Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM

345 posts, read 914,705 times

Advertisements

I am not Anti-Gun, I am Anti-Any Idiot having one.
I love target shooting on my own propety but we are very careful.

Handing any employee a gun is not smart and accidents will happen.
Take that gun in Clint's hands and put it in the hands of someone with poor vision or health who has barely or never used one before and cannot get off the safety, or starts firing all over the store and empties the clip into who knows who.
Or a 19 yr old working the nightshift who is shaking so bad and he closes his eyes when he fires.
I would not feel safer with them being armed.
What if there had been robberies in the area and a guy in a hoodie came in and while pulling money out of his pocket the clerk freaks out and shoots him?

If the law said only the owner and/or manager can handle it, then should the clerk say " Please hang on while I get so and so who has the gun"? I am sure that would deter them.

I would arm them all with pepper spray, tazers and other non-leathal weapons, this way if they taze the wrong person, they will not have killed them.
I also like the retractable bulletproof booth they have at the gas station on 128th and Colorado. It is open all day but once it gets dark they are enclosed and much safer.

There are just too many variables, too many chances of accidents. I would feel less safe if all stores were armed and had loose rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,296,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Yeah they also didn't do a damn thing when Hitler was invading everyone around them, screw them
Sure they did...they provided a place for the Third Reich to store the booty they stole from the millions of people they murdered, much of which is still apparently in Swiss bank vaults to this day.

Yes, I agree, screw them.

@gmm_24: I don't think we need worry too much...the prospect of slopping the trial lawyers' trough with tort fodder will prevent ever seeing the day when every illiterate tattooed high-school dropout packs heat to his minimum-wage job--the average business owner isn't going to want the liability associated with armed employees except under some high-threat circumstances where it's probably needed anyway. The reality is that you don't have to arm up every all-night convenience store clerk to make a would-be robber think twice...you just need to arm-up some of them, and make the law favor those that are armed when they are forced to shoot.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,018,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post

@gmm_24: I don't think we need worry too much...the prospect of slopping the trial lawyers' trough with tort fodder will prevent ever seeing the day when every illiterate tattooed high-school dropout packs heat to his minimum-wage job--the average business owner isn't going to want the liability associated with armed employees except under some high-threat circumstances where it's probably needed anyway. The reality is that you don't have to arm up every all-night convenience store clerk to make a would-be robber think twice...you just need to arm-up some of them, and make the law favor those that are armed when they are forced to shoot.
This is exactly right. Not every business owner will choose to arm his store. Those who do would be wise to ensure that his employees have at a minimum a functional knowledge of how to use a firearm, and will equip their shops with user-friendly weapons that anyone can learn to use. These shop keepers will also know that with freedom comes responsibility and if the law is misused/abused, they are the ones who will be held accountable. Legal gun owners actually tend to be a very responsible crowd, a fact that is often ignored in an effort to paint gun rights advocates as being toothless shot-gun totin' hillbillies who shoot first, ask questions later at anything that moves.

Lastly, I agree with Bob that all it takes is a few thugs to be shot and wounded (or killed) or even just chased off and those stores which are not protected with firearms are protected by the POSSIBILITY that they are armed. And if a thug is attempting a robbery and is shot and killed over a $20 and a bottle of booze, so be it. He shouldn't have been trying to knock off the place to begin with.

Rights of the accused are for the courts. Rights of the victim are for the moment.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Yeah they also didn't do a damn thing when Hitler was invading everyone around them, screw them
Yes, Switzerland, Andorra and Lichtenstein should have formed an alliance and attacked Germany... And where were was Ireland when the chips were down? And why are we not bombing Syria right now?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 AM

236 posts, read 479,739 times
thievery is not going to go away, even if all the shops and stations are armed and required to arm themselves... What's going to happen is the would-be robbers are just going to come in blazing. In a world of "haves" and "have-not's" I do not think crime will get "better" or seem to go away... the best thing one can do is protect themselves and their family.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,449,608 times
If drugs were decriminalized, street crime would go down 75% and cartels would go away.. Sure there would be alot of people on drugs walking around but they, for the most part would be docile..I think there should be a designated area where you can go and get free drugs and kill yourself at will with the substance of your choice......

It's in the interest of Lawyers, Police, and the whole system to keep drug laws in effect so that all those employed in the system can continue to keep their high paying jobs....Court appointed lawyers to defend society's dregs can get up to $400 and hour....Not bad...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM

236 posts, read 479,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
If drugs were decriminalized, street crime would go down 75% and cartels would go away.. Sure there would be alot of people on drugs walking around but they, for the most part would be docile..I think there should be a designated area where you can go and get free drugs and kill yourself at will with the substance of your choice......
nah we're not Canada... besides you want everybody walking around all PCP'd and Smacked up?

the way Colorado and 12 other states in the union are treating weed right now is about as far as it needs to go. Weed I have always lumped in the same category as coffee anyway... Alcohol now that's a "drug" !

Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,372,748 times
CO already has the "Castle Doctrine" for our homes, there might as well be consistency with places of business.

And it's still the choice of the business owner/employee on what to use and how to engage ill-doers. Big can of bear spray might be just as good as a shotgun blast to the knees, and no foul if the latter is used under just cause.

This could also create opportunity for small businesses specializing in firearms & personal defense.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,003,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
CO already has the "Castle Doctrine" for our homes, there might as well be consistency with places of business.

And it's still the choice of the business owner/employee on what to use and how to engage ill-doers. Big can of bear spray might be just as good as a shotgun blast to the knees, and no foul if the latter is used under just cause.

This could also create opportunity for small businesses specializing in firearms & personal defense.
Any firearms instructor or people who've dealt with this in the past tell you to shoot to kill. Shooting and maiming someone or using bear mace is actually worse, because then they will sue you in our stupid system

Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,449,608 times
What you do is have a designated place for them to go....Fence it off....Let them overdose or whatever. That takes the pressure off of medicaid, courts, prisons, emergency rooms, etc.......Then, our taxes should go down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado