Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Arts/music scene describes Santa Fe and Taos, NM. Housing for under 120K? Only if you live outside of town a ways, and drive in. But I can't say for sure. Check real estate listings. If you only need a small place, you might find something. Or a condo, maybe. Temps get into the mid 90's in the summers, but in August, the summer rains cool things off a little. Anywhere else in NM will be much warmer than that. The Vet Admin is building a big new treatment ctr. here, if that's relevant to you.
206 Siler Rd # 4, Taos, NM 87571 is For Sale - Zillow

Try Durango, CO, a university town with a nice museum. It's in the foothills of the mountains, so it's probably cooler than other parts of SW CO.
The housing prices in Durango are pretty high now (definitely higher than in Ft. Collins). You might look at Cortez or Montrose if you are interested in SW Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
A tip to mtnsinger---

As the title of this thread is "Good retirement towns in Co/NM, post a thread in the New Mexico forum. I've put a few hundred thousand miles down in my day in New Mexico and I have a couple suggestions that I think can help here. Plus you'll be able to reach the New Mexico posters opinions on what you're looking for!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Rurally reasonable

Rural living is not necessarily expensive (if relatively so compared to some other states). If certainly so within Colorado in any area that tourists favor. Take a look at some of the small towns in the San Luis Valley, wherein it is entirely possible to buy a single family home for less than $120,000. Even within the town of South Fork, although prices higher there due its desirability and nearby recreation opportunities.

Some downsides are the possible distances involved to services. Most all the towns have some sort of grocery, and in cases fairly good ones for what they are. But to Monte Vista for a Safeway, and to Alamosa for Walmart and most of the major services in the valley. Beyond that a long drive to Santa Fe or Albuquerque, NM, or to Colorado Springs or Denver.

As health care often a concern, that is somewhat limited, too. There may be a few clinics here and there, and a smaller hospital in Del Norte. Alamosa would have the best hospital services. If that wouldn't suffice, then maybe pick up some groceries while on the long drive to ABQ, etc.

Best to do a serious recon on any area considered, as they tend to have different characteristics. The most artistic town I know of in the SLV is Crestone, but it small and remote. Winters are also cold in that valley.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,915 times
As Jazzlover and Lurtsman have pointed out; it appears that the rural living is out. Thank you Double H for your suggestion about adding a thread under the NM branch. At this point I am feeling a bit overwhelmed both from what info I am getting here and the.... flack/suggestions I am getting at home LOL.
I am new to this forum and wonder if there is a way to make it so I don't impose any more but still have access to go back and look at all the great insights and suggestions that are here? I figure after things have settled down here a bit I can better asses what my options are and what areas I need to focus on. I will look further into all the places you have all mentioned as well

I was really unprepared for the reaction I got from those I know around here and have promised to try once more to figure out a way to stay. If that doesn't pan out in the next few months I will be back here trying to find what will. Thank you all again for your time; thoughtfulness and words of wisdom.
Diana

Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsinger View Post
As Jazzlover and Lurtsman have pointed out; it appears that the rural living is out. Thank you Double H for your suggestion about adding a thread under the NM branch. At this point I am feeling a bit overwhelmed both from what info I am getting here and the.... flack/suggestions I am getting at home LOL.
I am new to this forum and wonder if there is a way to make it so I don't impose any more but still have access to go back and look at all the great insights and suggestions that are here? I figure after things have settled down here a bit I can better asses what my options are and what areas I need to focus on. I will look further into all the places you have all mentioned as well

I was really unprepared for the reaction I got from those I know around here and have promised to try once more to figure out a way to stay. If that doesn't pan out in the next few months I will be back here trying to find what will. Thank you all again for your time; thoughtfulness and words of wisdom.
Diana
Take everything you read here (including this) with a grain of salt.

Now, I don't want Jazz to take this as a slight, because I absolutely love many of his posts, but in the almost 8 years I've been posting here, I cannot recall a single instance where he has recommended somebody actually move to Colorado. His suggestions are highly peppered with a "anywhere but Colorado" stance, whatever anybody's reasons are for wanting to move here.

I recently spent a weekend in the Trinidad area, and had a fabulous time. I didn't encounter anything resembling a gang member or activity (I come from a heavily ganged area in Southern California, originally). Small towns can be cliquish, but once you're in, you're in. Trinidad even has a weird slogan along the lines of "Trinidad Loves Company". Trinidad has some sort of hospital, and Pueblo is an hour or so away (not the end of the world, I once lived over 2 hours from a major hospital).

Trinidad's winters should be no more prolonged or dangerous than Denver's (where millions live) are, save for you needing to drive Raton Pass every day (you won't).

However, if you want Colorado, and feel you need fairly constant access to a bigger city, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Grand Junction (or nearby) would be the places to start. You only have to watch yourself in certain parts of those cities, and the local residents on the forum would be able to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by Count David; 09-30-2014 at 12:34 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
I must give props to David as well for another informed and accurate assessment.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 8,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I recently spent a weekend in the Trinidad area, and had a fabulous time. I didn't encounter anything resembling a gang member or activity (I come from a heavily ganged area in Southern California, originally). Small towns can be cliquish, but once you're in, you're in. Trinidad even has a weird slogan along the lines of "Trinidad Loves Company". Trinidad has some sort of hospital, and Pueblo is an hour or so away (not the end of the world, I once lived over 2 hours from a major hospital).
Thank you so much David. I am actually a CO native raised in Boulder and currently live in Loveland. I have been getting a lot of flack from those up here about moving. I have not totally crossed off moving to Trinidad; but really do have to wait until some financial things are settled so I know better what my bottom line will be from this point forward. The fact that it has a hospital; the senior center for the county is there are big pluses for me.

This thread has been very helpful to me in opening me to some areas I had not considered before as well as somethings I need to consider when deciding to move.

So again I thank all of you

Diana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado