Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 PM

17 posts, read 71,055 times

Advertisements

Group,
My husband and I currently live in Loveland. We have an opportunity to pick somewhere else in the state we want to move it. We love Loveland but hubby's job is making us move. He's a hydrologist and I'm a stay at home mom and nurse. We love the outdoors; specifically fly fishing, hunting and jeeping for him and horses (I have 1) for me. Obviously with a little one schools are important as well. Given a choice we'd stay right where we are because Loveland offers all that we want but that's not an option. So given that, where else is comparable in your experiences? Some places we've thrown around are GJ, Meeker and the Durango/Cortez area. We've only spent some time briefly in each so don't have a strong opinion. Any other areas/thoughts/ideas? We would be in the 200,000-300,000 price range if that helps.
Thanks in advance!
Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,486 times
Hello anyone:
I am exploring the possibility of our family relocating to Colorado. I was there in 1982 on a Retreat to Colorado Springs for the summer and swore I would return someday to live there with my family. Now, 43, I'm itching for a change. We currently live north of Atlanta. Our home price range would be $250-300K max, and we have two kids, 8 and 11. Anyone know of a good area near a large job market? Thanks

Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM

26,253 posts, read 49,162,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynetteinGeorgia View Post
Hello anyone:
I am exploring the possibility of our family relocating to Colorado. I was there in 1982 on a Retreat to Colorado Springs for the summer and swore I would return someday to live there with my family. Now, 43, I'm itching for a change. We currently live north of Atlanta. Our home price range would be $250-300K max, and we have two kids, 8 and 11. Anyone know of a good area near a large job market? Thanks
Two largest job markets are Denver at 2.5 million and COL SPGS at 500k. Your budget suits you better in COL SPGS.

What sort of jobs are you guys looking for? The more you tell us.....

Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM

648 posts, read 2,943,880 times
Mike is right, check out Colorado Springs. Go to https://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado-springs/ and you will get pictures and PLENTY of information.

Last edited by bashep; 12-28-2007 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: addded link

Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 44,201 times
I moved to CO from Blue Ridge, GA 23 years ago and love it! I love the mountains of Blue Ridge, too, but CO has everything and no humidity. Pueblo is my favorite location in CO and I have lived in Leadville and Montrose, too. Housing market in Pueblo West is about $150k for a three bedroom house and most houses are on an acre. Lake Pueblo is just south of Pueblo West and a great state park with fishing and boating. I am very active in the school system (volunteer and substitute) and the schools are good, with three elementary, two middle, and one high school. Our sports programs are strong with State 4a Football Championship, Softball Championships (2) and regular showings in most state playoffs.

Pueblo West is a relatively new community and the average age is around 40 with lots of kids. Close to Pueblo where many job opportunities are and decent wages. I worked in Colorado Springs for years and did not like the commute and traffic. Pueblo is pretty quiet and has all of the amenities. You'd be shocked at the change from Hot 'Lanta, as I lived in your area for 16 years.

If you end up coming out to look and are interested in Pueblo, let me know [ mod cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-31-2007 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Use DM's instead

Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,024,541 times
To learn more about Grand Junction, do a search on it. There are many existing Grand Junction threads. Finding real estate in Durango within your price range is likely to be extremely challenging, however you could still find something in your price range in Grand Junction. Good Luck with your move.

blessings.....Franco

Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,262,375 times
Too bad you have to leave Loveland, it was home for us and we miss it still after 26 yrs in PNW. We've recently looked at coming back, but only to West slope (can't do traffic, smog and hyper-speed pace of front-range life)

With your price range, GJ will be tough, Meeker and Cortez likely.

Do some bargain shopping, as there should be some in the next year.

I'd consider WY if that is an option. Longterm I think it would be a better choice, (taxation, state funding, population issues) but not Rock Springs, Rawlins... Maybe Sheridan, Buffalo (Bighorns). Right now the energy areas are a bit too high in home prices in CO & WY. But in a few yrs the energy cycle will have sellers walking away from their homes as they are forced to find other work locations, as has so often happened in the past. Not pretty for them.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 AM

Hello.
I have questions, lots of them. We live in Cumming, Georgia. I want to move to Colorado....convinved the kids...working on the husband. What can you tell me about your recent move? Any regrets?

Hey Guys!
Thanks for getting back...new to this thread thing, and got lost!
Well, I've got the kids ready to move, son (11), daughter (8).
Just have to convince the husband. He thinks I've lost another screw or marble or something along those lines. Go figure....
He has had a reputable painting business in Atlanta since 1992, and wants to stay here. I would teach Science possibly or work in the administrative A/P, A/R field.

We live in a newer home around 2600 sq ft. just north of Atlanta. Would be glad to trade in the golf community life for a more down to earth scene and smaller home. Can you get a four bedroom on a basement for $250-$275k? I am tired of living in Atlanta (my whole life) with all of the transplants moving here and the "keeping up with the Jones" attitude. Just looking for a good family community and a cool breeze on my face. Something to slow us down is very appealing. Any comments? What's a smaller town feel close enough to commute to something in our job market?

Thanks, Lynette

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Merging 2 posts into 1 post.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynetteinGeorgia View Post
Well, I've got the kids ready to move, son (11), daughter (8).
Just have to convince the husband. He thinks I've lost another screw or marble or something along those lines. Go figure....
He has had a reputable painting business in Atlanta since 1992, and wants to stay here. I would teach Science possibly or work in the administrative A/P, A/R field.

We live in a newer home around 2600 sq ft. just north of Atlanta. Would be glad to trade in the golf community life for a more down to earth scene and smaller home. Can you get a four bedroom on a basement for $250-$275k? I am tired of living in Atlanta (my whole life) with all of the transplants moving here and the "keeping up with the Jones" attitude. Just looking for a good family community and a cool breeze on my face. Something to slow us down is very appealing. Any comments? What's a smaller town feel close enough to commute to something in our job market?

Thanks, Lynette
I understand your husband's point completely. Also, you haven't produced a good economic argument to convince him to start all over and re-establish his current business.

I don't think the Jones' thing or attitude thing will be much different. Those are characteristics of demographics not geography. Besides, a lot of current Colorado people are ex-California people; With regards to the faster pace you might be going from bad to worse.
You might end up moving next door to a ding-a-ling from California like this:
http://www.killerentertainment.com/images/Comedy%20Events/mona2.jpg (broken link)

It costs something like 8%-10% of the price of your house to move so for you you'd have to come up with around $20K after tax dollars just to move.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Good Point.
She's not far from what you see here in Atlanta from time to time, too (may have one or two in my neighborhood....ha ha).
Anyone else out there with any other opinions or recommendations on a good area to settle that would fit our price range?
Thanks, Lynette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado