Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That is so unusual. 4 months in Denver is plenty of time for your body to adapt. Normal people coming here shouldn't get winded walking up a flight of stairs to begin with. Have you been checked for COPD?
At sea level I am so healthy, it's ridiculous.

That being said, I am not a fit person. I'm sure that had something to do with it. But I knew other people who had much the same issues. Younger, and fitter people than me.

Not everyone can adapt. That's just how it is. The number is probably very low - probably less than 10 percent, but we're out there.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell had to move from their gazillion dollar house in Aspen (or was it Vail ? ), because her mother could not adjust to the altitude.

It's not at all that uncommon to NOT be able to adjust. Especially if you are over 40.

When I went to the doctor there, he told me that it was quite common. So I think your "statistics" are a little too optimistic.

20yrsinBranson

You know what, some people can't walk out to get their mail without wheezing

Unless this guy has some significant issues with his cardiovascular system. . its a no- issue. Its a bit like saying "don't take that immunization shot, some people are allergic. . when that someone is 1 in a few million.

From what I read its simple: unless you have significant heart/lung issues, your body will adjust in days. I looked, and found no evidence of long-term altitude sickness EXCEPT for those with heart/lung issues.

Altitude Sickness

Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You know what, some people can't walk out to get their mail without wheezing

Unless this guy has some significant issues with his cardiovascular system. . its a no- issue. Its a bit like saying "don't take that immunization shot, some people are allergic. . when that someone is 1 in a few million.

From what I read its simple: unless you have significant heart/lung issues, your body will adjust in days. I looked, and found no evidence of long-term altitude sickness EXCEPT for those with heart/lung issues.

Altitude Sickness
That's absolutely the case: generally every healthy person can and does adapt to altitude. My mother a Colorado native died a few years back ironically from lung issues after staying active and never smoking a day in her life; she however considered moving to Arizona. People that are truly healthy?.. nope not buying it that some just can't adjust.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM

146 posts, read 266,432 times
Default Does EVERYBODY ALWAYS adjust to the elevation

I am curious about any knowledge you have of people that just could not adjust to living at high altitudes, say beween 6-7k.

I have severe energy issues (chronic fatigue syndrome).

Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 AM

454 posts, read 1,224,959 times
Actually it effects everyone different from what I have learned. Some people it doesn't seem to effect at all.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
No.

Some people go up there, frolic about, never notice anything, and whatever.

Some other people go up there, have their brains swell, have their lungs fill with fluid, and have to descend IMMEDIATELY or face death.

Most people exist somewhere in the middle.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Plenty of people have issues with it, even with Denver. Not only is the air thinner, but it tends to be drier than what most people experience around the USA. In addition without moisture in the air, the particulate contamination in the air can bother a lot of people. Inversions in the winter, dust-pollen-wildfire smoke in the summer.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:31 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post
I am curious about any knowledge you have of people that just could not adjust to living at high altitudes, say beween 6-7k.

I have severe energy issues (chronic fatigue syndrome).
Millions live here, how bad can it be?

Some people with allergies do better here, some don't. Air here can be dirtier due to winds and lack of vegetation to hold the soil. Not sure how altitude plays on CFD, ask your doctor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
I can only tell the OP that when I got here I had some pretty bad issues with high blood pressure, and my doctor at the time said unless you have significant underlying preexisting health issues, you will adjust. And I did, but it took months.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Nope. Do a search on altitude sickness and you will see lots of answers to your question. If you have had problems with altitude before per your other post on freezing and having to descend from Santa Fe as well as the problems in an Albuquerque parking lot I don't think you should consider moving here.

People who don't adjust move away and don't keep posting in the CO forum so the answers you get are mostly from people who have no problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado