Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
nitabreak wrote: I am beginning to think the whole pot scenario has been overblown.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overblown! Those who want to use it will do so regardless of it's legal status. Those who wish not to use it will do the same. That's the way it is in all 50 states.
I know it's like we are just hangin' on 16th smoking j's all day. Yes there are too many dispensaries IMO, but people conduct business and live their lives like any normal city or state. I think the 10% of CO state residents might be even be too high, no pun, on the estimate. No one I know of, does it in Parker or Castle Rock, but I am sure there are some, and frankly who cares. I treat like religion if you want to believe it's all good as long as your ten speed bible thumpers don't come to my door we be good

Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 AM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I know it's like we are just hangin' on 16th smoking j's all day. Yes there are too many dispensaries IMO, but people conduct business and live their lives like any normal city or state. I think the 10% of CO state residents might be even be too high, no pun, on the estimate. No one I know of, does it in Parker or Castle Rock, but I am sure there are some, and frankly who cares. I treat like religion if you want to believe it's all good as long as your ten speed bible thumpers don't come to my door we be good
YES I TOTALLY AGREE! I hate the smell, but if that's all I have to deal with every now and then I'm OK.

It is funny how Colorado is now best known for the new marijuana laws. I've met people when I'm traveling who always ask me, "So does everyone just walk down the street, drive, go to school while smoking joints all day?". I always tell them no it's not at all like that, but unfortunately the "Pot-Head" image is one associated with Colorado. I usually smell weed in areas of downtown Denver (primarily Auraria and LODO) and the few times I'm in Boulder every now and then (Obviously), but that's about it.

To the OP, if you're spending a lot of time in Downtown Denver or on College campuses you will smell marijuana, but anywhere else it won't be an issue. Colorado Springs is definitely the most anti-pot city in Colorado, it's pretty much a non-existent issue there. Even the college campuses in the Springs lack the marijuana smell.

Unfortunately the "Driving while Stoned" laws are very hard to enforce as marijuana is very different than alcohol in how it affects someone, but in the last two years I have only smelled pot coming from cars on the road twice.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Maybe I just notice it more, but I don't use the A/C in my car so my windows are always down. This means...

I smell pot every time I travel on Broadway, mostly between Belleview Ave (Englewood) and Mississippi Ave (Denver). There are many dispensaries in that area and I think that people just can't wait to get home to take their "pain medication."

Same for Colfax Ave.

Additionally, I can point to several instances in which I smelled pot, and I looked over to see someone in a nearby car lighting up their pipe. I also have noticed an increase in the number of people who are using hash pens/e-cigarettes/portable vaporizers which means either people have decided to replace their cigarettes or they are vaporizing hash oil. I tend to think it is the latter.

Unfortunately it is here to stay, and Colorado is going to bear the brunt of issues that need to be hashed out (no pun intended). I think it is going to be a lot like TABOR - a good idea that was poorly implemented which led to big problems that can't be easily solved because it is enshrined in the Constitution.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
For those of you who LIKE the smell of mj burning, take a trip to Nevada City - CA. You can absorb enough smoke to get stoned while taking a leak in the public restroom.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM

20 posts, read 117,992 times
beezle1, you really nailed it. The one place I smelled it WAS Manitou Springs, BUT Manitou Springs is also a neat place to visit so I guess people going into MS should just already know what to expect. Colorado Springs and Boulder were my favorites I guess. I was born too late to be a real hippie, but must have "Hippie genes" from somewhere; Just don't need substances to get high. If you live in the right parts of CO, seems some people could get high just from looking at the scenery.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
People smoke pot all over this country. (including some of our elected officials)

Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 PM

473 posts, read 849,239 times
Apparently people are starting to think of Colorado as they used to think of Amsterdam. Everyone equates Amsterdam as being a mecca of drugs, sex, and random vice; when in reality it's constrained to one small neighborhood (the Red Light District) which is a tiny tourist area of a beautiful major city full of art, parks, culture, and history.

Some people smoke pot, you make catch a whiff on occasion. You might also smell tons of people chain smoking at the light rail stations, or the pungent aroma of McDonald's at 7am while walking to work. I don't like either of those, but I don't see either changing anytime soon, so I adapt and manage.

So no, the entire state is not that of a Cheech and Chong movie. There isn't an area with a heavy population of marijuana users, except perhaps college towns like Boulder/Fort Collins. But even that's contained to specific neighborhoods, and it's most likely just more VISIBLE. A seemingly conservative area will have a those that partake too, just probably more discreet about it - like adults who socially drink at home versus big college parties.

Also, if you have high school kids they're already in a demographic of potential users, it just won't be visible.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitabreak View Post
We are not pot smokers and are pretty conservative. SO...Which towns would be least likely to have a lot of pot smokers?
HINT: Pot laws have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not people actually smoke pot. Availability is a factor, but it's already widely available almost everywhere - legally or otherwise.

That said, COS has a more conservative voting population, so that may be of interest to you.

Note: I didn't say that it's a better/worse place due to being more conservative, because that's a non-issue to me. I know plenty of annoying liberals and conservatives.. and plenty of nice ones too. I also didn't say that it actually is a very conservative place, like many people think. I only sad that that has relatively high % of people who actually vote conservatively compared to many other parts of the state, which it does.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Everyone equates Amsterdam as being a mecca of drugs, sex, and random vice; when in reality it's constrained to one small neighborhood (the Red Light District) which is a tiny tourist area of a beautiful major city full of art, parks, culture, and history.
That's not entirely true. The red light district is zoned for legal prostitution, and the open sale of marijuana is allowed in many other parts of the city, inside certain businesses. There are other distrcits where harder drugs are either legal or highly tolerated. But JamesDenver had the spirit of it it right... The fact that it was all zoned and confined to certain places males for a much cleaner, nicer city overall. Some of the places are pretty seedy (redlight) or downright scary (heroin st), but by avoiding the zones that allow activities that bother you, you won't have to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
You might also smell tons of people chain smoking at the light rail stations, or the pungent aroma of McDonald's at 7am while walking to work. I don't like either of those, but I don't see either changing anytime soon, so I adapt and manage.
True. The guy smoking a big stogie at concert in the park, 10 feet away from my toddlers, is way more disturbing and bothersome than some weed smoke (which smells way better, IMO) lightly wafting across the street from the neighbor's basement.

@ JamesDenver: No offense meant by quoting out your post here. I just though it contained some good insight and was a good catalyst for some further thoughts of my own.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 PM

473 posts, read 849,239 times
No offense taken of course. I referenced Amsterdam because of the stereotype. Yes there are cafes (pot shops) in regular neighborhoods (like the dispensaries here) but in general, for years, Americans think Amsterdam=pot and nothing else. It's always been a dumb stereotype and now the same questions get asked about the entire state of Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado