Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times

Advertisements

Other than during ski season, it is really not necessary to pay to park.
It's a small town, easy to walk the whole town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM

346 posts, read 482,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Best burger is Aspen for price.. Little Annies Restaurant - Aspen Dining
Yes! One of the few long time restaurants remaining. A close 2nd for great burgers : The Red Onion. Aspen's oldest saloon.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:27 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Yes! One of the few long time restaurants remaining. A close 2nd for great burgers : The Red Onion. Aspen's oldest saloon.
Ya. I love Red Onion( I agree)..it closed if I wasn't mistaken for quite a while for renovation..anyway hippest place in Aspen IMO
is Belly Up Aspen ...How I Sky Bar in the Hotel or is it closed now? Lost a girlfriend there to some LA dirtbag.

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-13-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM

97 posts, read 370,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I also recommend a drive to the top of Independence Pass for some fantastic views. The drive down the east side is really scary, so just go up and back down to Aspen.
I wonder how bad the road is for going though Independence Pass to Twin Lakes.. It is part of my plan, but now I begin to wonder..

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
That's an incredible drive. The drop offs can be scary but most of the way it's fine. Although Aspen is really well-known, it is also really small. If you are staying there, just leave your car at the hotel. You won't really need it.

As far as dining, my favorites are Jimmy's and Syzygy. There are tons of great bars: The J Bar, Escobar, the bar at the Sky Hotel, Belly Up...There's a Mexican place on Main St. that has good happy hour.

The best hotels are The Jerome, Little Nell, Sky Hotel, and Aspen Meadows. The last two usually have good deals in the summer.

Be sure to take lots of $$$. A couple of drinks and an appetizer can easily run $40-$50. An egg salad sandwich from the deli, $10 and gas is probably around $5/gallon.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Ya people keep on mentioning Syzgy used to park my car in Car next to the owner of that place in the mid 90's..he had a place in Cherry Creek..used to get comped for pretty much everything..Another place that used to exist is Creek but is still in Vail and Aspen is Campo de Fiori - Authentic Italian Dining in Aspen and Vail, Colorado not the best of the best in town but pretty damn good..just ate up there at the Vail location....mmmmmm...have not been to Aspen in quite some time..this forum is calling me back as well..used to live on Cooper St. in 92 and worked at The Hub..Enjoy your stay..I know I an jelous

Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
The Hotel Jerome is closed for renovation for the rest of this year.

Independence Pass I would not recommend for anyone that dislikes heights or is not a great driver. Some parts of the road it narrows down to less than 2 lanes as well. It closes in fall depending on the first snow fall. It's a great drive in September for the changing aspen leaves. Often the east side changes before the west side.

Parking you just need to watch you don't park in any restricted parking spaces, of which there are many in town. There is free parking in town along some streets, however it depends on how busy town is as to how available those spaces are or whether those spaces are near where you want to go if you don't want to walk much.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Hi All,

sorry for bothering again. I plan to be in Aspen on two weekdays in Sept when I know the gondolas will not be open. I wonder, besides Maroon Bells and Independence Pass, are there any other paved scenic roads in Aspen that I should drive around? Or any trails that are suitable for seniors (going with parents)? I am less interested in going to bars/restaurants..

Thanks.

Last edited by sbbi98; 09-18-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
Hi All,

I wonder, besides Maroon Bells and Independence Pass, are there any other paved scenic roads in Aspen that I should drive around?
Yes there's CO Rd 19 which gives you a good view of the valley.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
Hi All,

sorry for bothering again. I plan to be in Aspen on two weekdays in Sept when I know the gondolas will not be open. I wonder, besides Maroon Bells and Independence Pass, are there any other paved scenic roads in Aspen that I should drive around? Or any trails that are suitable for seniors (going with parents)? I am less interested in going to bars/restaurants..

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yes there's CO Rd 19 which gives you a good view of the valley.
Thanks! How is CO Rd 15 ( Castle Creek Road ). i heard it is nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado