Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,922 times

Advertisements

Lots of smaller towns along the front range, although it feels as if they are all coalescing into one big metropolis. So maybe first to decide if you want to be near the mountains or in them?

If within, I can't think of anything of even 8,000 populace in size. Maybe, but in aggregate there certainly are. Actually, Durango would, although not exactly in the mountains. Otherwise the towns of Summit County, such as Frisco, would exceed 8,000 in total. Particularly if you factor in the tourists.

In amenities, shopping, relative ease to Denver, etc., you'd be hard pressed to do better than somewhere in southern Summit County. High academic standards as well. Super duper skiing and recreation also. The one caveat would be high real estate costs and how you actually intend to live there.

But of course they need teachers, so you can probably figure something out. As with more than a few others, due costs, your residence might end up in a town such as Leadville. But it has a rustic, small town feel.

Chances are you'd probably find it easier to live and work in one of the larger towns along the front range. But do you want to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
Quote:
The Front Range is not actually Colorado, but you can almost see it from there.
Rats! Now I live in Kansas

Quote:
I am looking for a town with the small town atmosphere but still has all the amenities of a larger town. I have heard great things about Boulder, but I think it might be too large and too expensive.I would like a town that is at least 8,000, but no more than 50,000 people. Location can vary, as long as there are mountains
Try Woodland Park. It's a beautiful town west of Colorado Springs in the mountains. It just got a new Wal-Mart and cost of living is still practical. It's about a 20 minute drive to COS for large town amenities.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:20 PM

51 posts, read 243,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
It just got a new Wal-Mart
That is definitely the clincher, a new Wal Mart.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorhyne View Post
That is definitely the clincher, a new Wal Mart.
They almost always have what you need.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
They almost always have what you need.
If you need cheap plastic crap and no local economy.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
The last I checked, they employed locals. Every retailer imports a lot of stuff from China.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 52,278 times
I think you should check out Castle Rock. It was voted by Family Circle as the number ONE place to live in the nation. It is part of the Douglas County education system which is fantastic. Lots of brand new schools. I am a Realtor in both California and Colorado. Castle Rock has the small town homey feel. It's located halfway between Denver and Colorado Springs.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

Durango... although not exactly in the mountains.
?
So, you haven't been to Durango, then?

Durango Colorado Realty with Prudential Triple S (http://www.prudentialtriples.com/regional-information/durango.php - broken link)

Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
Quote:
That is definitely the clincher, a new Wal Mart
I only said that to give an idea of the size of Woodland Park. Nothing else was implied.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,922 times
Wink By what measure?

Quote:
So, you haven't been to Durango, then?
Yes, I have. And of course it depends on one's definition. While there are certainly mountains near Durango, and the town nestled within hills, I'd say, to the north, the real mountains do not begin until past Hermosa. So by that definition Durango about as much in the mountains as Boulder.

As for being in the mountains, Silverton would be the dictionary definition.

But mileage varies, and by some measures Durango enough in the mountains for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado