Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 AM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times

Advertisements

Official off-road motorized areas are not that common, probably will become more common. Unofficial use seems fairly common. Riders know more about enforcement activity than I do, but I assume it varies greatly.

Rampart Range is the only large scale motorized use area I can recall venturing into. There it is motorized first and i do doubt that many hikers would venture into the thick of that activity. I did not have great maps or info to find the quieter, more hiker friendly parts of that area but hope they exist.

Toyman, you should check out Rampart Range. You might love it or you might find it too developed and hectic after Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Just as an aside, much of Rampart Range road outside Colorado Springs does not qualify as a "back country" by a long shot. Roads from the nearby city park system funnel into it and the area is generally regarded as a place where teenagers can go raise hell. It is even patroled in parts by the CSPD. You'll get a better back country vibe on Academy Blvd.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I did not have great maps or info to find the quieter, more hiker friendly parts of that area but hope they exist.
You could check out the Buffalo Creek area. It's part of the Colorado trail and very popular with MTBs & hikers.

Rampart is considered an accident waiting to happen. Lots of dirt bikers won't ride there in peak season due to the a$$ hat behaviors of a minority of users.

Last edited by Colorado^; 07-08-2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Speaking of which, in my experience most motorcyclists do not abide by the rules of common civility, or even the law (oft not enforced), in using inordinately loud mufflers. Therefore inflicting this needless racket on all everywhere they go, no less than as a public nuisance and pestilence.
It's the want-a-be bad ass bikers on Harley Davidson (street riding) that go for the loud pipes.

The vast majority of dirt bikers encourage the use of quite(er) pipes. Show up to a group ride with a loud silencer (or one that needs re-packing) and that will be the last time you ride with that group. No one wants their riding areas shut down!!

Just yesterday I installed an aftermarket silencer ($325) on my wife's bike, disguarding the brand new one on her CRF. It's sole purpose is to make the bike quieter without impacting performance.

I'll also be repacking my silencer in the next 10 hours. They need re-doing every 40 hours.

Please don't judge an entire user group by a few bad apples

Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Thanks for the recommendation of Buffalo Creek. I'll check into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado