Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times

Advertisements

Here is my suggestion.

1. Spend night in Pueblo. Eat really good Mexican food.
2. Spend night in Salida. Check out hot springs and marvel at the beauty of the area.
3. Spend night in Leadville. Wonder where all the oxygen is.
4. Spend night in Breckenridge. Ski? Go to Ice Festival?
5. Spend night in Central City/Blackhawk. Gamble.
6. Spend night in Downtown Denver.
7. Head home via interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
I like the previous post ideas. However, if you like to drive, I would add Million Dollar Highway (US 550 roughly between Durango & Silverton) and Glenwood Canyon (I-70 immediately east of Glenwood Springs). If yore coming back from Breckenridge or Vail, possibly get off I-70 at Frisco and take US 6 to cross Loveland Pass (11990 feet) in lieu of going through the Eisenhower Tunnel. The Eisenhower Tunnel is the highest point on the interstate system and until a few years ago was the highest vehicular tunnel in the world, but Loveland Pass makes for a good photo opportunity plus you can see the cross country skiers and boarders. Why not make a trip up Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs?

If you are more familiar with hiking instead of skiing or snowboarding, there are plenty of good trails. You may need to rent snowshoes (REI is cheaper but SportsAuthority has them too) or something good for ice (Kahtoolas, yaktrax) depending on the trail.

Have fun.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
If yore coming back from Breckenridge or Vail, possibly get off I-70 at Frisco and take US 6 to cross Loveland Pass (11990 feet)
I wouldn't recommend that to them in the winter.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM

236 posts, read 479,432 times
Actually guys the suggestions have been great... I have talked with my significant other and we are most likely coming in in I70 from St Louis and then work our way the the south. On the Colorado state site I see that the front range area is dedicated all to the north mostly even though the range extends alot further down. We are planning on Pikes Peak and then south to Pueblo and out to the east via 50. We are still determining some things because we both agree on the "no-plans" plan Her Father suggested we see the flat irons? near Boulder...

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
Actually guys the suggestions have been great... I have talked with my significant other and we are most likely coming in in I70 from St Louis and then work our way the the south. On the Colorado state site I see that the front range area is dedicated all to the north mostly even though the range extends alot further down. We are planning on Pikes Peak and then south to Pueblo and out to the east via 50. We are still determining some things because we both agree on the "no-plans" plan Her Father suggested we see the flat irons? near Boulder...
I'd take I-70 all the way in. There's not much to see anyway through the great plains, and you'll get here faster. You can take I-25 south to 50 when you get here if that's what you want to do. Even on the interstates, it will take you 3 full days to get here from DC unless you drive all night, too.

The "Front Range" goes from Ft. Collins to Pueblo (roughly). Some use the name to describe the metro Denver area. Boulder is neat, but completely off track for your southerly plans, but would fit in with a trip to RMNP.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Default Sounds like your getting your plan together

Sounds like your getting your plan together. Did you get your dog his winter wear yet?

If your in the Denver area the Red Rocks Amphitheater is unique.

red rocks amphitheater - Google Search

Here is a link to a page where you can read about the trails and download a map.
http://www.redrocksonline.com/PARKAM...ingBiking.aspx

Nearby is a great close in hiking spot with spectacular scenery without a long drive.
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R16.htm

If your in great shape you can hike in from the bottom which I've done in nice weather or you can drive and start your hiking at the top. If you start your hiking at the top there are some B&B inns along the way but I've never stayed at any of them. Getting to the top is a bit tricky as you feel like your driving through a rural neighborhood. Might be nice to overnight at one of the mountain inns and feel like you are out in the wilderness. Given the time of year you may need to make advanced reservations just to be sure they are ready for guests.

When you get down south (just south and west of Pueblo) I highly recommend going to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It is open all year.
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

I've heard Zapata Falls can be excellent in the winter time. Very short but highly fun hike down a creekbed to see some falls in the summer and an ice sculpture in the winter.
http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisi...ttractions.htm

Some pics. and a description of the hike in winter.
http://trailparkreviews.blogspot.com...waterfall.html

Last edited by mic111; 01-12-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Sounds like your getting your plan together. Did you get your dog his winter wear yet?

Here is a link to a page where you can read about the trails and download a map.
Denver Red Rocks Hiking & Biking

Nearby is a great close in hiking spot with spectacular scenery without a long drive.
Mount Falcon Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

If your in great shape you can hike in from the bottom which I've done in nice weather or you can drive and start your hiking at the top.
Yes, but whatever you do: DO NOT CLIMB ON THE ROCKS!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Artifact View Post
The more I think of this the more I think a "no-plans" plan is not a very good idea. My daughter took a road trip to western Colorado with some friends last May. She was the only one from CO and apparently the only one who had any experience with mountain driving, etc. She called it "the trip from h***". The guy who was driving would not listen to any of her suggestions (now I realize this is her side of it; he may be referring to her as 'that red-headed b****'!), but the GPS took them to a road that was closed due to snow. This was May, mind you. They had to backtrack and drive to Grand Junction, then drive back to the metro area. My recommendation is to take a map as well as GPS. You never know when you're going to have to find an alternate route. (It was DD who recommended going to GJ and getting on I-70.) Make a *few* plans, anyway. Bring plenty of supplies. One thing that came up on that trip was that it would be time to eat, and the driver would decide to go on to the next town, to make a few more miles. Well, sometimes the next town with a restaurant was 2 hrs away. Be forewarned.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd take I-70 all the way in. There's not much to see anyway through the great plains, and you'll get here faster. You can take I-25 south to 50 when you get here if that's what you want to do. Even on the interstates, it will take you 3 full days to get here from DC unless you drive all night, too.
I am actually good for 14.hrs 16.hrs would be pushing it but I think I could make it to St Louis in a day even on RT50, I like to drive anyway I am using Latitude from Winchester Va it's on the 39th parallel and from Dulles Airport where the car is I would have to travel roughly 2.hrs north to catch 70W just to head back down SW to the 39th parallel near St Louis.

Quote:
The "Front Range" goes from Ft. Collins to Pueblo (roughly). Some use the name to describe the metro Denver area. Boulder is neat, but completely off track for your southerly plans, but would fit in with a trip to RMNP.
I should have been a truck driver I think... hopefully I will have enough time to see the north and south if I stay not far from the I25. It is a big state... how many hrs roughly from state line to line on I25?

Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

Denver Red Rocks Hiking & Biking

Mount Falcon Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

If your in great shape you can hike in from the bottom which I've done in nice weather or you can drive and start your hiking at the top. If you start your hiking at the top there are some B&B inns along the way but I've never stayed at any of them. Getting to the top is a bit tricky as you feel like your driving through a rural neighborhood. Might be nice to overnight at one of the mountain inns and feel like you are out in the wilderness. Given the time of year you may need to make advanced reservations just to be sure they are ready for guests.

When you get down south (just south and west of Pueblo) I highly recommend going to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It is open all year.
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

I've heard Zapata Falls can be excellent in the winter time. Very short but highly fun hike down a creekbed to see some falls in the summer and an ice sculpture in the winter.
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve - Nearby Attractions (U.S. National Park Service)

Some pics. and a description of the hike in winter.
Trail and Park Reviews: Zapata Falls, Frozen Glacial Waterfall and a walk on a frozen river.

excellent! and thank you... No I didn't get woofie her wet gear yet and thanks for the reminder. Been scrambling to batten down the hatches here before I roll out.

Laika can't stand much cold

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado