Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Congrats of your move! Now we need a photo of your surroundings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Big Sky Country

Thanks for the update. Best of luck in your new home.

Montana is an interesting place, sharing some similarities with Colorado, not least with the Rocky Mountains in common. Their greatest height is here, with average elevation of the land descending as one moves north into Canada. Yet in relative perspective no less there. Even more so than Colorado most of Montana is prairie, with only the far western edge of the state in the Rocky Mountains. But anyone who has been to such places as Glacier National Park will understand how magnificent they are.

Something some Coloradoans may not fully appreciate is that we are more or less in the Southwest, particularly the southwest corner of this state. Thus all the sun and semi-arid nature. While Montana's overall climate is more like Colorado's, it shares similarities with other Northwest states. While the preponderance of rain falls west of the Cascade Mountains, the common winter cloud cover there is extended to an extent across eastern Washington state, Idaho and into Montana.

One possible attraction is that a greater degree of the Wild West survives in Montana than Colorado. One delineating factor is population. In geographic size Montana is about half again as large as Colorado. Yet with one-fifth the population. It was only in November or December 2011 that the state's population reached on million. The state is largely rural. The largest city is Billings, with but 106,954 people. The capitol, Helena, is nestled up against the flank of the Rocky Mountains. As with the capitol of Nevada, Carson City, it seems almost an afterthought, with a population of but 28,190 (2010 figures).

As with Colorado, certain environmental issues cannot be avoided. Visitors may notice that the mountain pine beetle has been active there as well. This alone presents a sad sight if driving north from Colorado through Wyoming. But what a drive it can be, especially if taking the more scenic routes. In that we are all blessed with a great deal of fantastic country.

Meanwhile, back in Ouray, it is expected that the recent large rockslide having entirely closed US 550 between Ouray and Silverton will be controlled soon. US 550 should be fully open soon, 24/7—with an improvement to alternating one-way travel past the affected area (this being south of Ouray and before Ironton Park).

Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 AM

19 posts, read 53,489 times
Sorry for not checking back here more often! You guys are awesome. And sweet to reply on my decision! I've enjoyed reading all the thoughts and opinions from the same dedicated few, throughout this decision making process. Idunn, (truth told on your Montana/Colorado assessment!), jim9251, ColoradoRambler, brightdoglover, delta07, 80skeys, are always a good read… Not to forget CosmicWizard. Especially not to forget jazzlover... Thank you again! I love living here and maybe I will post a photo sometime, jim9251. You're always good about the pics.

You can drive a back road to Glacier Nat. Park from my house. I've heard it's 17 miles and takes two glorious hours through the mountains… We'll see this summer. (If I don't get married and move to London before then, that is!) Funny how life goes isn't it. '

My best to all you guys!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Thanks for the feedback, +5. Please keep us posted and add pix later in the year.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado