Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times

Advertisements

Awful day today. And in the middle of this mine incident, an avalanche occurred on Red Mountain, a fire in Ridgway and a death in Ouray. Needless to say all Ouray County emergency personnel were very busy!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Ouray County, Colorado 3:00 pm
At approximately 7:20 am this morning, the Ouray County sheriff received a call from 911 dispatch that there was an incident at the Revenue Virginius mine requiring response. The Sheriff’s office, along with Ouray Fire District, and Ouray County EMS responded. At this time, we can report that 20 people were taken to various hospitals in the region. We do not have any updated information about the condition of those 20 miners, nor identities of those miners, but some have been treated and released. A rescue was initiated for two miners who remained underground. Unfortunately, they have both been confirmed as fatalities at the site by the County Coroner. Their identities have not been confirmed pending notification of family members. Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) is involved and on-site.
As we have additional information, we will provide updates. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of all those who were involved in this tragic accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Watch Newspapers - Two Dead 20 Hospitalized in Mine Accident

Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Sad news indeed. I didn't realize there were still active silver mines in the region. I have a friend whose ex-husband is a coal miner in the Hotchkiss area. Mining is a very tough career. I'm sure the small community of Ouray and Ridgway have been deeply impacted. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Mining IS a tough way to make a living. On one of my umpteen construction assignments I worked for a few months on the construction/maintenance end at the Henderson West Tunnel east of Silverthorne (1974). Got to know a lot of the miners. They're a hardy bunch.

Most people consider Ouray as another tourist area. People haved mined in SW Colorado for eons. I have a good friend in Ridgway who lives just outside of town who knows a few of the miners down there. Talked to him this morning. As expected the community has been dealt a huge blow here.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
MSHA is about to have a field day..... small mine, small company, likely limited mining experience at the managerial level.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Awful day today. And in the middle of this mine incident, an avalanche occurred on Red Mountain, a fire in Ridgway and a death in Ouray. Needless to say all Ouray County emergency personnel were very busy!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Ouray County, Colorado 3:00 pm
At approximately 7:20 am this morning, the Ouray County sheriff received a call from 911 dispatch that there was an incident at the Revenue Virginius mine requiring response. The Sheriff’s office, along with Ouray Fire District, and Ouray County EMS responded. At this time, we can report that 20 people were taken to various hospitals in the region. We do not have any updated information about the condition of those 20 miners, nor identities of those miners, but some have been treated and released. A rescue was initiated for two miners who remained underground. Unfortunately, they have both been confirmed as fatalities at the site by the County Coroner. Their identities have not been confirmed pending notification of family members. Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) is involved and on-site.
As we have additional information, we will provide updates. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of all those who were involved in this tragic accident.
Thanks for the info, I didn't have an idea about this.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM

There will be a candle light memorial in Ouray this Saturday evening at 4:30pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado