Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This may be the weakest debate argument I've ever read. You were provided with a link to one of the most prominent medical journals in America, and your response is basically, "nah man, check google"?
Yeah man do your own research. I don't waste time with link wars and my link is bigger than your link. If people want to educate themselves, that is on them.

I grew up around the medical profession and know very talented, award winning physicians who also specialize in medical research/studies and can draw upon them for opinions. I also did my own research over the years and have known many potheads in my time. I've seen what it does to people. I also know enough about medical research that one study doesn't make a truth.

I'm not here to convince anyone. The potheads will always find a way to rationalize using cannabis, always have done and always will do. As long as it's not in my space or property or they expect me to pay for their pot or health issues, like lazy, pathetic, whining women expect me to pay for their birth control through obamacare, then smoke up.

My own opinion based on everything I have seen and know, is that I've never seen someone that looks any better short term or long term from using it. It is a drug, a refined one at that these days and it affects your brain and it's ability to function. It also impacts your physical health in many ways and degrades ones mental health over time. I've never met a pothead that is going to win "Intellectual of the Year" or one capable of safely handling machinery or other tasks beyond simple ones. A lot of them have convinced themselves drugs open up their creative channels and make them these enlightened people, but they don't seem to understand how they are really perceived by those that have to deal with their incoherent, impaired personality.

Now if you want to inhale that drug into your body and you've figured out how to rationalize it, then have at it. Just don't give me the con job like it's some harmless herbal supplement when it's a nasty carcinogen and turns your brain inside out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No it sounds like a good reason to legalize it.
This removes it from the hands of shady illegal drug dealers.

Are your cigarets laced with PCB or herion?
Well they could be if you got them off the street from your heroin dealer.
You can legalize it and it will not matter none.

There is a significant amount of illegal cigarette sales and trafficking in this country as well as sale of home grown liquor. Having both of those things legal hasn't changed that one bit. In addition there is a huge amount of prescription drug trafficking and sales that goes on as well. As we all know about, don't forget the ephedrine pills that now you've got to show your driver licence to purchase, because of their use in the production of meth.

In addition you can look at countries that have legalized prostitution and allowed brothels and yet their is still tons of street walkers and trafficking of women.

Don't believe the above? Then look it up.

Cannabis will still be sold illegally as most traders have no reason to go legal and report their income. What the potheads don't realize is government loves to tax and regulate and by putting themselves on the radar, they will have a byzantine labyrinth of regulations and taxes they will end up having to deal with and obviously many will have no reason to bother. The underground trade might go down a tad, but it will not fade away.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Maybe.

All prescription drugs, alcohol and cigs have warning labels, ingredients, content, etc so the user would know what they're consuming. The same can be done with weed.

You're better off knowing what you're consuming rather than dealing with shady dealers.
What's going to happen with weed once it gets laced with pesticides? How much will the "organically grown" batches cost?

To those arguing how safe Marijuana is, what exactly happened to Bob Marley?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No it sounds like a good reason to legalize it.
This removes it from the hands of shady illegal drug dealers.

Are your cigarets laced with PCB or herion?
Well they could be if you got them off the street from your heroin dealer.
This was exactly my point, I figured that would be clear.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Thank you for at least being honest, it will save me a lot of time I would have spent reading your posts.

For the record, like others in this thread who are for legalization, I haven't smoked pot in well over 10 years and don't intend to anytime soon. I refuse to accept pointless infrngements on others lives to make someone else feel good about themselves.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Quote:

There is a significant amount of illegal cigarette sales and trafficking in this country as well as sale of home grown liquor. Having both of those things legal hasn't changed that one bit. In addition there is a huge amount of prescription drug trafficking and sales that goes on as well. As we all know about, don't forget the ephedrine pills that now you've got to show your driver licence to purchase, because of their use in the production of meth.

In addition you can look at countries that have legalized prostitution and allowed brothels and yet their is still tons of street walkers and trafficking of women.

Cannabis will still be sold illegally as most traders have no reason to go legal and report their income. What the potheads don't realize is government loves to tax and regulate and by putting themselves on the radar, they will have a byzantine labyrinth of regulations and taxes they will end up having to deal with and obviously many will have no reason to bother. The underground trade might go down a tad, but it will not fade away.
Who said it wouldn't?

I don't disagree about the bold part but in my circle at least I've never heard anyone go illegal to get cigarettes or alcohol since you can buy it at the stores nearby. Unless they live in some dry area where alcohol is harder to get I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
You spew out the what you argue about.
You start out trying to give some facts from your layman observations.
The fact is that is not a carcinogen that turns your brain inside out.
(SALEM, Ore.) - A new study reveals that Medical Marijuana can be an effective treatment for cancer, that is the word announced by doctors in Germany who concluded that this clarification of the mechanism of cannabinoid action may help investigators to further explore their therapeutic benefit.The medical article was originally published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute Advance Access and online on December 25th 2007.

It is already known that marijuana can stimulate the appetite of patients, but researchers have learned that cannabinoids, in addition to having palliative benefits in cancer therapy, have been associated with anti-carcinogenic effects, which are responsible in preventing or delaying the development of cancer.

The major psychoactive component in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, has been shown to have anticarcinogenic activity, when injected into mice.

Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer.

it has not been causally linked with tobacco related cancers such as lung, colon or rectal cancers. Recently, Hashibe et al carried out an epidemiological analysis of marijuana smoking and cancer. A connection between marijuana smoking and lung or colorectal cancer was not observed. These conclusions are reinforced by the recent work of Tashkin and coworkers who were unable to demonstrate a cannabis smoke and lung cancer link.

Smoke from tobacco and cannabis contains many of the same carcinogens and tumor promoters . However, cannabis and tobacco have additional pharmacological activities, both receptor-dependent and independent, that result in different biological endpoints. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons found in smoke are pro-carcinogens that are converted to carcinogens by the enzymatic activity of the cytochrome P4501A1 oxidase protein (CYP1A1 gene product). Benzo [a] pyrene is converted to its carcinogenic metabolite diol epoxide, which binds to specific hyper-mutable nucleotide sequences in the K-ras oncogene and p53 tumor suppressor . Recent work by Roth et al. demonstrates that THC treatment of murine hepatoma cells caused a dose dependent increase in CYP1A1 gene transcription, while at the same time directly inhibiting the enzymatic activity of the gene product Thus, despite potentially higher levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons found in cannabis smoke compared to tobacco smoke (dependent on what part of the plant is smoked), the THC present in cannabis smoke should exert a protective effect against pro-carcinogens that require activation. In contrast, nicotine activates some CYP1A1 activities, thus potentially increasing the carcinogenic effects of tobacco smoke .

Quote:
it's a nasty carcinogen and turns your brain inside out.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What's going to happen with weed once it gets laced with pesticides? How much will the "organically grown" batches cost?

To those arguing how safe Marijuana is, what exactly happened to Bob Marley?
We're just going to have to see where this goes for the folks in CO and WA state.

As for Bob Marley, I'm not sure. Some sources cited that he had a malignant melanoma on his foot from playing soccer (which spread around his vital organs )and decide to leave it untreated.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For the record, like others in this thread who are for legalization, I haven't smoked pot in...
I don't know about you, but some of us aren't against legalization/decriminalization of mj. We are against this stupid Amendment 46 as it was passed.

If y'all want to water down the gene-pool going forward, have at it.

Hoarf paint for all I care. There's a huge legal industry and medical industry etc. Built around folks who like to selfishly go through life avoiding the Golden Rule, being vain feel-good-now selfish self-centered self-seeking individuals.

If you think there aren't folks out there looking to make a quick easy buck off this, you're delusional.

Legalization of mj is a political agenda.

Go ask a typical pothead what they really think of this amendment, as you just admitted that you aren't one.

They'll say, "Keep it illegal. It's easier to get and it's cheaper and it's better right now as it is." Then think about how narcissistic that statement really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
As for Bob Marley, I'm not sure. Some sources cited that he had a malignant melanoma on his foot from playing soccer (which spread around his vital organs )and decide to leave it untreated.
Orly?

I'd heard he died of brain cancer.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
Apples to apples pot costs is high because the grower and dealer have to take risk.
Remove the risk and the price goes down.
You can get your pot from the illegal street walker and take a risk or you can get your pot from a regulated and tested prostitute and get a safer product.

And at the ripe old age of 21 you should be able to have a choice to consume pot or to leave it alone.

If growing it was soooo easy everyone would be doing it already.
It takes time, experience,room, and some knowledge to grow the good stuff.

You can buy it from the unregulated street walker or you can buy it from a regulated source like a pot shop and know it isn't laced with embalming fluid.

Then you go off on some tangent about prescription drugs?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado