Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

*sigh*

I smoked as a teen, quit when I became pregnant (14 years ago) and never looked back. I don't care if it's legal or not, it isn't for me...because pot makes me lazy and demotivated and I don't have time for that. There is no day, ever, where I don't have to be somewhere doing something that matters.

I have friends who smoke. Some are highly functional. Some have seen harmful effects to their lives due to dependency. Some not. Some are recreational, occasional users. Most are predictable when using. They either act normal, if they're the kind who have a long term daily habit...or they act stoned. Either way, unpredictable drunk people scare me more. And regardless, I have NEVER heard ANYONE say "Well I'd love to smoke dope, but it's against the law so I won't." Even the ones talking about moving to a place where it is legal, do it illegally at least sometimes. If people want to do it, they will. If they don't, they won't. And just because it becomes legal doesn't mean a whole crop of new stoners will pop up out of nowhere.

What matters most about this amendment, is that the State of Colorado has declared that it will no longer spend State funds going after people for using it, prosecuting and imprisoning them. And that maybe if we're lucky, it will be possible in the future for the State to recognize some tax revenue from it, which is already slated to go to the schools' Capital Building fund or whatever. If the Feds want to come in and spend federal dollars going after potheads in CO, that is on them. And the users are taking that chance, I'm sure they know it. But the state won't. And I'm good with that.

I should point out that I abhor alcohol far more than weed, have never been drunk in my life, and find it absurd that as a society we somehow think it's OK to get drunk but not to get stoned. I know, I know..."we tried prohibition against alcohol and it didn't work." Well guess what? Prohibition against weed didn't either. And the only reason it was demonized and prohibited was because it threatened the revenue streams of the timber/paper/newspaper industry and peripherally Dupont. Mark my words...we'll see marijuana the intoxicant become legally available LONG before we see farmers allowed to grow industrial hemp, which doesn't get you high. Why do you think that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
In the coming weeks in months, I'm predicting people will be migrating/moving to Colorado due to the new Marijuana law. Which, may not be a good thing to the person migration here due to a law.. same way as people are drawn to Las Vegas and end up Unemployed/Homeless. Do you think this could be the same scenario in CO?
1. If the state handles this issue right.....and taxes it like cigs....or gas....or alcohol...IT WILL BE A REVENUE WINFALL for the states coffers......so I would not worry about the social issues you question.
2. If any of you transplants are interested I have a really nice home for sale in Colorado Springs

Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
People who I haven't seen or talked to in quite some time are crawling out of the woodwork and contacting me now that they've heard about Amendment 64 and asking about what it's like to live in Denver. Kind of amazing, actually, because I never would have thought that some of these people were interested in or smoked pot.

I'm fine with people doing it in the privacy of their own homes, but I see it and smell it every day, both in Downtown Denver and in my neighborhood, and I don't like it. My solution, though, is to eventually leave, rather than try to change it, since it's apparently what a majority of Coloradoans want. People aren't supposed to be smoking it in public anyway, but as I've seen in Denver, there is virtually no enforcement.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
Even before 64 if you had under an ounce it was a $100 fine.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Sonic, some good points there.
Although I was never physically addicted to weed, I did find it troublesome to stop. I also used it to try and control my alcoholism. I was sometimes successful at using weed to control the craving for booze... aka my ability to control the amount I drank once I already had booze in my body.

I had some success using weed to control the mental obsession with booze... aka the staying away from the first drink, until I realized that weed didn't take me to where booze would... not the pink room with the concrete floor... the state of consciousness that I was after. So, once stoned, I said, "What's the use anyway. I'm stoned, so I might as well just get drunk too.

But once I quit weed, I just quit. No physical suffering, just mental anguish... same as with nicotine... for me.

I never got violent on weed just for weeds' sake. But with booze, in a blackout, I became extremely social and/or extremely anti-social.

But to your friends who bake the hippie-lettuce... where do they get the stuff? Walgreens? Or do they break the law? What Mexican Federally had to get decapitated to supply that quarter ohzee?

Cowboyxjon, I used to have to work with these numbskull floor installers who smoked weed, drank too much, and abused Vicodin. At the beginning of the job, they were somewhat tolerable. Then a few days in, they were smoking, drinking, and crushing and snorting Vicodin for "pain".

Pain in the asses is what they became. Then by the time the job was done, their 500 dollar per day earnings were gone.

We'd have to fly to the next job and they were using their next food per diems to get smokes and more beer.

I remained sober through all this and had to try and babysit these stupid knuckleheads.

Don't ever hire a tradesman who smokes weed. Show me a moderate weed smoker and I'll show you a liar and a thief.

Oh... imo!

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-08-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Even before 64 if you had under an ounce it was a $100 fine.
And a boatload of humiliation.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM

113 posts, read 396,918 times
Default Hippest Marijuana Towns In Colorado???

What towns will spring up best marijuana cafes, night life, ect?

That's the best aspect about this law IMO, the freedom to socialize with other like minded folks freely

CONGRATULATIONS COLORADO ON A64!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
My first response is Boulder but to be honest given Pueblo's live and let live mentality I could see us having a a lot of places spring up as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Show me a moderate weed smoker and I'll show you a liar and a thief.
We ought not confuse weed smokers with speedfreaks or junkies.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*sigh*

I smoked as a teen, quit when I became pregnant (14 years ago) and never looked back. I don't care if it's legal or not, it isn't for me...because pot makes me lazy and demotivated and I don't have time for that. There is no day, ever, where I don't have to be somewhere doing something that matters.

I have friends who smoke. Some are highly functional. Some have seen harmful effects to their lives due to dependency. Some not. Some are recreational, occasional users. Most are predictable when using. They either act normal, if they're the kind who have a long term daily habit...or they act stoned. Either way, unpredictable drunk people scare me more. And regardless, I have NEVER heard ANYONE say "Well I'd love to smoke dope, but it's against the law so I won't." Even the ones talking about moving to a place where it is legal, do it illegally at least sometimes. If people want to do it, they will. If they don't, they won't. And just because it becomes legal doesn't mean a whole crop of new stoners will pop up out of nowhere.

What matters most about this amendment, is that the State of Colorado has declared that it will no longer spend State funds going after people for using it, prosecuting and imprisoning them. And that maybe if we're lucky, it will be possible in the future for the State to recognize some tax revenue from it, which is already slated to go to the schools' Capital Building fund or whatever. If the Feds want to come in and spend federal dollars going after potheads in CO, that is on them. And the users are taking that chance, I'm sure they know it. But the state won't. And I'm good with that.

I should point out that I abhor alcohol far more than weed, have never been drunk in my life, and find it absurd that as a society we somehow think it's OK to get drunk but not to get stoned. I know, I know..."we tried prohibition against alcohol and it didn't work." Well guess what? Prohibition against weed didn't either. And the only reason it was demonized and prohibited was because it threatened the revenue streams of the timber/paper/newspaper industry and peripherally Dupont. Mark my words...we'll see marijuana the intoxicant become legally available LONG before we see farmers allowed to grow industrial hemp, which doesn't get you high. Why do you think that is?
I think you make an excellent point here! I hope this is a step in the right direction towards growing industrial hemp. I actually make clothing with hemp fabric, which is sourced from China. I would love to one day be able to support my local textile mill that generates a strong and sustainable product. We need to end this silly prohibition once and for all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado