Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 77,215 times

Advertisements

OOps~! Thats ok...I looked it up and it's on 50 so I don't think we have to drive on it.

Thanks
Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 04:10 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Monarch Pass is on U.S. Highway 50,about three hours from Grand Junction.It is one of the prettiest mountain passes in Colorado. Elevation is around 11,000 ft. There are a few switchbacks, but nothing a good driver can't handle. Keep in mind, though, that the road is only a 2 laner. The state workers have work yards in both Salida (20 miles from the summit) and Gunnison (40 miles). In a bad storm it will take them a little longer to get the snow off than, say, Interstate 70 and the Eisenhouer Tunnel, but they do one heck of a job.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Monarch Pass is on U.S. Highway 50,about three hours from Grand Junction.It is one of the prettiest mountain passes in Colorado. Elevation is around 11,000 ft. There are a few switchbacks, but nothing a good driver can't handle. Keep in mind, though, that the road is only a 2 laner. The state workers have work yards in both Salida (20 miles from the summit) and Gunnison (40 miles). In a bad storm it will take them a little longer to get the snow off than, say, Interstate 70 and the Eisenhouer Tunnel, but they do one heck of a job.
Yep, I'll take Monarch any day over the I-70 Sacrifice Zone. There just too many winter driving idiots on I-70 anymore (most from the Front Range). I remember when they built the tunnels that the propaganda was that would make winter driving on I-70 much safer. Well, it did make for about 100 times as much traffic, and I-70 seems to get closed more now by accidents than it ever did back when.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM

And I was in one of them weekend before last. A week ago last Monday I was heading back home and heard on KOA that I-70 was shut down at the tunnel. Not a lot of snow out of the storm (4 inches), but 2 inches of ice under the snow which turned the road into a skating rink very quickly. Ever wonder what happens if there is a wreck inside the tunnel? They bring the tow truck in from Silverthorne, about 20 miles west. Then they back it in to the disabled vehicle(s). Takes a long time, too.Imagine a semi tow truck backing in 2 milesto fetch a vehicle. And you are sitting outside with snow piling up. All you need to is slow down. And think.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 PM

Getting back to Vegas, one thing is very important to keep in mind;between Fruita to Green River, there are 2 gas stations on the 90 mile trek. Green River is small,maybe 800 people., but there is a mechanic.Between Green River and Salina there are 0 gas stations, or anything else except rest areas. When you get west of Green River, you'll ascend one plateau for 30 miles plus. Then you'll get on the high desert (app. 60 miles) and that is where the winter snows stack up! Utah's state workers do a great job on removal, with workyards in Green River, Salina, and Richfield. 25 miles further 70 dead-ends to 15 so there still is the possibility of snowbut not as severe. A good stop for chow is Richfield, 220 miles west of GJ. And if a storm shuts down the road, there are several chain and mom&pop motels that are ok! Don't try to beat a storm out there. Make sure your car is road worthy. Be safe.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM

63 posts, read 334,166 times
It is a nice drive ...

Not long at all ..plan on stopping in Richfield ..it is about 1/2 way

HM

Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Just moved.....don't let em scare ya.....the drive from GJ to LV is a piece of cake.....the only mountains to speak of are between Fremont Junction and Salina and again between Richfield UT and the intersection with I-15 and even then it's a fourlane freeway.....once you hit I-15 it's all downhill to Las Vegas.....[the road is twisty turny thru the Virgin River Gorge and is a little freaky at night] If you stop at the halfway point for the night, the rest of the drive is daylight. Good luck.....and bring lots of $$$$ Las Vegas loves green

Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 AM

17 posts, read 77,215 times
Hey thanks for alllll the info....I really appreciate it~!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM

In my previous post I forgot to mention about the fact that from Green River to Salina there are no services for 107 miles. I'm not trying to scare anyone; it is just common sense to keep your car road worthy when going through here. That's just common sense. No, the storms aren't like I-70 and Vail Pass but I have had the road close on me in a storm and stayed overnight in Richfield. Now for the pluses. Buy camera film! Once you start climbing 30 miles west of Green River the scenery is way cool! There are a few rest areas that have some great views. I-70 is not heavily patrolled but I-15 is. Have a great trip!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
In my previous post I forgot to mention about the fact that from Green River to Salina there are no services for 107 miles. I'm not trying to scare anyone; it is just common sense to keep your car road worthy when going through here. That's just common sense. No, the storms aren't like I-70 and Vail Pass but I have had the road close on me in a storm and stayed overnight in Richfield. Now for the pluses. Buy camera film! Once you start climbing 30 miles west of Green River the scenery is way cool! There are a few rest areas that have some great views. I-70 is not heavily patrolled but I-15 is. Have a great trip!
BUT on I 70 once coming up outa Green River I stopped to take a pic of the sunset and 4 cars stopped to offer aid......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado