Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
again, there are places that manage their growth, maintain their character and charm, and to a seemingly relative large extent, stay pretty friendly without getting huge. they may not be huge economic engines and have an issue or two of their own, but what priorities do we want to go with? i think people allow some of these things to happen, and that some of the decay that's cited can come of periods of mismanaged growth.
This is EXACTLY what I was trying to emphasize as the OP. Thank you, Hello World. It's called greed, and that's what is occuring across the board. All over the country. I am sure I have really offended many of you now. And to all the transplants from out east I've offended, your children's children will deal with the ramifications of what's happening NOW, as we speak. None of you have roots anymore, because you abandoned your own in hopes of establishing them elsewhere. But it's called progress, right? It's about people all wanting a piece of ONE pie, and not taking into account that the pie is only so big, and will only feed so many before there is nothing left of it. But afterall, when there's nothing left of it,we will still have made that "progress"? Progress in terms of no open land, over-population, fewer resources? No thanks. Right now I appreciate the elbow room I have. I think many of you do too. Maybe I am wrong and you want to live on top of eachother???

I think that progress comes at a price, but we tend to lose sight of the BIG picture when were overly preoccupied with OUR own agendas (THE ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR) rather than thinking about the way in which we go about it. You all have moved here to get away from something in the states you once called home because of the MISMANAGED growth in your hometowns. As I stated before it's called GREED.

Look at the sprawl from Fort Collins to Loveland, the areas between Fort Collins and Wellington. The sprawl is ugly. Every little piece of farmland eaten up by developers to accomodate more people! Call me old fashioned, "bitter", "resentful" but the ugly truth is that there are TOO many people! Over-population should have been my original topic but my stance is still the same, I don't appreciate what's happening to Colorado, and I don't believe it's progress for the better.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM

88 posts, read 437,414 times
Default same in my home town

I grew up in Stanford Palo Alto, Stanford university. Kind of like your home town, It has turned into multi million dollar homes and people messing up all the open spaces. I feel for you. Good luck in Colorado, the battle has been lost for some time here in California.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:04 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Im sure the same thing was said of Denver in its early days. Its just part of a town or city maturing
Yes, I hear this all the time in Atlanta as well. Atlanta is basically seen as an outcast in Georgia and the South in general. But, it's funny how so many people complain about Northerners/yuppies/whomevers destroying their city but are perfectly willing to take in the money and added amenities brought by the population booms.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Im sure the same thing was said of Denver in its early days. Its just part of a town or city maturing
i think it's still said about denver and it's metro. look on other cities' threads. some will sound a lot like a lot of this. some will have other consistent complaints, but not these. look at vancouver, minneapolis, chicago, burlington, ithaca, portland, eugene, phoenix, kansas city, arcata, knoxville, chattanooga. it could be interesting to see what common threads emerge there, and what differences there are. some of them will have other issues. some of them will have more of these complaints.

the yuppy quality (which i probably appear to have myself, to some, admittedly), the relative "distance" of people, and the quality of the sprawl in places like some of the front range and perhaps some - definitely not all - other cities can be pretty profound. in other american cities, not so much. that said, i do agree it's getting tougher to get away from some of the negatives of some of these things (and some of these things, period). what does that have to do with? should we be thinking about what as a society we're doing?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Yes, I hear this all the time in Atlanta as well. Atlanta is basically seen as an outcast in Georgia and the South in general. But, it's funny how so many people complain about Northerners/yuppies/whomevers destroying their city but are perfectly willing to take in the money and added amenities brought by the population booms.
atlanta, houston, denver, and kansas city metros are similar in some ways (e.g. the nature of some of their growth), for example, and so i would guess will get more of some of these complaints. i'm not so sure everybody here is HAPPY with the "amenities" (e.g. roads all over the place that result in more traffic that results in more roads...). personally, i don't blame it on northerners or any other people of other "regions" - it seems to me that it might have a bit more to do with some philosophies that people (or governments) most anywhere can have, more so in some places than others, so some places get more of some of these kinds of things. as for palo alto and some other californian places, i think they can serve as a model for how things can go if "growth growth growth" (and some of the hollywood or "this is shangri la") are what's promoted. some of metro denver/the front range is a carbon copy of some of that kind of model. palo alto reminds me a bit of boulder - at least they're done with some sense of quality in mind. but the exclusivity that is promoted there can be something to be careful of i'd think. maybe we shouldn't continue to...GROW so much, and "NEED" (ahem, WANT) so much?

Last edited by hello-world; 12-31-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 09:13 AM

127 posts, read 434,107 times
Default Agree with Whymsy 2008

Regarding Whymsy 2008's comment on general rudeness: The concept everyone has always preached "look our for yourself because no one else will", can be seen as a great source for today's rudeness. Also, parents never taking the time with their kids to teach them basic manners, respect for elders and the rewards that come with being generous/courteous to your fellow human beings is another big reason. How you were brought up is a big reflection of what you pass on to your kids.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:21 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
I don't understand all the whining about overpopulation and how FTC is out of control. Colorado isn't overpopulated by any means. I moved here from the L.A. area 2 years ago. If you want to see overpopulation, drive around L.A. for a while.

I believe that in California, illegal immigration is totally out of control and has contributed to the overpopulation there drastically. So what ends up happening is that people like me get fed up with the extreme traffic/out of control housing costs/overcrowding and we leave - move to Denver. And, by the way, I moved to an urban infill area, happily live on a very small lot, and didn't contribute to sprawl. But as long as this country's population keeps rising and immigration, legal or otherwise, is rising rapidly, people will leave one area for another. And with so many parts of the world so intensely overcrowded, it's inevitable that the U.S. will ultimately become the same way. Sad, but true, unless some huge disaster kills off millions and millions of humans.

But if you feel that this state is overcrowded, you need to travel more.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't understand all the whining about overpopulation and how FTC is out of control. Colorado isn't overpopulated by any means. I moved here from the L.A. area 2 years ago. If you want to see overpopulation, drive around L.A. for a while.
give the front range another 10 years (you've only been here for 2), and you won't have to go back to LA to see it. it is quickly becoming LA sans ocean.

Quote:
I believe that in California, illegal immigration is totally out of control and has contributed to the overpopulation there drastically. So what ends up happening is that people like me get fed up with the extreme traffic/out of control housing costs/overcrowding and we leave - move to Denver. And, by the way, I moved to an urban infill area, happily live on a very small lot, and didn't contribute to sprawl. But as long as this country's population keeps rising and immigration, legal or otherwise, is rising rapidly, people will leave one area for another. And with so many parts of the world so intensely overcrowded, it's inevitable that the U.S. will ultimately become the same way. Sad, but true, unless some huge disaster kills off millions and millions of humans.

But if you feel that this state is overcrowded, you need to travel more.
again, you are describing the front range to a growing extent. and i would agree that overpopulation is part of it, while our PERCEIVED NEEDS seem to be another part.

as for carefreeAZ's comment, i agree. "individual liberty" can be a good thing and have a nice ring to it, though people seem to often take a mile for any given inch if possible.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,661 times
not much more to add than what's already been said... I could say the same about my "home" of Raleigh, NC. Just look over at the NC board. But I know that things change adn I look at all the good things that have happened b/c of hte massive influx. Heck, when I was growing up, not that long ago, the school system was one of the worst in the country and now, people flock to the public schools in many metros in that state.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,618,555 times
I think we already have enough suburbs in this country. People need to get involved with the local governments who are permitting and encouraging sprawl. I believe cities should be more concerned with refurbishing their inner areas, instead of constantly growing outward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado