Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:22 PM

802 posts, read 984,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This site allows no advertising. Here we can discuss many things about the topic of MJ / MMJ but we cannot let people advertise any sort of MJ business, nor can we allow this site to become the MJ Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau. That's for other sites to do; IIRC there is a local trade group of MMJ dealers who can easily perform such a function.

The local Indy paper has a CannaBiz column and tons of ads; the paper can be read on line for free. They have a place for reader comments but I've no idea how much discussion they would allow on the topic.
on second thought, it might be worth further discussion about using City-Data Forums within some policy constraints or relaxing the constraints. after all, it is already used as a kind of Colorado Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau and there are many threads related to specific businesses (restaurants, coffee shops, ski resorts, etc.). Several of the General Forums are potentially relevant (Food, Entertainment, Hobbies, Travel, etc.). Even the Social Groups and Blogs could work out. legal cannabis interest is likely to boom across the country and globe in the coming years. It just happens to be focused on CO and WA these days. City-Data will not be immune to that legitimate interest.

Meanwhile, Colorado Public TV is showing some terrific hippy-style music shows over and over during its pledge drives. Pink Floyd and Beatles tribute shows, along with John Sebastian's folk music footage - well worth tuning in for those of us lucky enough to be within broadcast range.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 12-01-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 AM

75 posts, read 177,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I wonder if the OP ever found a place to live?
Yeah screw all this other mumbo jumbo.. Where did he move to cuz here I come! with all my money!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:40 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I would say that assuming jobs and schools and such are no issue to worry about...

If you were young-ish I'd say maybe Boulder area?

An older hippie kind of person might be comfortable in or near Manitou Springs. There is one rec. shop up there now. Prices however are still pretty high with the tax and all.

I get a "still undecided" feel about Colorado Springs. There are no rec shops in CoS but many MMJ shops. People I know grow their own, and there is trade in that. I know a number of people who have friendships that seem to revolve around it. But in the larger political scope, I think the leadership of the city has a tough time of it...they might appreciate the tax revenue, but they've got to deal with the disapproval of not only a number of conservatives, but even more strongly, the military bases' leadership. And this city's economy is very dependent upon the military. So...yeah.

And I've heard mixed things about Pueblo. They were among the first to have rec shops opening up, but I heard at least one got closed down because of some violation of the many restraints on the industry, and there have been questions about water rights for grow operations.

I don't know about everywhere else. There are definitely still some towns that are hardcore holdouts and want nothing to do with legal weed. As well as some that are probably much more laid back about it. But its future is not yet secure...things are still kind of experimental, and the political winds could always change direction. I'd hate for anyone to uproot their life for it, only to have new elected officials take over sometime and stomp on all of this progress, putting it right back where it was...and at that point, you'd have a bunch of people who have gone and registered themselves in some ways or otherwise provided the perfect stack of personal info to get busted. I'm not a very risk tolerant person, and I see the whole thing as still potentially risky. Proceed with caution.

I do have my fingers crossed that overall, we'll see a day in the not too distant future where it will get de-scheduled federally, and more states will jump on board and decriminalize. But we aren't there yet.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM

463 posts, read 320,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'd hate for anyone to uproot their life for it, only to have new elected officials take over sometime and stomp on all of this progress, putting it right back where it was
I'm thinking the chances of that are low, and even if it did happen those same elected officials would get voted out when the next elections came around.

As far as busting individual users these days, that seems to have lost its political correctness. So in my mind the worst case scenario is that progress gets stomped on and halted temporarily, and while it's halted the busts go back to what they were before (only major sellers or large grow operations).

And that's a really worst case scenario. No way are they going to re-criminalize medicinal cannabis.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
I'm thinking the chances of that are low, and even if it did happen those same elected officials would get voted out when the next elections came around.

As far as busting individual users these days, that seems to have lost its political correctness. So in my mind the worst case scenario is that progress gets stomped on and halted temporarily, and while it's halted the busts go back to what they were before (only major sellers or large grow operations).

And that's a really worst case scenario. No way are they going to re-criminalize medicinal cannabis.
*nods* Like I said...fingers crossed.

I guess when it comes to a decision to uproot and move to another state though, that's a big deal for someone like me, and I'm always wanting people to really think it through. I don't feel like there is 100% certainty that Colorado will continue to be a toker's haven...there's at least some risk of things changing...and it would suck if that was a person's only reason to come here and it got pulled out from under 'em.

Of course I'm a bit critical of one's desire to come here just for that one reason alone, especially if they're not realistically figuring out all the details in advance. And part of me wishes people would just put as much energy into reforming the laws in their own states. Realize...whether or not you think you're outnumbered as a legalization supporter in some particular state, when you leave, you're taking one more person away from that side of the fight in that state. You know...?

We won't have REALLY won, until it gets Federally de-scheduled.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:08 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Please use common sense. Here are the eight conditions under which the Feds will not shut down the marijuana industry:

• Preventing distribution to minors;
• Preventing revenue from marijuana sales from going to criminal enterprises, gangs, and cartels;
• Preventing diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal to other states;
• Preventing state-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;
• Preventing violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana
• Preventing drugged driving and the exacerbation of other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use;
• Preventing the growing of marijuana on public lands and the attendant public safety and environmental dangers posed by marijuana production on public lands;
• Preventing marijuana possession on federal property.

Let's say you are the most upstanding, law-abiding pot seller in Colorado. How on earth can you comply with these eight points? You have no control over 1,3,6 and 8. None.

Ask yourself why the DOJ would include those as conditions for allowing "legal" use of marijuana?

By January 1, 2015, there will be no "legal" marijuana being sold anywhere in the US, medicinal or recreational.

Obama and Holder's handlers won't allow it.

Buy it while you can, because it is not going to last long.
Fail.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 AM

OK, so because it's fun and interesting, lets have some predictions on changes we will see or not see, in the next year.

I predict that at least a few more states will legalize medical AND recreational weed by 1/1/16.

I predict that the Federal government will waffle on the matter for a while, but will de-schedule it at least on the grounds that it may have a medicinal purpose, within the next 2 years.

And I predict that some very big corporate interests will find ways to profit from it in a similar timeframe if not sooner. Regulations may spring up that make it legal to buy in pill form, or from pharmacies, or from licensed and taxed dispensaries, or some such...but more regulations will spring up to attempt to dissuade regular folks from growing their own. (Because really that's the crux...big biz could make money off of it, but they've got to stop small biz from effectively competing in the market.)

And within the next 5 years, we will see (I hope) industrial hemp taking off, as big biz finds ways to tap that as a revenue source. Much will be made of the eco-bennies of hemp, while Monsanto will GMO it to the moon and back. But hey...better even the Weird Science edition of hemp, than the petro-plastic-textile monster we now have to deal with...

Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Down here in SW Colorado, the towns of Cortez, Durango, & Pagosa Springs all have both MMJ & Recreational. Cortez recreational isn't open yet but he has his license & expects to be in another two weeks. Durango has 8 MMJ dispensaries & 4 recreational stores now. No shortage of choices here.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Sonic_Spork wrote: (Because really that's the crux...big biz could make money off of it, but they've got to stop small biz from effectively competing in the market.)

As with most other popular businesses, that^^^ is the most likely scenario.

Remember internet access as an example. Just a few short years ago there were several very affordable small scale ISPs to choose from. Now, the BIG boys have monopolized the internet access cash cow, and prices have skyrocketed. Same thing is likely to happen with MJ. Enjoy the mom and pop atmosphere while it's here. Prices might seem steep today, but 5 years from now we'll be looking back at the good ole days of 2015 when pot was so cheap.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-18-2015 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

242 posts, read 413,319 times
Interesting thread. Like others, I wonder if the OP ever made her way out here.

Gonna be interesting to see where this all goes. My fear is that the State will soon try to nix the individual right to grow...much as they have stopped supporting "extended counts" on the medical side of this equation.

As far as rescheduling....taking it to Schedule 2 will only intensify the Gov't hold. At that point you not only get popped for the weed you also get popped for not having a SCRIPT to legally possess the weed. What truly needs to happen is that it is taken OFF the list altogether...like alcohol. Fat chance on anyone being THAT smart in Gov't though....

Prices will remain high/reflect Black Market levels and more as long as RETAIL weed exists. Legalize for all and end retail sales and the price will plummet behind the scenes to a point where only a select few will try to profit from it (think moonshine). Keep it regulated...and keep the $$$ in it. Easy stuff if you are paying attention. (sadly, the Gov't has no clue)

be safe all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado