properties along the Front Range and Eastern Colorado. At a minimum, you'll be able to contact agents who know this marketplace directly.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:09 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,565 times
I know there are these equestrian neighborhoods. Myself I like to take care, feed, train etc my own horse on my own land. Some of those are good for people that don't or can't live where they can have animals like horses. But I do know some of these are very expensive and some are for some pretty snooty people or should I say. They think they are superior to other horse people. If you are into riding in only circles and taking lessons then they are great.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:37 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Wow, Nadine's on a roll today with a profound misunderstanding of what equestrian neighborhoods are all about. (not to mention the uncalled for and unfounded derrogatory assertions about all those other horse owners ...)

So, let's clarify here for her and the OP's benefit ...

Yes, some of the areas are expensive. So What?

The equestrian neighborhoods are developments targeted to folks with an interest in keeping horses on their OWN parcels, some as small as 5 acres, some much bigger than that. They keep their own horses on their own property, feed, train, and care for their own horses on their own property, too .... just like Nadine.

The development common areas between the property fences are shared for RIDING TRAILS and just plain playing around with your horse(s). Some have common trails developed to a size where a horse cart, wagon, or small carriage for driving can be safely used, or a sled in winter.

Some of the developments have stables and indoor/outdoor riding areas.

Some have based trainers and instructors, too.

The key common point is that the community by HOA reg's is horse friendly ... unlike some places I know of (like Boulder, for example) where the neighbors are too "snooty" to allow the noise, commotion, pollution, smells, insects, or risks of having horses and horse operations in their neighborhood, and have zoned them out of their areas.

I'm quite familiar with the upper crust(y) type of horse owners/trainers, too. I owned a commercial facility with a 200' x 280' indoor arena, outdoor arenas, roping pens w/chutes, spectator facilities, pens, barns, stables, on-site management housing ... and had a "world-champion" horse rider and his trainer wife try to intimidate me out of my own indoor arena when I was riding (for pleasure) my trail horse (and, incidentally ... a former top 5 nationally ranked driving, dressage, and jumper Morgan ... a lot more horse than I am rider). After getting their ration of unwarranted sh_t, I identified myself as the new facility owner and gave those folks their immediate notice to get out with their 15 horses ASAP. If I was that uncomfortable with those folks around with their attitude, then I know that the rest of my boarders were not happy, either. Life's too short for my disposable recreational dollars and time to be spent with folks like that ....

Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM

10 posts, read 46,121 times
Thank you all so much for all the info. Its very helpful.
I have seen some communities that have barns and you keep your horses on your own land. It looks like we are looking a lot in the FR areas.
I'm hopeing that someone who lives there in one of these places will post with "inside information".
Again, Thank you.

Sherry

Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Wow, Nadine's on a roll today with a profound misunderstanding of what equestrian neighborhoods are all about. (not to mention the uncalled for and unfounded derrogatory assertions about all those other horse owners ...)

So, let's clarify here for her and the OP's benefit ...

Yes, some of the areas are expensive. So What?

The equestrian neighborhoods are developments targeted to folks with an interest in keeping horses on their OWN parcels, some as small as 5 acres, some much bigger than that. They keep their own horses on their own property, feed, train, and care for their own horses on their own property, too .... just like Nadine.

The development common areas between the property fences are shared for RIDING TRAILS and just plain playing around with your horse(s). Some have common trails developed to a size where a horse cart, wagon, or small carriage for driving can be safely used, or a sled in winter.

Some of the developments have stables and indoor/outdoor riding areas.

Some have based trainers and instructors, too.

The key common point is that the community by HOA reg's is horse friendly ... unlike some places I know of (like Boulder, for example) where the neighbors are too "snooty" to allow the noise, commotion, pollution, smells, insects, or risks of having horses and horse operations in their neighborhood, and have zoned them out of their areas.

I'm quite familiar with the upper crust(y) type of horse owners/trainers, too. I owned a commercial facility with a 200' x 280' indoor arena, outdoor arenas, roping pens w/chutes, spectator facilities, pens, barns, stables, on-site management housing ... and had a "world-champion" horse rider and his trainer wife try to intimidate me out of my own indoor arena when I was riding (for pleasure) my trail horse (and, incidentally ... a former top 5 nationally ranked driving, dressage, and jumper Morgan ... a lot more horse than I am rider). After getting their ration of unwarranted sh_t, I identified myself as the new facility owner and gave those folks their immediate notice to get out with their 15 horses ASAP. If I was that uncomfortable with those folks around with their attitude, then I know that the rest of my boarders were not happy, either. Life's too short for my disposable recreational dollars and time to be spent with folks like that ....
I am sorry you seem to think I was pointing a finger at you and yours personally but I went back and reread my statement. I said the word SOME not ALL. I was just warning the writer to check them out as to what type they were and the people in them. Now to clarify. Some are strictly for training & boarding. Some are for people who only show. Some are for those that enjoy trail riding and do have trails available. Some never ride anywhere but in circles in the areas. Yes and some allow you to have your horse on your own land. But again, those that call themselves horse neighborhoods are expensive. More so than just rural areas.

Yes I have shown, and dealt with show people. Some are great and others just have to try to impress with a horse they own etc., the "BARN" they are in or the facilities they have etc. Those that might not have a top trained horse but trained themselves for their own enjoyment whether they took lessons or not and those that paid out big bucks to have someone else train and they could hardly sit a saddle.

Now, I prefer to be with horse people who work to salvage the trails so all of us can enjoy the beautiful Colorado trails and keep the trails in repair for all people not just horse people. Colorado?-- no not just Colorado, it is happening in all the states and I have worked with many people in several states. In case you have not noticed. We are being locked out of them more and more. There are radicals in everything and some don't believe that people should be on the trails either not just horses.

Last edited by Nadine; 08-31-2007 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado