Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
(It has been 20 yrs since I lived there
Somewhat unrelated but how would you compare skiing/snowboarding/snowshoeing in the Alps as compared to the Rockies, from the standpoint of the number of resorts, how crowded the lift lines are, how expensive lift tickets are, number of miles of trails/runs etc....? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Because in terms of terrain--no way..
Do they allow downhill mountain biking in the Alps?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM

219 posts, read 436,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMountainMajesties View Post
Would it be a bad idea to move to Switzerland? or would it be better to just move to Colorado? I'm in love with mountains and want to marry them. just kidding. . But seriously, Switzerland or Colorado?
What are your realistic prospects for moving to Switzerland? The best way is to get a job with a Swiss employer; then you get paid enough to meet the expenses of the higher standard of living. As others have said, US companies don't always pay a living wage for Switzerland's COL. Get back to us when you have a plan.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM

136 posts, read 459,360 times
When I lived in Alaska, I made friends with a couple from Switzerland. They loved Alaska. Visited twice. The second time they stayed for several months.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,736,438 times
Quote:
Would it be a bad idea to move to Switzerland? or would it be better to just move to Colorado? I'm in love with mountains and want to marry them. just kidding. . But seriously, Switzerland or Colorado?

This is a joke, right?
You can't be serious.

best,
toodie

Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 PM

262 posts, read 606,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Switzerland, unlike Colorado, has figured out that it is quite possible, even preferable, to have a very healthy economy and high living standards with a relatively stable population. The Swiss are quite happy to cater to tourists, but really don't want much of anybody moving into their country. That is a very intelligent strategy on their part (too bad that Colorado can't/won't emulate it).
Who are these outsiders invading your Colorado? Do the Swiss prevent other Swiss citizens from moving around Switzerland?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Do they allow downhill mountain biking in the Alps?
Yes. You can mountain bike at Zermatt right below the Matterhorn, as well as a variety of other resorts.

Mountain bike - Zermatt Matterhorn - Zermatt Tourism

Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Default Neither

Quote:
Okay, you like mountains, but maybe you would prefer not to deal with foreign languages, different customs and better health care than in the U.S--so Switzerland is out. But you don't want to live near mountains that are touristy crowded and the whole dang place is expensive--so Colorado is out.

How about this for different, even more diversity, and a much lower cost of living--- Idaho--and it doesn't have as many people in the whole state as Colorado has on the front range.

Quote:
It’s singularly odd that a state that has more national forests and wilderness areas than any other state in the U.S. besides Idaho, a state that has scores of fishable lakes and world-class whitewater rafting in the continent’s deepest gorge (namely Hells Canyon) is best known for potatoes. Idaho is an outdoor lover’s dream, with ample opportunities for camping, backpacking, mountain biking, climbing, rafting, fishing and more.
Craters of the Moon National MonumentLava Flows at Craters of the MoonThe Albion Range
Seven Devils MountainsBear LakeSchweitzer Ski Area
Idaho Mountains and Rivers

Plus, if you live in SE Idaho, say Driggs, you would be on the west side of the Tetons, close to Jackson, Wyoming (30 miles), not even THAT far from Sun Valley (161 miles).

I have nothing bad to say about Colorado other than it is expensive. I lived there twice for a total of 14 years. Switzerland I've only seen in photos, but my sister told me the mountains in Glacier National Park in Montana compare favorably to those in Switzerland (she has visited both).

Good luck on your decision whether you are still in the process of making it or on your way.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have to respectively disagree with you. Ouray is not by any ski area, does not have any 4 diamond restaurants or nice shopping. Its a nice town and has a lot to be proud of and I know they claim to be the Switzerland of the United States but personally I would classify Aspen more as its like the ski town I have been to in Switzerland much more then Ouray.
I think they are talking about geography/scenery wise. Ouray is in the mountains completely surrounded by hight peeks, similar to Switzerland. Aspen is in a large relatively flat valley.

Calling Ouray the Switzerland of the United States, is probably an overstatement. But it would be closer to the truth then Aspen I think.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
It's funny countries with the highest standards of living Switzerland and New Zealand have tough immigration policies and we are called xenophobic for wanting to send illegals back home.
Um, I believe that the net immigration rate between the US and NZ is somewhat comparable. NZ 2.26 per 1000 population vs, US 3.62 per 1000 population. NZ ranks 36 vs US 26 Both countries are considerably below other countries such as Australia or Canada rank 17 & 18, which have 2 x the net immigration rate.

Switzerland has a smaller net immigration rate. But it is still fairly substantial. 1.27 per 1000 population. Rank 48. I wouldn't classify either New Zealand or Switzerland as having particularly tougher immigration policies, then the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado