Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite bordering state of Colorado.
Wyoming 12 22.22%
Nebraska 3 5.56%
Kansas 5 9.26%
Oklahoma 4 7.41%
New Mexico 20 37.04%
Utah 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,961,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
Somebody told me once that the area around Lawrence, Kansas is scenic and the people are nice. One of these years when I travel back east I will spend a day or two in that part of Kansas.
It IS pretty and interesting - something of a hidden gem of the Midwest. Of course it's a low-key type of pretty compared to what we are used to in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM

812 posts, read 1,472,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Paradise lost.
True for you, which is sad but probably inevitable given your attitude/perspective.

On the other hand, every time I get up to one of the hundreds of still utterly pristine high alpine lakes (6-8 times a year) with my mix of Colorado "native" and "non-native" friends (who all get along - most of the "natives" have a non-native spouse and most of the "non-natives" have a native spouse, and nobody particularly cares where you were born or how rich or poor you were), we're invariably the only people within miles, enjoying our friendship and the spectacular undeveloped beauty, I can't help but feel I've found a paradise as real as anything on a Hawaiian postcard, actually it feels a lot more real than a tropical paradise 'cause the water's vastly more invigorating.

Unless you're Arapahoe or Ute - and I don't think you are - then you and your parents/grandparents are no less responsible for the "paradise lost" falacy which I'm sure feels so good to constantly peddle with that self-satisfied air of hypocritical superiority. Dozens of roads lead into and out of every state, and we Americans are free to use them either direction we please. Good for you for taking advantage of the same freedom of choice every citizen equally enjoys.

As to the original topic, the only road leading away from Colorado I ever get excited about is the one leading to Northern New Mexico, but only for a week or two at a time.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,377,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
True for you, which is sad but probably inevitable given your attitude/perspective.

On the other hand, every time I get up to one of the hundreds of still utterly pristine high alpine lakes (6-8 times a year) with my mix of Colorado "native" and "non-native" friends (who all get along - most of the "natives" have a non-native spouse and most of the "non-natives" have a native spouse, and nobody particularly cares where you were born or how rich or poor you were), we're invariably the only people within miles, enjoying our friendship and the spectacular undeveloped beauty, I can't help but feel I've found a paradise as real as anything on a Hawaiian postcard, actually it feels a lot more real than a tropical paradise 'cause the water's vastly more invigorating.

Unless you're Arapahoe or Ute - and I don't think you are - then you and your parents/grandparents are no less responsible for the "paradise lost" falacy which I'm sure feels so good to constantly peddle with that self-satisfied air of hypocritical superiority. Dozens of roads lead into and out of every state, and we Americans are free to use them either direction we please. Good for you for taking advantage of the same freedom of choice every citizen equally enjoys.
Your points are all correct and valid smdensbc, but you'e sort of wasting your words. "Hypocritical superiority" seems to be a way of life for some people, and the more clear your reasoning is the more stubborn they get… not mentioning any names of course.

Colorado and all surrounding states have changed greatly over the pas decades. Some have been a little slower to be affected because they're seen as less "desirable" by adventure-seeking masses, but change is inevitable and if you try to fight it or get yourself all worked up about it you just come off as crotchety at best, outright bigoted at worst.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 PM

10,760 posts, read 23,870,173 times
For what its worth, many New Mexicans have a favorable view of Colorado
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...-you-feel.html

Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 605,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I've hiked around Lake of the Clouds and Comanche Lake/Peak, which is still some of the best hiking I've ever done in the state, and I've done a lot of it. It didn't hurt that it was about 70° ad windless at well over 13k on those days. I've also been to Yankee Boy Basin in September and thought it was really wasn't that impressed with it… but maybe I was just put off by all the off-roaders, even after peak season. Hard to say though, it's never fair comparing a motorized trip compared to a foot-powered one.
If you can get up there about dawn during the peak of wildflower season it is very pleasant. I've never had a vehicle that could quite make it all the way so I have to hike a little ways.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:47 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,356,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Do you have a favorable or unfavorable view about Colorado's neighboring states? Which neighboring state do you like the most? Do you ever take vacations excursions or purposeful visits to bordering states of Colorado? Given all the bordering states are quite different than Colorado itself, discuss your opinions on the state and what comes to mind.
All unfavourable. We've vacationed in California quite a bit, a beautiful state. Would love to explore Oregon. Next trip will probably be to British Columbia in the summer.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
Of all the states mentioned, my vote goes to New Mexico for several reasons, one being I was lived in different towns there while on a pipeline project. Several towns appeal to me as far as relocation goes but like Jazzlover said earlier, lots of poverty in the Land Of Enchantment. The lack of jobs has been a problem basically for decades.

I have close to two dozen friends scattered from Farmington to Albuquerque to Edgewood to Roswell. And those people all moved there for retirement after that project was over in 1983.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Of all the states mentioned, my vote goes to New Mexico for several reasons, one being I was lived in different towns there while on a pipeline project. Several towns appeal to me as far as relocation goes but like Jazzlover said earlier, lots of poverty in the Land Of Enchantment. The lack of jobs has been a problem basically for decades.

I have close to two dozen friends scattered from Farmington to Albuquerque to Edgewood to Roswell. And those people all moved there for retirement after that project was over in 1983.
Really Farmington ABQ is nice, wish I could make it to the Luminara this year.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Really Farmington ABQ is nice, wish I could make it to the Luminara this year.
He's originally from Shiprock. Relatives still live there. He was on the clean up crew when I worked with him in '82-83. He works for Halliburton as a diesel mechanic. Yes, he's Navajo. And a Bronco fan!

Speaking of which, I go to four games a year and there are lots of New Mexico folks who come in for games. There are a group particularly noteworthy among friends of Tim McKernan, who was known as Barrelman. I knew him myself, I miss the guy! Anyhoo, one guy lives in Albuquerque and picks up two guys in Raton and two guys in Pueblo. They come in an old 1977 Cadillac Fleetwood limo painted orange and blue. Yes, these guys go back a few decades! There's a sort of club amongst the hard core crazies who Barrelman hung with. The guy who drives the limo for that 1000 mile round trip is known as limo man. The guys from Raton worked for New Mexico Dept. of Highways and regarding going to the games they go back to the days of Lou Saban! Another one (Jay-also known as "Hatman" as he wears a huge derby) has the best tailgate party going! I've known these guys for a couple decades.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-07-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
He's originally from Shiprock. Relatives still live there. He was on the clean up crew when I worked with him in '82-83. He works for Halliburton as a diesel mechanic. Yes, he's Navajo.
Sure makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado