Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM

129 posts, read 250,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Most of that makes sense, but I seldom hear people say they do not like forests.
I grew up in Western NY. I like the forests, but they do have a problem. They are claustrophobic. You cannot see the sky, or the world around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
chessgeek wrote: Most of that makes sense, but I seldom hear people say they do not like forests.

You didn't hear it from me either. You made it up in your own mind. I never said that I don't like forests, just that I'm glad to be away from the humidity, the jungle like forests, and far away from the I-95 megalopolis.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
"What makes Colorado a great state?"

Nothing, anymore.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
I grew up in Western NY. I like the forests, but they do have a problem. They are claustrophobic. You cannot see the sky, or the world around you.
I agree. I used to go to PA for work a lot and didn't like how you can't see very far. I've spent the past 20 years either in Denver or the L.A. area where you can see far off into the distance. I prefer that to thick forest. I also couldn't stand the humidity in PA, or anywhere east of CO.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
"what makes colorado a great state?"

nothing, anymore.
+1

Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Lines on a map

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I saw a neat re-do of the U.S. by areas of influence and how the areas actually work economically and living patterns and all. I think it was called "The 13 States of America." For instance, New England was one state, with Boston as its capital. Western Mass. was assigned to the New York state, with NYC as the capital.
Many have mentioned politics or an overall culture in preferring a place. If certainly a factor, one always shifting in the whims of the day. Even within the same families of possibly long residence in Colorado, one generation may have different views from the former, perhaps little recognized by forebears maybe settling this state.

The mountains are more permanent. Unfortunately this landscape is rapidly changing due the machinations of mankind, although the rivers and much else that one might love yet remain. Other states have beautiful mountains. None have as many as high. Geographically Colorado is as an island of height in the continental United States. That certainly defines it.

As for lines on a map, those change. A good part of Colorado was once part of the Spanish territory that included Mexico. No idea what the Native Americans who have resided here for more than 13,000 years called it, although each tribe surely their own nomenclature. The Territory of New Mexico also once included portions of present day Colorado.

This is somewhat different than that referred to, in state boundaries drawn according to economic and cultural patterns. Artists Neil Freeman has drawn a hypothetical map of the United States according to population, each district with approximately 6.2 million residents. According to his system Colorado would be divided among three quite large states, geographically: Salt Lake, Shiprock, and Ogalalla. The better part of the Front Range, with the Front Range Mountains, would lie in Ogalalla. Pueblo would not, but reside in the state of Shiprock. Thus aside from the northeast plains, the better part of the state would be divided between Shiprock and Salt Lake along a north/south divide, running basically on a line of latitude just south of Colorado Springs (think, roughly US 50):

An Alternate Vision for the Fifty States | Bacon's Rebellion

All arbitrary, of course.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
1. Low humidity
2. Snow melts in 3 days
3. Reasonable cost of living
4. Relatively low crime
5. Great outdoor choices
6. People are pretty nice too.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
My skin thanks me daily for the humidity and the proximity to NYC, Philadelphia and DC cannot be beat.
Thanks for sharing Julian.

I found the proximity to those cities from Colorado to be wonderful I'm glad you're enjoying it out there though.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM

802 posts, read 984,366 times
colorado is an oasis in the west that is fraying from decades-old political decisions.
it is having some difficulties accommodating all the new people who are lured by the
mile-high mirage. but behind the mirage there is still gold in them hills and opportunity
for renewal if you look carefully.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,759 times
Others, who would prefer Colorado to be Wyoming or Idaho or even South Carolina, would disagree, but I love Colorado because it has a degree of balance I have not experienced any other place. It is not entirely skewed rural, nor urban, left, nor right. It is not entirely flat, though it has expansive plains. It has places of such extreme natural beauty they leave me almost speechless, though it takes a good deal of effort to get there. It has seasons, though typically not extreme. One need not earn $250K/year to be borderline middle class in its cities, like some states/cities, though one has to hustle and work hard to get ahead. It's less educated/successful "natives" can be bitter and typically seek to blame the ubiquitous "other" for their problems, but the vast majority of long-term residents are decent, thoughtful folks who are just a pleasure to be around. Remember the porridge from Goldilocks and the Three Bears? Well, Colorado is the porridge that is "just right." For folks who prefer their porridge colder, the borders of Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc. are always open. For those who prefer their porridge hotter, many interstates lead to places like Florida, New York, California.

I know I'm just an old sap, that we're supposed to complain all the time about everything and everyone, but I for one am grateful for every day on this earth I'm alive and living in Colorado. With my Colorado spouse and Colorado kids no less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado